Author Topic: Minding our own business!  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Minding our own business!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 October 20 22:58 BST (UK) »
A few moons ago I noticed somebody who has some of my family names in their tree had uploaded some short newspaper articles depicting court cases of siblings of her and my ancestors.  I'd already seen the articles which showed one was a perpetual drunken thug and who eventually nearly killed one of his brothers.

I hadn't put any notes about these men against siblings of my ancestors and the reason is that in the area there are several families who have the same surname and whose offspring carry the same given names.  The newspapers didn't give parents names and I don't think I should smear the dead who cannot answser back.       I'd never heard anything about the misfit family and older cousins hadn't heard anything either. It isn't as though the family didn't have eyebrow raising stories, such as an alleged embezzler (who I haven't yet found).   
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 October 20 13:06 BST (UK) »
I'd record things from some time ago, but I've put nothing that might upset people on the computer about living people or their parents - prison stuff, parents marriage much later than expected etc.
 I do pencil in things on the printout, however.

(their grandparents are fair game, so I waited till an uncle died before adding his parents' "late" marriage to the version circulating in the family.)
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 18:03 BST (UK) »
I think it's tricky because some people are far more sensitive then others and you don't know how they are going to feel.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel that I've learnt a lot more about the past doing my family history then I knew when I started. For example, I thought illegitimacy was rare and shocking, but I've found that isn't the case. Some people do find that upsetting though.

I have some ancestors who did unpleasant things, which I don't mind talking about, but some people see that as a mark of shame somehow.

It's hard to deal with.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 18:45 BST (UK) »
I think it's tricky because some people are far more sensitive then others and you don't know how they are going to feel.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel that I've learnt a lot more about the past doing my family history then I knew when I started. For example, I thought illegitimacy was rare and shocking, but I've found that isn't the case. Some people do find that upsetting though.

I have some ancestors who did unpleasant things, which I don't mind talking about, but some people see that as a mark of shame somehow.

It's hard to deal with.

BUT it was what it was, when it was!  Live with it  :) We cannot change history!  Accept it  :)

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 22:02 BST (UK) »

I started searching for my maternal grandmother's maternal ancestors.  I'd done the "easy bits" in West Yorkshire, then couldn't find hide nor hair of the records of the earlier generation so googled for the mother.  Up popped her name in Huntingdonshire online archives charged with fornication!  That led me to her marriage, which was the next day. :D    Obviously papa had taken his shot gun and the couple's feet didn't touch the ground until they were in church  :D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke