Author Topic: Naughty Blackburn parishioners - excommunication & penance registers 1700s  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Naughty Blackburn parishioners - excommunication & penance registers 1700s
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 October 20 20:54 BST (UK) »
Bashlad -- if you had naughty ancestors -- you have to share the details with us please. It's the law!!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline BashLad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 October 20 22:11 BST (UK) »
Well. A maternal great-grandfather didn't marry my great-grandmother seeing as he was inconveniently married and she wouldn't get a divorce. Didn't stop him from having four with the wife and 6 with the mistress. The other maternal great-grandfather supposedly left me with cousins in Peru while his wife was in England. But he told his sons their mother cheated on him as well so it's all fair I guess. Eventually I solved my paternal grandmother's line when I stopped assuming they were married before they started having children. 4 generations. 4! in a direct line! But somehow they passed the paternal name down. And I'm barely going to touch on the multitude having children about 5 months after getting married.

Safe to say I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for compounded adulterers and fornicators. And I wouldn't change any of them either.
WHITEHOUSE- Bromsgrove, WANE - Eccleston, TOWERS - Blackburn & Ribble Valley, COLLINGE - Rawtenstall, THOMAS - Penzance, Whitehaven, Haslingden.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 October 20 13:13 BST (UK) »
Gosh -- you did SO well having a good 'Bash' at those obstacles in your tree, 'Lad'! Well done you.

I also had 2 colourful, paternal great grandfathers, both living in Accrington, a small town adjacent to Blackburn - where those naughty parishioners were shamed.

One died in 1896 in Lancashire Asylum aged only 46. He came from a staunch Methodist family. The cause of his death was 'Paralysis' - which I took at face value, but later discovered that it meant 'Paralysis of the Insane' and was caused by Syphillis! How dreadful. I don't think the family could have known the real cause of his illness.

The other one was Irish, but had moved over to this area in the 1870s - he had 10 children by his wife - but in the 1901 census, in his 60s - he was living with a 24 year old 'Wardrobe Dealer' shown as his wife on the census. His wife was living with one of her (their) daughters.

The irony of this is -- my own father, when he was born, was named after BOTH these grandfathers of his!

It is entertaining though, just to have a bit of 'colour' in your family tree.

Well done again on working your way through your winding family lines.

Places of interest;

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 October 20 13:20 BST (UK) »
Not Blackburn, but luckily for me my great grandfather was thrown out of a Baptist congregation for "fornication and drink" They were a forgiving lot as 5 years later he was thrown out again, this time just for drink.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 October 20 13:56 BST (UK) »
Glad to see he had cut his bad habits by 50%. That's progress!
Places of interest;

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 October 20 19:22 BST (UK) »
No! They finished up with 11 kids, though I have only ever found 9!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 October 20 22:36 BST (UK) »
Redroger, I hope they weren't all conceived in fornication.  :o
Cowban

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 18:42 BST (UK) »
Once married that becomes impossible of course. It all becomes legal!