Author Topic: Fathers Name and Townland  (Read 497 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fathers Name and Townland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 October 20 13:18 BST (UK) »
Anthony and Anne formerly Gallagher whose Father was also Anthony married in 1868. There are 2 Marys aged 21 dieing in 1866 and 1867.  Wish they would hurry up with the 1864 to 1877 deaths.  Am over giving the Irish government $7.30 on a regular basis. Anthony is listed as a bachelor but being so young the mistake could easily be made. Thanks Kiltaglassan.  The Irish Batter's look to have been a bad lot. They only seem to show up in court.

Anthony Gallagher and Anne Gallagher’s marriage in 1868 was Dromore West, Sligo  :-\
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1868/11452/8207029.pdf

1864 birth Mary - parents Wm (William) and Mary Batter
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03627/2338975.pdf

Is your Mary the one who marries Patrick Doherty? Are you certain that this is the right couple?
Do you have them in the censuses?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 October 20 19:57 BST (UK) »
Opps. De clicked Letterkenny without realising I had done that. Thanks Heywood for spotting my boo boo. Back to the drawing board on this this evening

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 October 20 20:09 BST (UK) »
Where do you have your family with proven record?

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 October 20 22:39 BST (UK) »
That line we come from Craghy. First. We remember. Mum said here Great grandfather was Edward Doherty from Craghy. My uncles went tromping around Letterkenny trying to find her youngest brother Edward in the early1960's . Unfortunaely records show that he was at a nephews ex of Breenagh for his last years. My great grans marriage and death certificates say Edward Doherty and Bridget McCormack. Her half sisters (8 years her senior )say Edward Doherty and Bridget Meehan. Their verbal history says that her and her brother were raised by relatives in Breenagh. The half sister had a large family and I spoke to 4 descendants of them from different strands. The story was the same and they all grumbled about being in their late 80's and 90's. All sharp as and with better hearing than me. My Gran and her siblings birth certs say Mother's birth place as Craghy.
The ones I am currently looking at are Bridget McCormack's sister Unity/Winifred McCormack who married Denis Hegarty and lived  at Craghy. Now this I admit I am taking on relatively blind faith from Census notes from the 1901 census at Donegal Genealogy Resources.
Am in for morning tea.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 October 20 23:03 BST (UK) »
I am a bit lost but never mind.
This is 1901 - Unity Hegarty
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Seacor/Craghy/1187357/

Who was your great Gran? When was she born?

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 October 20 00:35 BST (UK) »
No. My great gran was Kathleen/Kate/Catherine Doherty born in 1863, the missing year between church records that end in 1862 and the beginning of civil registration and later church records that show baptisms for her siblings.This date matches the age on her death certificate. Her parents were Edward Doherty and Bridget McCormack. From verbal history there were two older siblings to Edwards first marriage to Bridget Meehan. Mary came to NZ and married Hugh Kennedy and a brother who went to Scotland. From verbal history these two were raised by a Doherty sibling in Breenagh (up the road from Craghy). The McCormack's were from down the road at Altadush aka Altidush. Those two families (Scotland Doherty and the NZ Kennedys) lost contact thru the WW2 years. My family and Marys family (the Kennedy's) were in physical contact till the late 1990's. Now contact is on a genealogical basis.
Unity McCormack, according to notes on families,  in the 1901 census at "Donegal Genealogical Resources" was the sister of Bridget McCormack.