Author Topic: William Burnett sentenced to death.  (Read 258 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Burnett sentenced to death.
« on: Saturday 03 October 20 15:29 BST (UK) »
 Hello
I hope someone with better eyes than me might be able to  work out what is on the Criminal Record sheet for William Burnett in 1804. Record on Ancestry. He was born 1776 in Kent but is tried in London on 11/4/1804. Sentence is death but i can read he was Pardoned but not why.
Many Thanks.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: William Burnett sentenced to death.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 October 20 15:44 BST (UK) »
No note of the reason for the death penalty being commuted, but he was transported for life, and there is a note that this sentence had been carried out.

Cannot currently read the second line - perhaps someone else will have better eyes!

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 October 20 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hello
I hope someone with better eyes than me might be able to  work out what is on the Criminal Record sheet for William Burnett in 1804. Record on Ancestry. He was born 1776 in Kent but is tried in London on 11/4/1804. Sentence is death but i can read he was Pardoned but not why.

Are you talking about William Barnett?
Why have you said Burnett?
Old Bailey website
https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18040411-23-defend282&div=t18040411-23#highlight
11 April 1804
James Nixon and William Barnett were indicted for burglariously breaking and entering the dwelling-house of Thomas Hargrave , on the 21st of February , about the hour of two o'clock at night, and burglariously stealing....

Both sentenced to death
Is Willm Barnet on the Criminal Registers

The Digital Panopticon
William Barnett
Sentence respited 13th June 1804
https://www.digitalpanopticon.org/life?id=obpt18040411-23-defend282

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 October 20 16:53 BST (UK) »
 Thanks to you both for clearing that up. Completed .

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 October 20 17:52 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of newspaper references to Nixon and Barnett, although they don't add much to what you already know.

Morning Post
23 Feb 1804
charged
Mansion House
Yesterday James Nixon and William Barnett (notorious offenders) were exammed? charged with burglariously breaking and entering the warehouses of the Ipswich Arms Inn, ____-street, Fenchurch-street. They were both fully? committed for trial.

Sun (London)
14 Jun 1804
Recorder's Report
Yesterday the Recorder made a Report to His Majesty of the following 18 prisoners under sentence of death in Newgate: - George Smith, Mary Anderson, George Donohow, James Heath, John Smith, alias Lacey, Richard Anderson, John Kemp, James Draper, Jeremiah Corneille, James Nixon, William Barnett, Robert Harris, William Gill, alias Matthews, Caroline Matthews, Elizabeth Fisher, Mary Ann Taylor, Edward King, and Louis Darney; when they were all respited during His Majesty's pleasure. - The cases of Robert Astlett, and fifteen other prisoners, were not reported.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson