Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 4th October  (Read 559 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 4th October
« on: Sunday 04 October 20 23:35 BST (UK) »
 What a beautiful day today, no sign of the heavy rain of yesterday. Off out for my walk, it was so lovely out in the fresh air, just my usual areas but I was enjoying it so much I added on a meander around some of the walkways and came back a more circuitous route.

Photographed my tonal sketch and emailed it to my art teacher. Had some lunch and although the garden was very wet I thought I might be able to do a few things. Deadheaded the cosmos again, I'm not sure how much longer it will last. Managed to tidy some more plants, took a cutting from the new heuchera that was in the pack of 'autumn colour' plants, it's a slightly different colour to the ones I already had. Hope it germinates along with the other plant cuttings I've taken. The sun was really warm, don't know how much vitamin D it provides at this time of year but every little helps.

It started getting cloudy later so I came indoors, I needed to do things like emptying the dishwasher, had left it since this morning. Didn't know what to make for tea, decided to roast some cod with chopped tomatoes, peppers, sweetcorn and peas, also jacket potato. It was a bit bland, could have done with some tips from Caroline on herbs and spices! Had a large glass of Pinot Grigio, I didn't have any wine on Saturday so thought I'd have a large one today.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 4th October
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 October 20 00:24 BST (UK) »
I’m so pleased you had lovely weather.... ours was wet, grey, dull and miserable!
When I bake cod I spread whole grain mustard on the top it gives it a lovely peppery taste... in a roasting tin on top of pre cooked cubes of pots, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, capers toss all this in low cal spray then add dash of wine place cod on top....

As I said today was another soggy miserable day! As it was Sunday newspaper reading day.... I skimmed through the main paper ... too much of what they’re constantly blabbering on about and there’s only so much you can take...
Magazine had a couple of interesting articles in and I found a lovely 3 bed cottage near Cirencester.... no garage and semi detached.... looked very pretty... not that we’re thinking of moving though....OH probably would if I was keen too but I’m not at the moment...
Listened to Boris on Andrew Marrs programme... the latter could hardly get a word in edgeways!....
The crossword was medium to difficult this week too only managed about half so far... always get more going back later...
Looks like our library is going to be opening up which is great as I’ve a book from before lock down! It’s now a community run one... C.Council wanted local town council to pay £40,000 a year to keep it running.... they dug their heels in and CC capitulated said they’d carry on paying for it!
After lunch went to do some sewing as OH was watching the golf... Scottish Open.. weather looked beautiful up there...
Listened to gardeners question always learn something new ... don’t always remember though!
Reminded OH his driving license will need renewing as he’s 70 in a couple of weeks... he can do it all online... has me running up and downstairs for passport... Nat Ins no...stamp... wonder what his last servant died of! Bit drastic though having to cut up his existing license and post it to DVLA...
Got dinner started.. steak & kidney with mushroom and added little red wine to gravy and lots of herbs.. into the oven to slow cook the meat...
We had a game of scrabble... thought I was going to loose as was 60 points behind at one stage ... managed to claw my way back and we ended up a draw...
Cooked flakey pastry and greens and carrots.... along with nice glass of wine...
Watched some tv ...
Thought we might have heard from our daughter this W/e but guess they were busy... don’t like to intrude when they’ve had a busy week and want to spend time with the boys...
Will contact her on Tuesday as it’s her birthday...
That’s it for today.... hope the weather improves as I’ve Aton of washing to do and hate drying it inside...
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 October 20 01:50 BST (UK) »
I have just listened to the 1pm update of COVID-19 given by our Prime Minister. Once again we have stomped out COVID. We have had 1,499 cases in NZ. At the moment we have 40 active cases, 34 of those are import cases and have been stopped at the border. We have had 11 days of no Community transmission. On Wednesday at 11.59pm Auckland will move to level one. There is light at the end of the Tunnel, some tunnels, unfortunately, are longer than others. Our biggest problem here is complacency.
Once again Sunday ended up as a lovely spring day with high temperatures around the country.
My garden now needs watering. Spring is springing into life.
P has finished one lot of chemo. He is now being monitored to see what his levels end up at. Midweek he will have injections to boost his white cell production. So it is all wait and see but a bone marrow transplant is still on the cards.
Tuesday is the day of my operation. Have to be at the hospital by 7.15am. So no late night for me.
Glad to see Roobarb venturing out a bit further and enjoying her freedom. Caroline, are you going to become a Dame in your country's next honours list. Your efforts need recognising by more than those on this board.
Hoping you all have a fantastic Monday
Stay Strong Stay safe.
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 20 02:38 BST (UK) »
Carol - it’s interesting to hear how the Covid situation has been handled in NZ and I would think that you are in a more fortunate position than many others being such a great distance from most places. At least your PM has good sense and acted swiftly... long may it remain so..
I’m sure you’re all looking forward to spring and summer... 
I hope all goes well with your operation on Tuesday too...
Hope your son is responding to his treatment and the bone marrow transplant is able to go ahead for him... thoughts are with you..
I think there are far more deserving people than me for such an accolade..... I’m just one of many just in our area who have been doing this work.... it’s a pleasure to be doing it and it’s kept me busy and using the skill set I have... the 🌈 ones have been the most fun to do... the fabric was specially printed and donated by Chris Evans and his son Noah with a view to brightening up the hospitals... the former is a well known radio presenter here in U.K.

