Author Topic: What have I done wrong?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What have I done wrong?
« on: Saturday 03 October 20 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'm still a beginner (tho getting better) and just cannot work this one out - can anyone help?

I have a photo of a wedding. It has all my family in it, including my grandfather for whom we have plenty of other pix and we know what he looked like and when. We believe from his hairline in the wedding photo (he was a guest) that the photo is mid 1930s.

I've had the photo dated from the fashions on display, including peeps on here and also the Costume Society UK; the fashions are from 1934/35 onwards; definitely not before.

We have bridesmaid in the photo who is clearly around the age of 18-28; no younger. We know who this bridesmaid is and have plenty of other pix of her so we know it's around the mid 1930s from her age.

And finally we have groom's granddaughter saying the groom looks just like her dad (who would have been the son of the groom in the photo who married into the family).  And she's sent me a photo of her grandfather and her father and she's right; the groom looks the same as her grandfather and very similar to her dad.

And she sent me several photos of her grandmother - who would be the bride in the photo. It's exactly the same; nose, mouth, eyebrows, hair colour, height and stature.

BUT BUT BUT the records from the church show the couple in question married in 1924. And he died in 1934.

And by 1935 she was living with her mum and her new boyfriend.

So the marriage can't be them.....or can it....and if it's not then who could it be given the bride and groom look exactly like the pix their grand daughter has sent through? There were other Digby siblings for sure but I have accounted for all of them; none of them got married in the mid to late 1930s and the only possibilities are in the mystery wedding photo as bridemaids or guests.

It's not a friend's wedding as it has the family name written on the back and all of my family are there as bridesmaids etc.

Argh! Help!

George Edwin Meredith (correct name and surname as verified by granddaughter) born 10 March 1901 and died 26 Apr 1934.

Married my great aunt Elsie May Digby born 1903. Grew up Peasbody buildings, Pimlico and then in 1935 as a widow moved to 6 Killarney Road Wandsworth London SW18 with her new boyfriend Ernest Trickett - both are there on the 1935 ER and the 1939 reg. They married in 1950 which is too late to have the mum (left of photo) alive - she defo died in 1946 so it's not her second wedding.

They married 25 Dec 1924 which is confirmed by the church records - availabe on Ancestry and the civil marriage records index.

Both records can't be wrong, can they? So what is it that I have done wrong? Where is my mistake? What other possibilities are there for this mystery photo which looks exactly like George and Elsie - but in 1924 my grandad would have been 14 years old - and he's defo not 14 in this pic.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What have I done wrong?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 October 20 19:16 BST (UK) »
Here is George Meredith

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 October 20 19:17 BST (UK) »
Here is her second husband + Elsie +son (all deceased now)....when I zoom in on her face it has all the features of the bride

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 October 20 19:18 BST (UK) »
And here is Elsie later on in life, but again, the features are the same as the bride....

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 October 20 19:22 BST (UK) »
This is part of the church record. The bride's father etc is correct, as is their address. But it's 1924 - and not mid 1930s. I am so stuck.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 October 20 19:49 BST (UK) »
Might they have “renewed their vows”.  (Thought this was a recent fashion but you never know).
After all, there were 5 weddings on Christmas Day 1924.  How did the Vicar squeeze them in.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 October 20 19:50 BST (UK) »

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 October 20 20:04 BST (UK) »
6 Killarney Road

https://www.streetcheck.co.uk/houseprices/sw182dx

Thank you - but pls tell me the relevance of recent house prices of Killarney Road to this question? The house stayed in the family for ages so we know it's definitiely the correct one but was sold before your link begins.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 October 20 20:05 BST (UK) »
Might they have “renewed their vows”.  (Thought this was a recent fashion but you never know).
After all, there were 5 weddings on Christmas Day 1924.  How did the Vicar squeeze them in.

I did wonder, but it seems very "unDigby" - known for being a no-nonsense type of family!!