Author Topic: Professional Athlete  (Read 491 times)

Offline HamishDundee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Professional Athlete
« on: Friday 02 October 20 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, I found recently that my great grandfather had an interesting occupation: Professional Athlete.

It strikes me as an unusual occupation to have in the present day, never mind ~100 years ago, so I'm curious to know more! My question is, would there a good starting point to explore it further? Event records, maybe?

I'm aware there is a good amount of detail kept to track present day athletic performances, not sure how far they go back though.

TIA

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Professional Athlete
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 October 20 10:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Hamish.

The term "Athlete" conjures up images of modern track events but 100+ years ago it didn't have quite the same meaning. When a group of professional athletes got together in 1906 and voted to form an association, newspapers reported that the meeting was "representative of pedestrians, wrestlers, dancers, and other classes of athletes".

Have you searched for mentions of your great grandfather in contemporary newspapers?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 October 20 14:34 BST (UK) »
This is one definition in the OED
b. A person who (naturally or through training) has the traits required for proficiency in sports and other forms of physical exercise; one is physically strong, fit, and active.
A pedestrian in this context was someone who walks or runs in athletic competition.

There are many newspaper references to Professional Athletes in the 19th Century 
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HamishDundee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 20 20:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I see, will look into the topic further in newspaper archive history.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 October 20 20:40 BST (UK) »
"The Repair Shop" this week (BBC1) was renovating a belt issued to the "World Pedestrian Championship" (or somesuch title  ;D).

The chap concerned was a champion walker.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 October 20 21:39 BST (UK) »
From "A Dictionary of Occupational Terms"
Professional Player; for purposes of gain, takes part in public exhibitions or competitions of a game or sport; keeps in physical fitness by exercises and practice under direction of a trainer or coach; sometimes acts as coach, trainer or instructor to members of a club; usually specifically designated, e.g. professional athlete, billiard player, cricketer, footballer, golfer, boxer, racquets player, tennis player, walker, wrestler.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk