Author Topic: Joseph Adams Family Tree  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Adams Family Tree
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 October 20 03:22 BST (UK) »
B.James, just a note when you search on Scotlands People, the name is sometimes spelled ADAM without the S. It is best to use the “fuzzy” search option.

In the 1911 census the ADAMS family is in Shettleston: Robert age 30, Mary age 28, children: Joseph 7, James 4, John 2, Susan 1.
Joseph ADAMS senior age 72 is living in the next house.

This is the family in the Canadian census 1926 Battle River, Alberta  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP2Z-NRNY

More information for some of the children:
1. Joseph ADAMS born 1904 Coatbridge
2. James Lawson ADAMS born 11 June 1906 Coatbridge; died 10 Oct 1983 Mission, British Columbia. Married 1938 to Minnie E. JOHNSTON
3. John ADAMS born 19 Oct 1908 Coatbridge; died 6 May 1936 Mission, British Columbia.
4. Susan ADAMS birth registered 1911 in Pollokshields (called “Florence” in 1926 census?)
5. Jeannie Davidson ADAMS born 1916 Shettleston
6. Mary Lawson ADAMS born 1917 Shettleston
7. Robina “Ruby” ADAMS born 1920 Shettleston
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 October 20 07:40 BST (UK) »
I believe I have found Joseph Adams in the 1861 census.  He is with his parents and siblings in Holytown, Lanarkshire. 
Scotlands People Ref. 625/2 17/ 8
Head of house is John Adams age 41, wife Mary Jane Adams (43), Joseph (17), William (15), Ann (13), Mary (11) Robert 8.

Brother 1- William Adams married Janet Neilson in 1868 Old Monkland. 1881 census for them is attached. Note: they have a daughter also named “Robina”.

Brother 2 – Robert Adams married Margaret Draffen in 1879 Old Monkland. In the 1881 census Robert is also a coal miner; living Gartgill, Old Monkland.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline B.james

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 October 20 18:11 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thank you again. There's no doubt that would be my great great great grandfather, John Adams. Joseph's age has been questionably different on every document I've seen but that definitely has to be them.

I've seen a lot of documents mentioning Holytown but couldn't connect the pieces yet 😁

Offline B.james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 21:36 BST (UK) »
Is there any reference sites that are helpful for searching Irish records? I can't seem to find any record of my family pre scotland

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 22:28 BST (UK) »

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 00:27 BST (UK) »
If you can get John Adams death certificate from Scotland, it should give you his parents' names, which will be a good lead to look in Ireland.

Offline B.james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 October 20 16:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tips. I followed your advise and I believe I found great great great great grandpa and grandma John and Agnes but now my dates take me pre 1800. Aside from traveling across the world to explore documents in Ireland myself, are there are suggestions that could help me?

It would appear John was burried in Londonderry Ireland and the only thing I've come across is American Adams settlers from the early 1700s also originated from there but it feels like there's still a generational gap.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 October 20 20:28 BST (UK) »
You need to write down absolutely all the details you have, and post it on the forum.
You have not said what new information you now know.

I would start a new topic in the Ireland forum, and those who have experience with that country may be able help.

Offline B.james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 08 October 20 22:39 BST (UK) »
Ireland forum? I set this forum up under beginners and not sure what you mean.

I am pretty sure I located the correct John Adams of 1814 (not sure exact birthday). He was married to Mary Jane Stewart (born about 1809, died May 24, 1873) and he died Nov. 3, 1866 in Coatbridge.

On his death record (if I was looking at the right John) shows his parents as being John Adams and wife Agnes Sinclair. When  l followed Agnes through census and death records, I found John Adams of 1781 which would make sense as she was born 1793. He died May 14, 1870 in Desert, Count Londonderry. I can't find a marriage record of Adams/Sinclair so I haven't been able to confirm if these are all one in the same. Her death was recorded by someone on Ancestry as 1826 in lanarkshire. They may have been married in Ireland but I can't seem to navigate the Irish Genealogy link you sent me.