Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 3rd October  (Read 1728 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 3rd October
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 October 20 15:01 BST (UK) »
Well... the several grey squirrels bouncing all over our back garden and driving the cats mad will have loads of delicious - I've munched many of them as I potter around the back garden - hazel nuts from the large corkscrew hazel in our back garden ( as usual). They are absent minded, though - I find little caches of them all over, and of course many seedlings result - but as I only want the one corkscrew hazel, so I've never let the seedlings grow large enough to see if the "corkscrew" as well as their parent! ( I believe it's the result of a virus, but the bare, contorted tree in winter is beautiful)
Ah yes, Viktoria, I remember that store well. The dodgy milkshake I had as a child came from the store I was thinking of, in the 1960s.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 October 20 15:31 BST (UK) »
Don't worry Viktoria, gribbles bury about 3 x more than they eat, which is just as well, because some naughty gribbles watch where others are caching a hoard, and then they raid it!!  :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 October 20 17:20 BST (UK) »
I had forgotten that Mowsehowse.
And  bulbs!
The Heritage Society in our little town planted hundreds of Crocus bulbs at the approach ,by the river which can be seen from a steep hill as you come off the motorway.
I had one of those circular cutters ,took a plug of soil out,bulbs dropped in,plug back,job done .
Others used a hoe to make a narrow slit.
Come Spring and no crocus where I had planted ,plenty elsewhere.
Then—— we saw the plugs of earth ,pulled up by gribbles no doubt !
Yes ,they are cheeky little thieves aren’t they.

Just come off the phone ,can you believe it ,from speaking with my friend who I was convinced (and so were her family ) was going to die.
Perfectly lucid, sounded frail ,but a good care package in  place and her son there all the time.
No chance of seeing her ,but at least she knows I have been in touch with her family about her.

Well I did not go on tour with The Dubliners,slept right through.!
I laugh when I think how my OH disliked  folk singing and  Trad Jazz!
We had a record of Peter Sellers making fun of it, Well the boys did.
An Irish band,  In a crowded pub, de diddle de diddley , etc .
Someone says to the fiddle player” You played a bum note there Pat“——-
Crash ,bang scream ,glass and glasses shattering ,tables and chairs thrown, - ,,ambulance and Police sirens etc.but  the music never stopped.
You have to hear it really  ;D

Flash Harry’s Mummy is doing Bodyshop stuff,I might order some ,I send
money but like to give a modest gift too.
Where will we be at Christmas ?
Home probably!
Hope everyone is OK , I feel happy I have seen FH ,and his family and spoken with my friend.

Had a laugh with another friend ,lives on The Gower.
She sent a couple of photographs of her and her husband, her with Lionel
Blair  who was being all “ lovey”  and her husband who was furious LB
was so “ familiar “with  my friend.Arms folded ,black looks and very menacing!
Fred Flintstone was surely modelled on him.
He bred our Lavender budgie .

Well must go, daughter phones tonight for a couple of hours ,FH’s Nanny.
Keep safe everyone .
Viktoria.
His face!

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 October 20 17:27 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to let you know that I’m sitting in my hotel room in the Lake District. I rang the holiday company this morning and got a really sensible man. Anyhow he talked to his manager, my booking was reinstated and an hour or so later my bags were in the car and I was on my way. To be honest I don’t think they have a clue about shielding and that it was paused in England on 1 August and I could go out! Not that I go mad it’s just nice to know I can go out. I think they understand now!

It’ll be interesting to see what I have forgotten as I just threw things in my bags nothing like my usual neat packing.

So many thanks for all your support.

PS Good news about your friend Viktoria

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 05 October 20 17:31 BST (UK) »
Jolly good, really pleased.
Enjoy ,
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 October 20 17:38 BST (UK) »
 :D  Hurrah.

That is marvellous news.

Have a lovely holiday Gibel.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 October 20 20:26 BST (UK) »
That's fantastic Gibel, I'm so pleased for you, hope you have a lovely time.  :)

And great news for you too Viktoria, it must be such a relief to talk to your friend.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 05 October 20 21:51 BST (UK) »
Enjoy Gibel, you have waited long enough, will give you a boost

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 00:07 BST (UK) »
Oh dear I’m having trouble catching up with everything!
Viktoria - delighted you got to see FH and his mummy & daddy too... even if no leg hugs just lifts the spirits seeing them doesn’t it..
Good news too that you were able to speak to your dear friend.. I’m sure it’s given you some peace of mind too...

Gibel - pleased to hear you’ve managed to get some sense from the holiday company and you’re now enjoying a break away... I’m sure it will boost your spirits and be even more enjoyable for that reason...

Gribbles, as you call them spend a great deal of time running along our fence having collected walnuts from our neighbours front lawn and digging holes in our lawn to bury them... also the flower beds, plant pots, veg patch and anywhere else they can think off.... the fence is right along side my kitchen window and when I’m pulling up the blind and see me they stay very still and so do I staring at one another, then quick as a flash they’re off! Come spring time we’ve got walnuts sprouting everywhere...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK