Author Topic: What have I done wrong?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: What have I done wrong?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 October 20 20:25 BST (UK) »
Personally, I don’t think the later photos are the same people as the bride and groom, sorry.

Comparing ears are a good way to begin the comparison and the groom has slightly sticky out ears whilst the photo of George Meredith doesn’t. Also the bottom lip doesn’t appear the same to me.

The bride has a different nose to the last photo of Elsie, I personally think the young lady peaking out on the right hand side looks more like her and from what I can see of the hairline, the chap behind the groom could possibly be George.

Clearly you can both see family resemblances so it must be a family wedding, just not the one you are hoping for.

Just my thoughts.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 October 20 20:35 BST (UK) »
Personally, I don’t think the later photos are the same people as the bride and groom, sorry.

Comparing ears are a good way to begin the comparison and the groom has slightly sticky out ears whilst the photo of George Meredith doesn’t. Also the bottom lip doesn’t appear the same to me.

The bride has a different nose to the last photo of Elsie, I personally think the young lady peaking out on the right hand side looks more like her and from what I can see of the hairline, the chap behind the groom could possibly be George.

Clearly you can both see family resemblances so it must be a family wedding, just not the one you are hoping for.

Just my thoughts.

Thank you for this. I do appreciate it and I am certainly willing to listen to other views about who the photos could and could not be. It's just that the granddaughter is so certain that the groom looks just like her Dad....and the groom married into the family.

The thing is, WHO ELSE COULD IT BE?!! I have run out of marriages and it must be family as all the family are there including my grandfather's mother IN LAW and my grandparents didn;t meet until 1935 earliest. She certainly wouldn't have gone to a random friends wedding.

DIGBY SIBLINGS FROM Peabody Estate, Pimlico.

Walter - died at birth. I have his death cert.
Cecil - died in WW1. Confirmed by his regiment and the war records.
Sydney - married Mary Ann Curd in 1926 - too early for the fashions displayed at the wedding and for my grandfather and great aunt to be the ages they clearly are in the wedding.
Elsie - married 1924 (too early) and 1950 (too late and her mother is in the wedding photo above and shed died in 1946)
Alice - 1928 - too early and her granddaughter says it's defnitiely not her grandparents in the mystery photo
Fred - 1931 married Minnie Hardingham. Too early plus I have a different photo of their wedding and they're wearing different outfits etc
Beatrice - didn't get married til 1970.
Mabel - she was very blond plus I have photos of her first wedding in 1940 and it's definitely not this one and defintiely not her; I have lots of pix of her. Her second wedding was in Texas and none of the family went but they;re all in this photo.
Harold - it's not him. He's on the right in this pic as a guest.
Dora - it's not her. She's the little bridesmaid at the back, confirmed by her own daughter.

I have searched and found no other Digbys at all born to the couple, and none on any of the ER or 1939 reg or anything, either at Peabody Buildings or at 6 Killarney Road.

So you see, I have run out of weddings!

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 October 20 20:39 BST (UK) »
How about a Meredith brother of George?

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 October 20 20:44 BST (UK) »

Interesting thought. I hadn't thought of it. It looks like he had three brothers: Mark b 1892, William b 1893 and Fred b 1898.

I'm not sure why all my family would all be at the wedding (and bridesmaids of) of the brother of their dead brother - in -law  who had died the year before though.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 October 20 20:47 BST (UK) »
Have you paged through the st Gabriel’s or 1932 to 1935? 

Thinking that the head bridesmaid, would have witnessed.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 October 20 20:48 BST (UK) »
Have you paged through the st Gabriel’s or 1932 to 1935? 

Thinking that the head bridesmaid, would have witnessed.

No I haven't , I don't know how to do this, please can you help?

Have found this now, I am paging.....

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 October 20 20:50 BST (UK) »
easier to compare with 3 heads being better than one...
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 October 20 20:50 BST (UK) »
easier to compare with 3 heads being better than one...

Thank you for this.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 October 20 21:04 BST (UK) »

Mark William Meredith married 1919 - too early, cant find a second marriage. Interestingly his address was 4a Peabody avenue, so the Merediths were neighbours of my family, which could explain why they were at their dead brother-in-law's brother's wedding. But it's not Mark's.

William Meredith - can't find a marriage that I know to reliably be the right person - can anyone help please? he looks to be born 1893. Father William. Mother Sarah.

Fred Meredith - married 1936 = too early. Can't find a record of any second marriage.