Author Topic: Rootschat's 'Stay Safe' board is mimicking social media  (Read 1612 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Rootschat's 'Stay Safe' board is mimicking social media
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 October 20 20:45 BST (UK) »
I would be gutted to see it go, I contribute mainly to the diary threads and have found them to be a massive support in these times.

I can't actually see any suggestion in the original post that it should go.  Jill was simply giving her view on some of the comments made in various postings. But if the Board did go there's no reason at all why the Diary threads couldn't continue on the ToT Board  :)

No suggestion at all that it should go - just that wishing people dead is a bit too much even for me. I'm all for discussion and dissension, and especially a bit of good natured banter but would never wish an illness, let alone death, on anyone whether I liked them or not.

As I said, I'm not perfect in this regard, Mike, but those comments you refer to are hardly in the same league. You have a particularly sharp way of replying - especially to me and my views -  but I respect your right to do so as I hope you respect mine.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 October 20 20:54 BST (UK) »
Best advice I was given was 'Hate the sin, love (agape in Ancient Greek) the sinner.

Michael.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 October 20 20:59 BST (UK) »
Some people prefer to have Mrs. Grundy setting the tone of discourse and some do not.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 October 20 21:16 BST (UK) »
I think this board has served a very useful purpose since its inception. Many people have been - & continue to be - anxious, confused, isolated, lonely, and have found a lot of support & reassurance from other Rootschatters. It's also a good way for us all to let off steam & have a good old rant. (Not me of course, I never rant ::) :P ;D )

There has been the odd comment made in bad taste but given the stress we are all under, I think the general tone is quite upbeat & positive.

I like reading the diary entries from Roobarb, Caw1 & others, & Viktoria always offers a very balanced view, with humour  :)  & hearing about the IOM makes me long to be there with all my family - very envious of KGarrad!  ;D Strangely when I was a child, apparently I always said I wanted to live on the IOM, I'd obviously heard of it somehow. Now I know why!  ;D

Pat

King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 October 20 21:38 BST (UK) »
I would like to add I have enjoyed the stay safe board, been uplifting  at times when we need uplifting  in various ways, the humour from Viktoria and others often make me laugh out loud, my husband sometimes asks me what I am laughing at.
I don't have a huge impute but dodge in and out to read what others have been up to and add it bit from time to time, I am amazed at how much gets done during a day by other Rootschatters, plus those making masks and things for charity, I like most I am sure have enjoy the banta
I don't think the safe board will come to an end, it will be called something else

Long may it reign

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 October 20 23:51 BST (UK) »
I agree with all the positive posts on this topic....
 it’s easy to read the topic title and if it doesn’t appeal then don’t read it!
The diary has been a very important part of the day whether you’ve been busy or not...
If you’re feeling a bit down then it’s uplifting to read others posts.... Viktoria’s always bring a smile at the very least to my face ....
It is a record about the lives of people from every walk of life, a variety of countries and an important social record of probably the most extraordinary year that any of us have ever had in our life times....
Personally I think the title of this particular topic is misguided...
RC is not only for enquiring minds about research and family history but much more than that...
Real bonds of friendship are formed here and many people would be poorer for not being able to have the support from others in times of dispair,upset, loneliness etc....
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 October 20 09:32 BST (UK) »
"Real bonds of friendship are formed here "

Caroline
You are exactly right with this comment, none of us have met, well that is an assumption really but we feel like friends and can say what we want without over stepping the mark as it were, the humour sometimes is very uplifting and hearing what  others put up with, having NN neighbours next door and different opinions on how it  all should be treated, plus other problems,  I have noisy ones but hibernate  around this time of the year, thank God,  but this topic has uplifted us all
I think the different comments to this board, happiness, sympathy and the like might be a lot to do with our generation, not complaining about the youngsters but in most cases they have had easier lives, thank goodness they do
I went "down south" earlier came and came very close to meeting up with one Rootschatter which would have been fantastic but when being amongst relatives it wasn't easy to get away on my own
Long may this board keep going even if renamed

Take care everyone

Louisa Maud

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 October 20 11:58 BST (UK) »
We are all entitled to our opinions on any subject but on occasion it can get heated and out of hand. That is where the moderators can step in and close a topic down .... it's their job.

Wouldn't it be a dreadful world if we all had the same opinion on everything - the word clones springs to mind.

There has been a lot of support and advice given on the Stay Safe Threads over the last 6 months and I feel that it is necessary for that to continue. For many of you who live alone and don't have family nearby it has been a lifeline. By the way I too enjoy reading the Diaries every day and the humour that comes over. We are all coping as best we can with good days and bad days.

A number of years ago I helped a fellow Rootschatter with some research he was doing on WW1 Casualties in Scotland. He lives around 30 miles from me so we arranged to meet up with our spouses. The four of us have become firm friends and meet up when we can.

Take Care and Stay safe.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 October 20 12:53 BST (UK) »
I don’t  read everything on this forum but I agree with those who say it is a means of expressing thoughts and feelings at this time.
My husband and I ‘put the world to right’ at some point every day. We tell each other things which irritate/astonish/agree with from the latest news even though we both have the same views and have seen the same news reports!
For others, this forum is a way of doing that and, sometimes, seeing another viewpoint.
It can get heated. I hadn’t read the thread which is referred to but on reading now, I can only see one post which might fit the complaint and on reading it, it could be interpreted in two ways.
It is noticeable at times that our criticisms/bouquets reflect our personal experiences and reading these can be a good learning experience.
I love Rootschat but my interests are generally research.
I also though, enjoy reading the affirmations and about the friendships which have arisen as a result of this lovely site.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk