Author Topic: Louisa/Maude Moss  (Read 1498 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Louisa/Maude Moss
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 October 20 08:35 BST (UK) »
Here is some more.

It also helps with the whereabouts and  what ever happened to Mr MOSS (Thomas)  ::) ::)

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/75655877

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 October 20 09:43 BST (UK) »
This doesn't actually refer to this thread, but I was wondering how to enlarge the text so that I can read the above Trove links. The older version of Trove had a button for enlarging, this one only has a button for making the text smaller. Unfortunately I am unable unable to read the text in the above links. I am using an Android tablet. Is anyone able to asist please.

Regards
Jennaya

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 October 20 08:30 BST (UK) »
For those who have been following this thread I have enjoyed an afternoon's work looking into Mrs Jane MOSS and I hope dunscore will soon be online to review the details.

Well Mrs Jane Moss was full of surprises, many of them negative. :o

How or why she managed to became the adoptive parent of your Maudie, I cannot fathom!

The links from 1884 and 1885, above which I have given describe how she came to the home of Henry JONES in the Maryborough area of Qld.
 Depending on whose testimony you believe in the maintenance case, , she was brought to Australia by the JONES couple on a return trip from England to meet up with her husband, Thomas MOSS already here.

The JONES’s had been married in 1859 (B000006a)  (her maiden name Mary Ann HUDSON) and among their children was James, c 1865, William and the last child to them Ruth. (1876/1053)

The certificate of the UK MOSS marriage is digitized at Ancestry and shows her surname as ROBERTS and his father’s name as William MOSS. The birth of their child Mary is noted in this thread.

The trouble seemed to begin after Mrs Moss moved in with the JONES’s and she became ‘the other woman ‘ and caused disruption to the marriage. There are conflicting stories about this situation and possibly by the mid 1870’s, Henry had moved to a home with Mrs Jane MOSS.

The next I find them is at Maryland QLD  in 1890 where according to testimony, they had been known for 16 years in the district and regarded with suspicion. Together with James JONES, Henry’s son, Jane and Henry were tried and convicted for horse stealing and served time in Armidale Gaol

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/76983615 
And
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/251637280

The Ancestry records of them at the gaol give extra information including a description of Mrs MOSS, aged 48 who was a nurse and who had arrived in Australia in 1875. I cannot decipher the ship's name.

I have no sightings of either of them after this until Mrs MOSS appears at Vineyard.  Others may have more success.
Once settled in Vineyard, there are easy to find references to her wonderful fund-raising and catering efforts  and the coming and going of visitors.

I do not know at what point Henry JONES “became Mrs Moss’s brother” but the pair were absolute pillars of the church and community.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/86217974?searchTerm=%22%20%20moss%20vineyard%22~20%20-irish%20-vale

Struck by lightning ;)
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/85855883

She stuck to the story of siblingship with Henry JONES to the very end of his life andseemed to have persuaded others of the family to do so too.
Death notice
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16078001

I cannot quite rule in or out this report sighting of a bigamous marriage in Surry Hills for one Jane MOSS around 1891/2. I cannot see a date for the marriage and after all, Jane MOSS is not such an unusual name.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/251639533

Sue

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 11 October 20 08:57 BST (UK) »
Well done Sue  :)  Some very interesting finds! :o

Jennaya, I don't know if it is different on an Android tablet (but shouldn't be).   This is how it appears for me with the magnify button arrowed in red.

Ros

adding : This may be more useful Jennaya - specifically how to zoom on an android
https://gadgetstouse.com/blog/2016/02/05/android-large-text-zoom/

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline dunscore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 October 20 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone,
I have just returned from a four day break and did not take computer.  I will go through all your Posts properly tomorrow, but just glancing, there were things I certainly did not know.

Dunscore

Offline dunscore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 04:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone, especially Sue for her afternoon's work.  Henry Jones, Jane Moss' supposed "brother" certainly did not read in Court, as a particularly nice type of person.  I can only assume that he was possibly a "father figure" for my little Louisa/Maude!  However, as residents in the Vineyard area, they seem to have been the pillar of society.  I did find an article on Louisa, implying that she went to Sunday School in Windsor and had won a prize.

I do have a Death Transcript for Jane (11 June 1927).  Her father's name and occupation Unknown, but her mother's maiden name was Henrietta Roberts.  Witnesses to Jane's death were F Morris and
W H Roberts (?)  Her place and age at marriage shown as Unknown and Children of Marriage only showed Maude, 31, Living and None Deceased.  Why was her only biological daughter (who was deceased) not shown too?  Her Spouse was shown as Thomas Moss (not noted that he was deceased). 

After the time she spent in Queensland, why was that not included?  Presumably the Informant to her death knew nothing of her past life!

A Thomas Moss died at Texas Flats, Queensland on 1 April, 1912.  His father shown as William Moss and it noted that he had one female child who was deceased (she died in 1909).  Informant to Thomas' death was Sarah Moss, his wife, of Texas.

I cannot "fathom" why little Maude was fostered by Jane Moss either.  Complete mystery and probably will remain so. 

Louise's middle names of Jennings and Cunneen I feel do give a clue as to who her biological father might have been!

"Brick Walls" are meant to be broken, but this one is still firmly in place!

Once again, thanks to everyone.

Dunscore

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 05:10 BST (UK) »
Can you please give the name on the DC of Jane MOSS that is in the column headed Informant.

Sue

ADDING.
Also the relationship to deceased of said informant.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 07:27 BST (UK) »
Do you have this document. I might be interesting to see how Maude describes her origins.

BDM NSW marriage

8139/1916 PETTITT  Ernest      marr.    MOSS  Maude     @ Parramatta

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 08:32 BST (UK) »
In recent times, I discovered that my Grandmother had a baby girl in 1896 whom she named Louisa Jennings Cuneen McDougall.  Although adoptions in Australia did not commence until 1924, Louisa was either given to or fostered by a Mrs Jane Moss. At the time, the baby's mother, Agnes McDougall, was living with her family in Surry Hills, Sydney and Mrs Moss was in the Riverstone area.

Cheers,
Dunscore

Well, a bit of a search around and I cannot get any sightings of Mrs MOSS living in the Riverstone area at the time of the infant's birth. She seems to appear there later.

There is a Sands Mcdougal Directory entry for
Mrs Jane MOSS listed at 26 George Street Glebe in 1897

As you may know, a common way of placing children with carring people to act as parents  was a simple advertisement in a newspaper.

With this in mind, a long shot might be this below.
The NSW BMD index shows the birth of Louisa had been registered by the date on this advertisement (18th April 1896)
The initials A M shown as identity for contact could be Agnes McDOUGALL.
Just thoughts ;D
Sue