Good luck and stay safe and strong too.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 October 20 17:02 BST (UK) »
Caroline, thank you for the culinary tips, I knew I could rely on you! I did add just a little hot paprika but didn't want to overdo it with something as delicately flavoured as cod. Have never used capers, will have to give them a try. I thoroughly approve of the dash of wine!  :D Hope you've had some better weather today.

Carol, good news that the Covid rate is so low, very much hope it stays that way. Hope all goes well for your son and of course for your own operation. I seem to be a bit late in sending good wishes for you, I can never remember which way round the time difference is. Have just looked it up and I see you are twelve hours ahead of us so early hours of Tuesday morning there. Whenever you manage to look in again, I'm sending my best wishes.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 October 20 17:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the good wishes Roobarb. 5.05 am here. We put our clocks an hour forward on the last Sunday in October. So as your days draw in, our days get longer. They go back an hour in March.
Enjoy your evening. Just off to pack my bags for the hospital.
Stay Strong Stay safe.
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 October 20 18:16 BST (UK) »
Caroline, if I read you correctly you were saying about driving licence. My husbands due to renew but when we checked on the dvla site, it said licences were being extended due to coronavirus so we didn’t need to do anything. Have a look and see if that applies to your situation.
North East of England

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 00:12 BST (UK) »
Caroline, if I read you correctly you were saying about driving licence. My husbands due to renew but when we checked on the dvla site, it said licences were being extended due to coronavirus so we didn’t need to do anything. Have a look and see if that applies to your situation.

Oh is it.... he didn’t say anything and has filled in the form, cut up his license and posted it today.... he did take a photo copy of it first before cutting it up! I did say to him I thought they’d extended it... ah well he’ll soon find out....
Thanks for telling me.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 08:11 BST (UK) »
Carol - it’s interesting to hear how the Covid situation has been handled in NZ......
I hope all goes well with your operation on Tuesday too...
Hope your son is responding to his treatment and the bone marrow transplant is able to go ahead for him... thoughts are with you..

. the 🌈 ones have been the most fun to do... the fabric was specially printed and donated by Chris Evans and his son Noah with a view to brightening up the hospitals...

Good luck and stay safe and strong too.  Caroline

Definitely I agree that Caroline is a National Treasure, and deserves a DBE for all the work she has done. Thanks for letting us know about the origins of the special 🌈 rainbow fabric; facts which I had missed along the way.

Carol, hope all is well with you at the hospital and that P is responding to treatment.
Great news NZ is on top of the Covid situation..... how long before UK starts to emulate I wonder?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.