Author Topic: Louisa/Maude Moss  (Read 1493 times)

Offline dunscore

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Louisa/Maude Moss
« on: Sunday 04 October 20 05:45 BST (UK) »
In recent times, I discovered that my Grandmother had a baby girl in 1896 whom she named Louisa Jennings Cuneen McDougall.  Although adoptions in Australia did not commence until 1924, Louisa was either given to or fostered by a Mrs Jane Moss.  At the time, the baby's mother, Agnes McDougall, was living with her family in Surry Hills, Sydney and Mrs Moss was in the Riverstone area.

I have no idea of the connection between my Great Grandparents/Grandmother and Mrs Moss, but they obviously kept in touch as my G. Grandparents attended the wedding of Louisa (whose name had been changed to Maud/e) in 1916, as per a wedding notice in the newspaper at the time.

I would love to find out more about this connection.  Whether my mother was aware of this baby who would have been her half sister, I have no idea.  Certainly nothing was ever mentioned!

I would be grateful if anyone can throw any light on this please.

Cheers,
Dunscore

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Louisa/Maude Moss
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 October 20 07:05 BST (UK) »
Mrs Moss had a daughter who died in 1909 in QLD
She is noted as the only daughter.

So at some time Mrs MOSS had been married (presumably) to Thomas MOSS

Death, Mary Emily Jane SWEEDMANN
09/06/1909
1909/C/3995
Mother Jane Roberts
Father  Thomas Moss

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/85863618

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 October 20 08:18 BST (UK) »
Mary had married in QLD in 1887

Mary Emily Jane Moss MOSS
 03/03/1887
 Marriage registration
1887/C/1775
Spouse John William SWEEDMAN

Sue

ADDING.
You may learn something about jane MOSS and her husband by downloading Mary's marriage certificate above.

QLD marriage certificates

Date
Couple's names
Couple's ages
Couple's birthplaces
Previous status
Couple's occupations
Couple's residences
Fathers' names
Fathers' occupations
Groom's mothers name
Bride's mothers name

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 October 20 11:38 BST (UK) »
So, as a possibility, for the ROBERTS/MOSS marriage here is one in England.

Marriages Dec 1867   
MOSS Thomas        
ROBERTS Jane
Cirencester
 6a/696

I am sure this couple can be found on census 1871, but at this stage, is anything relating to what you know of the birth family origins? Anything familiar?

Sue

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 October 20 13:06 BST (UK) »
 Hawkesbury Herald    28 Nov 1902  p10
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/66352874?
.....business in court........ names Jane MOSS...also Edward CUNEEN...

Windsor and Richmond Gazette 12 Jun 1909 p9
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/85864959?
.......at the residence of Mrs MOSS (Coates' farm), who had invited her friends to
meet and celebrate the 75th anniversary of her brother's birthday, Mr Harry JONES....

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 October 20 21:49 BST (UK) »
Census 1871

Living at the Anchor Inn in Cirencester Gloucestershire where he is the innkeeper.

MOSS, Thomas aged 26. Head Born Cirencester
MOSS, Jane, aged 28, wife. Born Gloucestershire, Coates
MOSS, Emily J. aged 3 , daughter. Born Gloucestershire, north Cirencester. 

Sue

ADDING
I cannot locate this family in 1881

This is possibly the child's birth

MOSS, Mary Jane    mms    ROBERTS   
GRO Reference:1868 M Quarter
CIRENCESTER Volume 06A Page 338 

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 October 20 07:06 BST (UK) »

"...my G. Grandparents attended the wedding of Louisa (whose name had been changed to Maud/e) in 1916, as per a wedding notice in the newspaper at the time."

Windsor and Richmond Gazette 26 May 1916 p9
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/85881993?
...Maud, adopted daughter of Mrs. Jane MOSS, late of Vineyard, and now oF Parramatta , and
granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Malcolm McDOUGALL, Carrington Hotel, Sydney.....

This has Maud described as grand daughter to Mr and Mrs Malcolm McDOUGALL.....but does not have them attending?

SMH 11 Aug 1917   p10
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/15606340?
...death of Jack McDOUGALL Galliopli....son of Mr and Mrs D McDOUGALL, Carrington Hotel ........

