Author Topic: Diary - Friday 2nd October  (Read 467 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Friday 2nd October
« on: Saturday 03 October 20 08:19 BST (UK) »
It seems that no one has started Fridays Diary so I’ll begin...

I’m sure we were all thinking about Jeff and his family today and hoping that things went ok for them all...
Carol has also been in my thoughts and I hope that she and her family are coping with her sons sudden illness together for the strength they need...

My day was pretty unspectacular, the weather was dull, wet and cold all day...
I finished off the face coverings and went to meet S to hand them over and receive more fabric... whilst waiting for her she phoned to say she’d left the rainbow fabric at home so she’d drop it off to me rather than me waiting... I returned home.. She arrived a while later... I’ll isolate the fabric for a while before starting the next batch...
OH has been busy beavering away at his jigsaw and determined to get it finished! Why I’m not sure as he’s hardly rushed for time!
I sat and read for a while and then we had a game of scrabble... which I won so I’m now only two games behind...
Dinner was easy chilli with jacket potato and broccoli...
Watched tv
Early night as had felt tired most of the day...
Well I see that Mr Trump and wife have tested positive .... bet he won’t be spouting about not wearing face coverings now... gone to hospital for rest after having cocktail of drugs to help him.... I did wonder at the start if it was fake news and a political tactic.... it would appear to be genuine!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Friday 2nd October
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 October 20 08:54 BST (UK) »
First of all we would like to thank all RootsChatters for their continued support since Nick died. It has been a great comfort to us all as we struggled to come to terms with such a sad situation.

Yesterday was windy and wet but this did not deter those who were invited to the Service at Bath Crematorium. We arrrived in plenty of time only to find that all the invitees had beaten us to it and were waiting patiently at the Crem entrance.

The service was "streamed", or whatever the techie term is, and so Andrew and his family could watch the proceedings , live,  10,000 miles away. His part in all this was to co-ordinate the invitations to all Nick's friends ( most of whom were Andrew's friends also). This took a lot of pressure from us.  A recording will be available for the next 28 days for those who could not attend or watch the streamed service to catch up and we will also have a DVD of the event.

The service was Nick's memorial with music he loved, a song written and recorded by his mate Chris, some family choices and very poignant reminiscences, both sad and entertaining, of his life.

We managed to squeeze in the maximum allowable mourners into the chapel, and occasionally let our gaze wander to the beautiful view down across the valley below.

A sad, but very memorable day.

Once again thanks to you all

Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 October 20 09:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Jeff for taking the time to tell us about your day....
It sounds like a lovely service for your son Nick, with a personal song written by one of his friends to..
Although you were limited to numbers able to attend with the wonders of modern technology so many more friends were able to share this time with you all. For you son Andrew in Australia even more important.
Sadly I too know Bath Crem as my dear fathers service was there in 1974, but I know the book of remembrance is turned each day for visiting friends and family to see which is a comfort.
Take care and our thoughts are with you all.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 October 20 09:20 BST (UK) »
Jeff,  I'm glad to know that we have been able to offer you some comfort, I'm sure I speak for all when I say that we'll continue to be here for you. Good to hear that the funeral went well both for those who were able to attend and Andrew  and his family at the other side of the world.

My thoughts too with Carol.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 October 20 09:23 BST (UK) »
Caroline, well done with the scrabble, you're slowly inching forward! 

My day:

Had set my alarm to make sure I was up and ready for my art class Zoom lesson. Woke up before it and was trying to persuade myself to open my eyes.

Had a large cup of tea and got myself and the necessary equipment ready. Doing a class in the morning is really not my thing. This one wasn't muted as it wasn't a demo but I muted myself as I was coughing quite a lot, particularly when my voice hadn't got into gear. It's just a morning thing. Had notification that my parcels were due to arrive between 10.45 and 2.45, that was changed later.
Class was about preparation for next painting, was useful but I was wishing that other people were muted, it's very noticeable through this kind of meeting when someone keeps chiming in with comments like "How lovely! ". Probably just me being grumpy.

Parcels arrived just as class was finishing. Unpacked my new kettle and boiled it umpteen times and threw the water away. Meanwhile I was trying again to get the printer to print pictures in colour, it was driving me mad. Eventually I uninstalled and reinstalled it. Then had to connect it to WiFi, hooray, it worked at long last! Printed my picture then tried to print the one my friend L had sent me as she was unable to print and has gone away for a few days. It wouldn't print, the format was wrong. After trying all sorts I opened it in Paint and was able to print it, did two copies to be on the safe side. Put them in an envelope to post to her, I think we're going to give our art class get together a miss next week and hopefully resume after that.

Had a (white bread!!) sandwich for lunch then out for a walk, went via the postbox and so a slightly different route. It was good to get out in the fresh air, not particularly warm but ok. Unpacked my new dumbells, I wanted to buy just a single one but they're nearly always sold in pairs.

Didn't feel motivated to do much when I came back but did some tidying around and some ironing. Had no idea what to do for tea, wanted something easy. Ended up making a pan of pasta sauce and just adding some tuna to the pasta and sauce. Glass of wine, it's Friday.

Same evening as always.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 October 20 10:08 BST (UK) »
Jeff thank you for sharing about your day. It’s great that things can be live streamed for those who cannot attend for whatever reason, but this is the first time I’ve personally heard of a dvd being available ,which is a very good development in my opinion.
North East of England

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 October 20 01:17 BST (UK) »
I forgot to look for Friday's post. Too many things going on in my brain.
Was thinking of Jeff and his family, hoping they would have a nice day.

Thank you, Jeff, for letting us know about your day. Glad your son was able to be with you even if it was on the computer screen.

Talking about computers, when my youngest granddaughter was little I was skyping her every night. She was about 3. I went for a visit and was surprised when my granddaughter lifted the lid of the laptop to see my house. She had thought that grandma lived in the computer. It was then that her mum and dad realised what she was doing during the day. She was looking for grandma.
Stay Strong Stay Safe
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 October 20 15:13 BST (UK) »
I forgot to look for Friday's post. Too many things going on in my brain.
Was thinking of Jeff and his family, hoping they would have a nice day.

Thank you, Jeff, for letting us know about your day. Glad your son was able to be with you even if it was on the computer screen.

Talking about computers, when my youngest granddaughter was little I was skyping her every night. She was about 3. I went for a visit and was surprised when my granddaughter lifted the lid of the laptop to see my house. She had thought that grandma lived in the computer. It was then that her mum and dad realised what she was doing during the day. She was looking for grandma.
Stay Strong Stay Safe
Carol

Your grand daughter thinking you lived in the computer sort of made me smile Carol, but it is not unusual I fear. When I met my grandson in OZ for the first time he was getting on for 3 years old.    I noticed he made several furtive glances at the family computer and then back to me with a very puzzled expression.  But I did get a hug from him after a few days!!

I am relieved to know Nick's funeral service was attended by many who knew and loved him, and that had a few entertaining moments to mitigate the sadness of the occasion.

I shall see about the promised lists for those who asked in the next couple of days.

Sending the best of wishes to everyone.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.