Author Topic: DNA shocker  (Read 2924 times)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: DNA shocker
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 October 20 11:47 BST (UK) »
Annie the family history is that they lived together as a family so the tree remains valid  .to me blood line is interesting but family life from past is what matters .I m interested in my Nana's adoptive family ...i her foster father was born in a workhouse ..their birth children would have shared same values. + If I could find living descendants I'd consider them family too .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 October 20 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Has anyone else done an Ancestry DNA test and had a surprise result?

I think many people, myself included, have had a surprise result. DNA tests should come with a warning to be prepared for anything!

In my case I had a strong match at the first to second cousin level, which was inexplicable. My conclusion was that my mother and my matches mother were half sisters. I won't go into the detail of how and why I reached this conclusion.

I can understand that you are upset at "losing" a major part of your tree, I felt the same.
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 October 20 11:53 BST (UK) »
To some biology means everything and to be honest I would be gutted if I did a DNA test and found that a beloved 3xgreat grandfather wasn't a blood ancestor.

I have to say that none of my 3xgreat grandparents are "beloved" by me as they were all long, long dead before I was so much a twinkle in anyone's eye!

I am someone who has become attached to certain ancestors, so beloved is in the eye of the beholder.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your replies
*UPDATE^
One of my friends suggested signing up to ‘Through Lines’ on Ancestry, as this may throw up some matches and help me out.
Well low and behold one of my cousins suddenly appeared as a 3rd cousin once removed and they hadn’t been there at all prior to that.
I therefore am related to them and I am therefore able to say that my 2 x gt grandfather is indeed that!!
I still have another branch that has been thrown into question by the DNA ,but hope to sort it out eventually.
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline Seesure

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 12:08 BST (UK) »
Keep your chin up with it...

Through DNA (I used Ancestry and then uploaded to MyHeritage) with the help of a cousin we managed to identify our real GT Grandfather on my mother's side.

As a result we've identified that my grandfather had 13 half siblings by this "previously unknown of" man and his wife, plus we also have another DNA lead that points to another half sibling, by this man, that was also outside of marriage with another woman.

So it looks like my grandfather, in total, had at least 17 half siblings that we've now identified, (we already knew of 3) and I'm guessing there are at least a couple more waiting to be discovered :)

With that last one, the person who we have high DNA links with says they don't have time to explore their family history although we believe them to be retired.. it's a shame but we'll slowly unravel it.

Personally I'd say look at it as the opportunity to find that long lost family who might have some interesting stories to share...

guest189040

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
It is very frustrating finding a DNA Shocker or rather an unexpected match.

I am detailing my own trials and tribulations of a 364 cM match in the thread that I started:-

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=837260.0

Hours and hours have so far been spent creating my Floating Branch of the high cM match which has now been linked together to four other shared matches, so now I have five DNA Matches in their own mini tree but try as I may I cannot yet link them to my own Tree.

We are now in the midst of creating a Leeds Method analysis spreadsheet so it is very much a work in progress.

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 12:51 BST (UK) »
No surprises yet.  But I am the surprise to many.  I knew that my grandfather wasn’t my grandfather, but others didn’t know about the wandering eye of a family member.  One of my half first cousins knew we weren’t full cousins, but another didn’t and it has taken him a while to get his head around the secrets in his family tree.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 16:00 BST (UK) »
If only that were true. I have already had one brusque, rather dismissive email wishing me ‘luck in the future’ as though all ties are cut now. I feel really sad about it and not knowing who my great great grandfather is , is really upsetting.

As has been said, it may be 'upsetting', but genealogy always includes the chance of discovering some facts you would rather have not found.  It can be a Pandora's box.  Objectively nothing in 'you' has changed, but you feel that your surroundings are unfamiliar.  If you aren't ready to deal with the unexpected it might be safer to stop digging, but the search itself should be enjoyable.  You may have to readjust your bearings occasionally.

Of course you could simply continue to believe whatever you prefer to believe - there is always plenty of room for doubt.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 21:14 BST (UK) »
So glad that thru lines came up with some positive connections for you .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson