Author Topic: Frodsham/Cheshire Burials  (Read 1222 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frodsham/Cheshire Burials
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 October 20 17:24 BST (UK) »
No disputing it's a large graveyard!

oogle.co.uk/maps/place/St+Laurence+Church/@53.2906185,-2.7200201,173m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487ae376bf2e44b3:0xdd8a624cd4694b67!8m2!3d53.2904149!4d-2.7196741

Sorry I don't know how to minimise the link  :o
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 October 20 17:33 BST (UK) »
To shrink, go to the bottom of the page, and under Your Tools, there is a ShrinkLink to click on

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 October 20 17:35 BST (UK) »
No disputing it's a large graveyard!

;D ;D ;D

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 October 20 17:37 BST (UK) »
BUT, not sure how to link the two together.  Do I highlight and copy the long link - or what?  Easy, peasy instructions pretty please  :-[
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 October 20 22:25 BST (UK) »
Yes I think just copy and paste, but you'll have to put a letter g on the front of the word "google" which is missing from the long link.

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 October 20 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

To the best of my knowledge, there is no detailed and available plan of St Laurence's Churchyard. As a local with a lot of ancestors buried there, I am in there quite often and it is not the easiest of places to locate a grave but it is possible with only a bit of effort.

In short, it is split into 'NG' and 'OG' for 'New' and 'Old'. So, OGA means 'Old Section A', and NG means 'New Section'. The Old run A-F. There is only one NG section.
The first set of numbers means the row and the second set mean the place within that row.
So, OGA/5/6 means Section A of the Old part of the Churchyard, Row 5 and grave number 6.
You can see from the attached illustration of Section A that the rows run from East to West and the graves run South to North.
If you are after details on a lot of graves, you can buy the CD of the Graveyard Survey from 1982 from the Cheshire Family History Society. This is an impressive piece of work and far exceeded my expectations. If every churchyard was all well-recorded as St Laurence's has been I would be delighted. Add to that the fact that all the Parish Registers were fully transcribed and published a century ago (and are freely available at www.archive.org) and it is fair to say that researching St Laurence's is a doddle compared to almost anywhere else I know.

Meanwhile, on the condition of the churchyard itself. It varies throughout the year. I have spoken with Parishioners and one of the Church Wardens about this and apparently it is the Council's responsibility. I think this may be more common than many people realise. That said, I have seen it just after it has been mowed and it then looks very well-maintained. I suspect it it is the infrequency of that maintenance that makes it look overgrown at times.

Finally, if you have a couple of requests for graves at St Laurence's, post them on www.findagrave.com I can't promise to do them straight away but I will endeavour to do them in due course. I will also add the relevant extract from the Graveyard Survey from 1982 so you will know exactly what the inscriptions are.

Regards

Simon
(1) Janions of Cheshire, Lancashire, Hawaii, Vancouver and Seattle.
(2) Gregorys of Tarporley, Cheshire.
(3) Pughs of 'The New Pale' near Frodsham and Delamere in Cheshire.
(4) Nevills of Llanelly, Llangennech and Felinfoel.
(5) Yaldens of Ovington/Lovington in Hampshire.