Author Topic: 'Meteor' - ship working out of South Wales  (Read 327 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
'Meteor' - ship working out of South Wales
« on: Sunday 04 October 20 22:00 BST (UK) »
A friend of mine has a pair of  lamps - port and starboard - which he bought from a chandler in Penarth, South Wales in the late 1990s.  He knows that the name of the boat or ship they came from was Meteor and he thinks it might have been a tug but isn't sure. He's assuming the vessel was working out of one of the south Wales ports such as Newport, Penarth, Cardiff or Barry. Has anyone got any bright ideas where he would be likely to find details of vessels sailing out of these ports?

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: 'Meteor' - ship working out of South Wales
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 18:20 BST (UK) »
You need to look in Lloyd's Register, say from 1985-1999, to see if you can find a vessel with the name METEOR. Thinking she was a Tug and assuming she working out of South Wales Ports may compromise your research. There may be more than one vessel with that name.
I don't know where you are located but here is a list of libraries where LR can be obtained. Not all will have copies for the years in question.
https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/archivesheet47
As far as I am aware no on line copies exist for the time scale. If you do find copies please let me know.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Meteor' - ship working out of South Wales
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 19:18 BST (UK) »
I vaguely remember a tug from Greenock named Meteor
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.