Author Topic: Frederick George Fennell - help please  (Read 694 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick George Fennell - help please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 October 20 18:54 BST (UK) »
Another son Alfred John Fennell mmn Ford - born & died Dec qtr 1891
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 October 20 18:55 BST (UK) »
I didn't beat you, I worked the other way round and had already listed all the possible births.  I had just about discounted the Monmouth one as being unlikely lol!

Poor chap went down on HMS ACASTA  Jun 1940, which explains why I couldn't find him in the death index.

Alice also lost her first husband in WWI at sea on HMS Paragon
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 October 20 18:59 BST (UK) »
I see Amelia was b Newport Monmouthshire - but I wonder why children are shown as b Cheltenham?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 October 20 19:02 BST (UK) »
by 1911 the children are all listed as  being born Newport.
I have just found  Frederick's baptism on FindMyPast ... transcribed as Frederick ALICE Fennell  ;D
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 October 20 20:52 BST (UK) »
DEATH OF P.O. F. G. FENNELL
REPORTED MISSING AT NARVIK
News has been received of the death on active service of Petty Officer Frederick George Fennell, the son of the late Mr. John Fennell, of 89, Tewkesbury-road, Cheltenham. Petty Officer Fennell, who was 48 years of age, had previously been reported missing at Narvik. Educated at Swindon - road School, he worked at the Cheltenham General Post Office as a telegraph boy for about two years before joining the Navy at the age of 16.
GREAT WAR SERVICE He served throughout the Great War, retiring in 1935 with the rank of petty officer after 22 years' service. He was called up at the outbreak of the present war, and served for some time in H.M.S. Hood, before being transferred to H.M.S. Aster, in which he was serving at the time of his death. Shortly after the last war Petty Officer Fennell married Mrs. Cissie Swann, and on his retirement made his home at Portsmouth:

FENNELI- May 23, 1939 John Fennell, late 89 Tewkesbury-road, aged 70. —Funeral Saturday, 10.30, from 31 Swindon street.

On December 31st.[1936] at General Hospital, Cheltenham, Amelia, beloved wife of Jack Fennell, 89 Tewkesbury-road. 

FATAL STREET FALL Inquest On Cheltenham Woman An elderly woman's fall in the street which led to her death was described at a Cheltenham inquest on Tuesday. The Coroner (Mr. J. D. Lane) held the inquiry on Mrs. Eliza Amelia Fennell, aged 63, of 89 Tewkesbury-road, Cheltenham, and he returned a verdict of accidental death. A son, William John Fennell, of Depot House, St. James'-street, Cheltenham, said that his mother had told him that on December 12 she went out shopping and had slipped as she was crossing Worcester-street. She complained of a pain in her thigh, and on the day following the accident she was taken to Cheltenham General Hospital, where she died on December 31 (1936] Mr. James Betts, a lodger with Mr. and Mrs. Fennell, said he warned Mrs. Fennell before she went out that the road was very slippery. In a short while she was brought back to the house by two women and was subsequently put to bed. She told him that she had slipped. Dr. Thomas Maurig Williams, house surgeon at Cheltenham General Hospital, said Mrs. Fennell had a fracture of the right thigh and was suffering from broncho-pneumonia when he saw her on December 30. She was then dying. Death was due to broncho-pneumonia brought on by the fracture.