Author Topic: Frodsham/Cheshire Burials  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Neil_A

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frodsham/Cheshire Burials
« on: Sunday 04 October 20 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm looking at the burial pages for St. Lawrence Church Frodsham that appear on Find My Past.
Someone has helpfully referenced some of the burial pages with a specific grave reference e.g. OGB/14/04. In certain instances there is a supplemental page with the transcription of the headstone itself.

Does anyone know if a map of the churchyard at St. Lawrence at Frodsham exists which uses the references? I have dropped a note to the local archives but was wondering whether this sparks any insight from forum members.

Many thanks

Neil

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frodsham/Cheshire Burials
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 October 20 11:17 BST (UK) »
I would be inclined to contact the church - I'm assuming that they will have a plan of the graveyard, and will be able to suggest where this particular grave is situated.

Or Frodsham and District History Society - https://www.infrodsham.uk/frodsham-district-history-society

Or  http://frodhistoryarchives.co.uk/
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 October 20 13:21 BST (UK) »
Have you looked here - they say that 94% of headstones photographed.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2215020/st.-laurence's-churchyard
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

guest189040

« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 October 20 13:42 BST (UK) »
I have a lot of relatives interned in St Lawrences and Find a Grave was very useful as has been suggested already.

Physically in the graveyard it was another matter, when we visited to pay respects to my two sets of Great Great Grandparents it was very badly overgrown and unkempt with only specific graves well cared for so presumably by their family members.

We now have no close living relatives living in Frodsham.

Offline Neil_A

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 October 20 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you both.

I've dropped the local history group a note - so thanks for the link on that group.
I have been using the find-a-grave web site which has just wetted my appetite further to make another visit to the church yard.

I've been there once before to see my great * 3 grandfather's resting place. The more digging I can see more relatives from the 19th century buried there. So sad to hear that the grave isn't cared for, I'm some distance away, but do want to return one day.

Thanks again
Neil

guest189040

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 October 20 16:17 BST (UK) »
I am 60 miles away and just called in after having am excellent Lunch and the Royal on Main Street.

We did see the Vicar wondering around and asked him why the graveyard was in the state that it was, its up to the Council was his response and it definately touched a raw nerve with him.  He obviously wanted to do more but his hands were tied.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 October 20 16:37 BST (UK) »
We did see the Vicar wondering around and asked him why the graveyard was in the state that it was, its up to the Council was his response and it definately touched a raw nerve with him.  He obviously wanted to do more but his hands were tied.

That's a shame, I have lots of ancestors buried in the graveyard but I live at the other end of the country so can't help out.  Strangely, until I started researching my family history I didn't know I had ancestors from the Frodsham area, although I'm sure my mum did so why we never went there I don't know, we were only a few miles away when I was young.

I wonder if like Phillips Park Cemetery in Manchester, a group of local people could be persuaded to keep the graves tidy.  I'm sure the council wouldn't mind.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 October 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
So the vicar reckons that responsibility lies with the Council  :o  :-X
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 October 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
So the vicar reckons that responsibility lies with the Council
  Perhaps he meant the church council  ::)  I can't see why any local town council would have responsibility for a church graveyard.