Author Topic: I'm still seeking George Henry Tolley in 1911  (Read 875 times)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
I'm still seeking George Henry Tolley in 1911
« on: Thursday 01 October 20 17:42 BST (UK) »
George Henry Tolley is an enigma I don't think I'm ever going to fully solve.

He was born in Leicester in 1868 to James Tolley of Warwick and Maria Hart. In 1889 he married Lois Mary Pick (born in Ibstock) in Leicester, their first child, Lois Maria was born shortly after their marriage. The couple went on to have another daughter in 1892, the same year that George Henry attested to the military.
George Henry bought his discharge in 1894 and in 1895 it appears that Lois Mary gave birth to another daughter, Nellie Tolley, however it seems that though George Henry was listed as the father Nellie was raised as Nellie Tolley Golby by William Golby and his then wife and the only record of Nellie being Lois' child is on the 1911 census where she adds Nellie onto the return and changes the number of children born in the marriage from 3 to 4. It appears that Nellie was not known to her half sisters as none of them knew anything about her and my MIL adamantly insisted that her grandmother had only 3 daughters.

The 3rd daughter was Neva Tolley born in 1903 in Lancashire and christened in Leicester shortly after her birth.
I have discovered that Neva had a daughter and another member of the family made contact with her family. All went well until George Henry was mentioned. Contact was immediately stopped and all attempts to reinstate it have been ignored. (I intend to have a try myself at some point as I'm hoping to barter information that they may not have.)

Anyway, I know that after some turbulence George Henry cleared off to Birmingham, where he lived for the rest of his life. (I believe he died in Birmingham in 1941)

I know that he enlisted during WW1 and transferred as a general something or other (ground crew) in 1919, or at least I think I know that, I now can't find the record I took some of this information from.

What I can't find is where the heck he was in 1911. I am almost certain he was in Leicester at this point because I've got a feeling I stored some info about him showing he was in Leicester the following year but the computer I used at that time has crashed and I have no access to that information.

One or two people have suggested he's there on the census but have not given me any idea where to look and he isn't coming up on either FindMyPast or Ancestry. I am hoping someone on here can point my in the right direction so that I can fill in that gap. Any hwelp will, as always, will be most gratefully received.
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: I'm still seeking George Henry Tolley in 1911
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 October 20 17:57 BST (UK) »
There's some court reports of interest.

1. Leic chronicle, 1 May 1915; George Tolley, shoe hand of 3 Canning st was summoned for assault by his wife Louise Tolley when drunk.

2. Leicester Daily Post, 19 June 1915, entitled "The lure of the bottle"; George Henry Tolley, age 47,a shoehand of 3 Canning St was charged with breaking a recognisance order (what's that? I think it was like a probation order that he received in the May case) by drinking. The bench "regarded the case as a bad one" and he was sentenced to 2 months hard labour.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 October 20 18:18 BST (UK) »
By the way, you say that George bought his army discharge in 1894, and that Nellie was born in 1895. How do the timings match up? Is it possible that Nellie was conceived whilst George was away, and although registered with his name, wasn't actually his child? That might explain why she was brought up elsewhere.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 October 20 02:00 BST (UK) »
Another newspaper article - Leicester Chronicle 14 August 1915

Maintenance Order - Geo Hy Tolley (47) shoe hand, was summoned by his wife, Mary Tolley, 59 Abbey Street, to show cause why a maintenance order should not be made against him.  Mr Carnley, for the wife, alleged persistent cruelty towards his client, which the husband admitted.  An order of 6s per week, payable through Mr Ellwood, was made.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 October 20 05:25 BST (UK) »
1901: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XS4V-F4S

1911, Lois and 2 daughters: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X75C-CZ5

TOLLEY, LOIS  MARIA mmn PICK 
GRO Reference: 1889  J Quarter in LEICESTER  Volume 07A  Page 272

TOLLEY, ELIZABETH  ANN mmn PICK 
GRO Reference: 1891  S Quarter in LEICESTER  Volume 07A  Page 273

TOLLEY, NELLIE mmn PICK 
GRO Reference: 1895  J Quarter in LEICESTER  Volume 07A  Page 267

TOLLEY, NEVA mmn PICK 
GRO Reference: 1904  M Quarter in CHORLTON  Volume 08C  Page 741

Related thread: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=746946.0

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 October 20 06:37 BST (UK) »
There is a rate book for Birmingham 1913 George Henry Tolley is at 4 Tower Road the owner of the house is Mrs. K Adams.
This lady owned several houses on that street.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 October 20 06:38 BST (UK) »
Do you know his exact birth date if so have you found him in 1939?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 October 20 08:46 BST (UK) »
George Henry was born the June quarter 1868 in Leicester. 

Think there is a fairly obvious suspect in 1939 and occupation matches up.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 October 20 11:55 BST (UK) »
I think the question is......

What I can't find is where the heck he was in 1911.

Debra  :)