NAA WW1
McDOUGALL Jack : SERN 1303 : POB Sydney NSW
POE Liverpool NSW : NOK F McDougall Dougall

The people at the Carrington Hotel are Dougal and Janet McDOUGALL.

The birth certificate that you have for the 1896 birth.....can you please list all the information on it please......date and place of birth.....date and place of registeration.....name of informant.....age and birthplace of mother....

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 October 20 11:20 BST (UK) »
Well, I think I will wait to hear from dunscore before offering any more findings at this stage.

A bit of direction and more background would be helpful.
Sue

Offline dunscore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 05:06 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your help and comments re this puzzle!  I did try and reply yesterday but when I hit "send", my computer said not connected, so lost the lot!!

Although the wedding notice said Mr and Mrs Malcolm McDougall of the Carrington Hotel, I feel this is a misprint as their names were definitely Dougal and Janet (nee Robertson) McDougall.  Dougal was the Licensee of this hotel for many years and 3 other hotels in the inner city at various times.  The Carrington is the only one that is still operating as a hotel in Surry Hills.

My husband has located a couple of articles on Jane Moss in Trove, one showing that she had been gaoled for horse stealing I think in the Tamworth area.  Thomas Moss was her husband and I think they and their little daughter migrated to Australia as a family.  I have not found anything further on Thomas.  Did he die and she became involved with other men?? 

Their daughter Mary Emily Jane certainly did marry John William Sweedman and I have made contact with a distant relative in Qld. on the Sweedman side.  I did know that Mary died reasonably young.  Sadly this relative could not give me any info on my little Louisa/Maud/e.

Louisa's full birth name was Louisa Jennings Cunneen McDougall - Illegimate.  She was born on 7 Feb 1896 at 563 Bourke St. Surry Hills, NSW, (her parent's home).  Her father was not listed.
Mother's maiden name was Agnes Urie McDougall who was aged 19 at the time.  Agnes was born in Glasgow, Scotland.  She was the Informant of Louisa's birth.  Witness was Mrs McKenzie and she was registered 14 March, 1896, Sydney.  Reg. No. #00606

I have a death transcript for Jane Moss too  :
Reg. No. #10400
Death - 11 June, 1927
Place of Death - Thomas Street, Northmead, Blacktown Shire (daughter's home I believe)
Old Age Pensioner, Aged 84
Cause - Chronic Myocarditis
Father's name and occupation - both unknown
Mother's maiden name - Henrietta Roberts
Buried 13 June 1927
At - Church of England Cemetery, Rookwood
Born - Coates, England
Her place and age at marriage - both unknown
Spouse - Thomas Moss (does not indicate if still alive at time of her death)
Children of Marriage - Maude 31, Living, None deceased!!

Maude was not actually a "child of the marriage" and why wasn't Mary Emily, her biological daughter mentioned - unless the informant was not aware of her existence or there had been a rift in the family and no contact either before/after Mary's death!

Jack McDougall was one of 6 sons of Janet and Dougal McDougall of the Carrington Hotel, 4 of whom served in WWI.  Only one returned.  Jack killed in Gallipoli.

I did look at Ancestry for an Edward Cunneen and found a William Edward Cunneen whose wife's maiden name was Jennings!  As both Cunneen and Jennings are surnames, I feel there is a definite clue here as to who the father of Louise might have been. Not necessarily William though!

Jane Moss was obviously known to Edward Cunneen as per the Court article sent, so did Louisa go to Jane Moss so she could be near her biological father?  As the McDougall's lived in Surry Hills and Jane in the Hawkesbury/Riverstone area, how did they know each other?

It was only through doing my DNA that all this came about - there was a very close match to me and the only one it could have been through was Agnes, which has turned out to be correct.  Whether my mother was aware that she had a half sister (two as it turned out!) is something I will never know.  This lady and I have had contact and was in fact a granddaughter of Louisa/Maude and she did know that Louisa had been brought up by Jane Moss but had no idea of the McDougall connection.  At least I could confirm one parent for her and with photos.

Many thanks again for help and if anyone can add anything, I would be very grateful.

Dunscore