Author Topic: Naughty Blackburn parishioners - excommunication & penance registers 1700s  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Mary the Virgin, Blackburn.
Excommunications 1744-1758 (44 records)
Penance 1743-1755 (28 records)
Both lists indexed by surname.
New on Lancashire Online Parish Clerks website this week.
www.lan-opc.org.uk/Blackburn/Blackburn/stmary/index.html
The vast majority of people on the penance list were guilty of "ffornication". A few had committed "adultrey". The penance list began on 1st Jan. 1743/4 with Henry WHITTACRE (clandestine marriage). Next entry was November 1744 Martha WHITTAKER , wife of Henry WHITTAKER (clandestine marriage).
No reason recorded for excommunications.
These are the first excommunication and penance registers I've seen on LANOPC.
Also new on LANOPC are baptism, marriage and burial registers (1700's) of Darwen and Tockholes parishes which were then in Blackburn parish.
Cowban

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Naughty Blackburn parishioners - excommunication & penance registers 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 October 20 21:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information Maiden Stone. I don't think I have ever seen such lists in Parish Registers before -- or maybe they were in separate records just kept in the Parish Chest.

I wonder what happened when the ex-communicated ones died. Probably they had to be buried in unconsecrated ground with no actual funeral service -- it's not something I have ever thought about.

Also, if any of these people were unmarried -- would they be allowed to marry in Church I wonder?

It's also got me wondering about the 'penance' - would that be monetary - or would they have to perform free work for the Parish?

These are rhetorical questions I hasten to add -- no doubt I will be able to find out.
Very interesting.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 October 20 21:48 BST (UK) »
After the reformation the penance took the general form of reading a confession in church during morning service on a Sunday, the performance being afterwards duly certified to the judge by the officiating minister and the churchwardens.
If you are interested you can read about Penance in "A Practical Treatise of the Laws Relating to the Clergy" http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gxg/
There is a topic on excommunications at https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=824298.0

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 October 20 04:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information Maiden Stone. I don't think I have ever seen such lists in Parish Registers before -- or maybe they were in separate records just kept in the Parish Chest.

I have come across lists of excommunications a couple of times - usually at the back of a parish register when I've been trawling through a film. Always worth a look at other pages of a register rather than just honing in on a particular bmd we're looking for. (I know I'm guilty of that too!)
I can think of Alstonefield in Staffordshire as an example off the top of my head.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 October 20 08:08 BST (UK) »
An ancestor of mine was excommunicated in 1782 in Tadcaster, along with two other females.  Her burial in 1801 took place in the churchyard. 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 October 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
Thank You everyone for your information and comments.

It's a subject which interests me. I do have a copy of the book by W.E Tate entitled 'The Parish Chest'. I have had this for some years - but just looked in it again for the subjects of excommunication and penance.

There are several examples quoted. In one Parish Register - 'Middleham, Yorks' in 1792 - the vicar has written;

'I enter under the head of burials, as spiritually dead, the names of.......................'

In another case in 1696, Thornton, Bucks;

- ' Francis Colman dyed March 3rd but was not buryed in thes paresh bec. he dyed excommunicate, and was fetched by some Anabapt. brethren to a Burying place of theirs at Stony Stretford.'

A penance example from Croyden, Surrey;

Margaret Sherioux was enjoined to stand iij market days in the town and iij Sabeathe dayes in the Church, in a white sheete, with a paper on her back and bosom showing her sinne.... She stood one Saurday and one Sunday and died the nexte'.

Isn't it interesting! I must return to this book more frequently to refresh my memory - as I fear my brain is turning into a sieve!
Places of interest;

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 October 20 14:28 BST (UK) »
Her humiliation was compounded by the outfit that she was forced to wear - a white sheet wrapped around her, with bare head, legs and feet, and carrying a white rod......................Anne failed to perform her penance, and because of this a sentence of excommunication was passed, preventing her from receiving holy communion and setting her apart from the rest of the townspeople.

Penance and Punishment  http://www.rootschat.com/links/07ql/   

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 October 20 16:07 BST (UK) »
Oh Gosh, thank you Stan -- you would not think that the people who handed out these cruel punishments had a single Christian bone in their body.
Places of interest;

Offline BashLad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 October 20 20:22 BST (UK) »
Personally I was thoroughly disappointed not to see any of mine in there. But never mind.
WHITEHOUSE- Bromsgrove, WANE - Eccleston, TOWERS - Blackburn & Ribble Valley, COLLINGE - Rawtenstall, THOMAS - Penzance, Whitehaven, Haslingden.