Author Topic: newspaper article?  (Read 751 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
newspaper article?
« on: Friday 02 October 20 16:46 BST (UK) »
Elias Dana Beeghly (also shown as E.D. in some records) born 1858 Ohio died 1935 Connecticut. He was a salesman for the American Seating Company.
Resided-
1900 Dayton, Ohio
c1905-c1911 Manhattan, N.Y.
c1911-c1915 New Rochelle, N.Y.
1917-1935 Greenwich, Conn.

I thought there was a mention of him serving on jury of a famous court case but unable to find newspaper article again. The murder of architect Stanford White by Harry Thaw in 1906 is the one that rings a bell but maybe was merely during the same period.
https://dustyoldthing.com/evelyn-nesbit-gibson-girl/

I also remember seeing an article of a commuter train crash (not sure if he was mentioned by name) probably while he lived in New Rochelle but this is not the trial I am looking for.

I have details of family, all census records, etc. so am only looking for details of court case.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: newspaper article?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 October 20 17:27 BST (UK) »
New-York Tribune
New York, New York
Friday, February 01, 1907 - Page 2

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01px3/

OR

edit added- https://www.rootschat.com/links/01px4/

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 October 20 17:36 BST (UK) »

I also remember seeing an article of a commuter train crash (not sure if he was mentioned by name) probably while he lived in New Rochelle but this is not the trial I am looking for.

I have details of family, all census records, etc. so am only looking for details of court case.

The New Rochelle Pioneer
December 20, 1902
Page 6

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 October 20 17:44 BST (UK) »

The New Rochelle Pioneer
December 20, 1902
Page 6

Eastern State Journal
November 29, 1902
Page 2

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: newspaper article?- completed with thanks
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 October 20 19:35 BST (UK) »
Wow that was so quick! I haven't been online since starting the thread so it was a lovely surprise to find the information you found.
I thought the train accident was slightly latr so glad to have the date confirmed (paper I remember seeing in an old trunk in the 1970s or 1980s was the report of the accident itself but the clipping here are of much greater interest.
The Gibson Girl (Evelyn Nesbitt) came up recently and I thought I remembered E.D. Beeghly was one of the jurors but wasn't completely sure and couldn't find his name mentioned in any online stories of the scandal.
Thank you again  :)

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 October 20 21:44 BST (UK) »
Thought you might like the names of the jurors to rule out your guy.

The World, Evening Edition
New York
28 Jan 1907

Two men, W.R. Stockbridge and Dundas W Howard were challenged by the defense and exempted from the jury.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 October 20 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the jury list (28 Jan.1907), Genealiza but the 1 Feb.1907 article mentions Elias D. Beeghly (reply #1) and that fits with story about him being at trial.

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 09:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the jury list (28 Jan.1907), Genealiza but the 1 Feb.1907 article mentions Elias D. Beeghly (reply #1) and that fits with story about him being at trial.

In the US the prosecution and the defense both have a number of peremptory challenges they can use to disqualify a juror without having to explain why. From reading the articles, I think Elias was in the jury pool of possible jurors, but was rejected by the defense.

On the other hand, I thought there were always 12 jurors on a case like this and the image posted includes 9. Were there 12 for this trial?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
Interesting, oldohiohome, but I read it that the defense queried his inclusion but couldn't see that he was actually disqualified.

Note: E.D. Beeghly was orginally from Ohio, oldohiohome.