Author Topic: Nicholas Ellis (Ellys or other corruptions)  (Read 321 times)

Offline rhgarmstrong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nicholas Ellis (Ellys or other corruptions)
« on: Sunday 04 October 20 11:44 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate some help from others cleverer than me!!

I have got stuck on my Family Tree as I am unable to discover the parents and thus ancestors of a Nicholas Ellis who was born in Whitechapel, London in July 1578. He was married to a Margaret Plested. They had a son John born in 1609 also in Whitechapel, London. John was married to a Sybill Craddock on 25th January 1632.

I have looked at many other Trees proporting to be the same Nicholas Ellis but I dont believe the links hold up.

There is one potential Tree which I can't verify which leeds to the Warren Family, but I can't prove when the surname changed to Ellis

It would be fantastic if anyone out there could unravel the mystery

Offline thearobin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas Ellis (Ellys or other corruptions)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 October 20 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Nicholas Ellis and Margaret Plested married at Westminster: St Margaret on 10 Jan 1602.

The Nicholas Ellis who was born in 1578 was baptised 25th July 1578 at Saint Mary Matfelon, Stepney, Middlesex (Whitechapel - about 4-ish miles away from Saint Mary Matfelon).

If this is the correct son John then he was baptised at St Mary Matfelon on 2 Jul 1609 but there was also an original John baptised to a Nicholas Ellis on 16 Aug 1601 too.  A daughter to Nicholas - Elizabeth was baptised at the same church 4 Sep 1608 and a son Abraham in 8 Feb 1606. 

John Ellis married Sybil Craddock 25 Jan 1632 at London Saint Botolph's Aldgate, Middlesex

and that's all I've been able to find on Nicholas and John, sorry! 

You might have more luck searching the siblings of Nicholas Ellis - for example, a Thomas Ellis was baptised 2 Aug 1575 at St Mary Matfelon, father's name "Ellis" (no other detail given), a Lucretia baptised same place and same father's name 28 May 1588, Hester in 1582, Elizabeth in 1582, Sara in 1588, Emmerie in 1587 might all provide more clues if you don't already have them..   
Coughlin, Laffy, Marsh, Higgins, Lavin

Offline rhgarmstrong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 08:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you theopink
The sibling root could well be the way to go

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 09:53 BST (UK) »
The Nicholas Ellis who was born in 1578 was baptised 25th July 1578 at Saint Mary Matfelon, Stepney, Middlesex (Whitechapel - about 4-ish miles away from Saint Mary Matfelon).

Just to clarify, St Mary Matfelon is an earlier name for St Mary Whitechapel - they're the same place, not different parishes 4 miles apart. In 1578 the ancient parish of Stepney extended much further west, up to the City boundary, and the area known as Whitechapel was part of it.

Offline rhgarmstrong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 09:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bookbox
That is brilliant new info for me.
But the hunt for Nicholas Ellis's ancestors continues

Offline thearobin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 18:00 BST (UK) »

Just to clarify, St Mary Matfelon is an earlier name for St Mary Whitechapel - they're the same place, not different parishes 4 miles apart. In 1578 the ancient parish of Stepney extended much further west, up to the City boundary, and the area known as Whitechapel was part of it.

Interesting! thanks for the correction
Coughlin, Laffy, Marsh, Higgins, Lavin