Author Topic: DIARY MONDAY 5TH  (Read 970 times)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DIARY MONDAY 5TH
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 October 20 13:05 BST (UK) »
LM, I think you've been taking a leaf out of my book in muddling up the dates!   :D  So easy to do these days.

I've never heard the rhyme but will try an make a point of cutting my toenails on Saturdays then maybe I'll have a holiday to look forward to sooner rather than later! (I don't cut my fingernails, I file them  :) )

You’re lucky to be able to do it, I have to pay for someone to come and do mine😪😢
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 October 20 13:11 BST (UK) »
I am lucky if I can reach my feet at times

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 00:04 BST (UK) »
Here's my diary entry for Monday 5th October:

Very dull this morning and when I looked outside it was wet although there wasn't any rain in the forecast. It seemed to be a fine drizzle and when it appeared to have stopped I went out. I'd had notification that two parcels would be delivered between 1 and 4pm. Wasn't quite dry out but just like a heavy mist. More fallen leaves in the woods every day. The wet stuff got a bit heavier then lighter, then heavier again, my jeans and shoes were getting wet. Was I bovvered? Naah! Enjoyed the walk despite the rain.

The half insoles I'd ordered last week arrived in the post in a very soggy envelope. (Poor postie must have been soaked) They're just the job for my new waterproof trainers, which were just a smidgeon too loose at the back. Could have done with them on today, will road test them tomorrow.

The rest of the day was wet, the Met Office had totally screwed up on this one, no rain forecast and when it was chucking it down the forecast still said sunny intervals. Must try harder.

Decided to do some art work, the teacher sets homework pieces, not obligatory and I've rarely done them in the past but thought I'd do this one. Didn't finish it, I wanted to take a step back from it, will do some more tomorrow.

Two parcels arrived during the afternoon, another item that I'd ordered at the same time was scheduled to arrive between 4 and 7pm, it was nearly at the end of that slot when it arrived. I can only assume that it was coming from a different warehouse. It's a hand blender!  Are you impressed Caroline?  ;) I'm thinking of having a go at making some soup. Saw a recipe that looked nice, roasted sweet potato and carrot soup. Only problem is that it includes crème fraiche and I'm not sure if I can tolerate that. I can't eat ordinary cream but I have read that crème fraiche is fermented and therefore lower in lactose.

Heated some roast chicken in gravy for tea, leftover roasties, veg and Yorkshires. Nice hot meal on what turned out to be a very wet day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 00:55 BST (UK) »
I was very confused this morning to read Monday 6th.... as that’s my daughters birthday and I know it’s a Tuesday! I have been known to get it wrong and phoned on the wrong day... not very impressive for a mother is it.... just have a mental block....
I’ve not heard that rhyme before either LM... like Roobarb I don’t cut fingernails. ...
I’m impressed Roobarb with your purchase... more cooking then.. I’ve got one of those stick blenders they’re great for soup... have to start making some soon, butternut squash, carrots and coriander is lovely... you could use fat free Greek yogurt to thicken instead of creme fraiche....

Another dull dreary day... I took a chance and put some washing in and was going to hang it out but in the end put it on big airing frame on the patio so if it rained I could put it in the conservatory... which eventually I had to do...
Rain and more rain!...
Did some paperwork ... redid all the flowers I’ve managed to keep since my birthday... good tip from Gardeners World.. put vinegar in the water stops stems going slimy... might kill them off too but gave it a go...
Daughter FaceTimed us, had busy w/e as I’d thought... boys enjoying school and so far no cases at the school and no children sent home...
Had quick chat about OH’s birthday... hoping they’re going to be able to come up and going to have a meal cooked for us all to have at home... couple in the village used to run local pub.. they’ve got catering business... eaten their meals before very good... I know I could cook it but be nice to have it all done and something special... just need to make our choices and on understanding if all things change then plan B... whatever that might be!
After lunch I spoke to SiL’s mother as daughter said she bit down at moment... lives on her own... looks after her 91 yr old dad with her sister ... can’t visit her other son & family in Switzerland or see our lot often as could be risk to her dad... her partner lives in Canada and has recently been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer so things not looking good... we had long chat tried to cheer her up but could hear she sounded bit tearful... what can you do I felt  helpless...
Chatted with OH for a while then did some sewing...
Cooked a gammon ham joint for dinner...
Friend phoned and more bad news... her daughter just had second miscarriage since lockdown... so sorry for them as she recently had 12 week scan... got little girl just started school and recently told her she was going to have a sibling... we chatted for a while... by the time I came off the phone I was feeling quite depressed....
After dinner I made some chocolate soft centre biscuits for tomorrow coffee,.. recipe from my Good Food mag...
Watched sone tv and did some knitting....
Now it’s late again... was going to be early tonight as I read very late last night...
Oh well hope tomorrow’s a better day all round for everyone...

Good luck to Carol although now it’ll be too late...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 11:47 BST (UK) »
I've not been on Rootschat for a while but.....just wanted to say a quick "Thank You" to all who post on here. It's just nice to know that there are others doing exactly the same as my OH and me and having the same thoughts.

I read that someone thought their son or daughter would ring but didn't. My art interest has stalled - not picked up a pencil or brush since before March. Always enjoyed cooking but we are putting on weight even though we are attempting to walk more often. Knitting project still in wardrobe along with cross-stitch bought before lockdown.

I felt so positive this morning, after reading your interesting and amusing comments, that I decided to go to local M's supermarket (where an unfortunate lady had her car stolen last week). Some folk still not wearing masks though.

I hope to be back and sincere thanks again.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 15:57 BST (UK) »
Like others have said, I too woke to a wet day which was not forecast.   Had 1pm hair appointment and rain got heavier as I drove there.   Looked in boot for umbrella but it wasn't there.   Drat!  However, when I left hairdressers around 2pm the rain had stopped (only to return with a vengeance an hour or so later).  Had late lunch of sandwich and blueberry muffin.

Spent most of afternoon/evening knitting (apart from dozing for an hour late afternoon).   An odd half hour or so on PC now and then and some tv.   Thrilling stuff this!!!!

Wasn't really hungry so just had quiche with some coleslaw followed by tiramisu. 

That's it really - think I've coped pretty well through this pandemic but have reached the point where I just want to return to 'normal'.  Starting to get to me now.   Two weeks today should get my flu jab but understand umpteen surgeries/pharmacies are running out.  Fingers crossed!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 16:16 BST (UK) »
Caroline, thanks once more for culinary advice.  :)
Hadn't heard of putting vinegar iin the water with flowers but I have sometimes put a couple of drops of bleach in, it seems to do the same job. Didn't kill them off! Such a bad news day for you, hope today is better and your plans for OH's birthday work out.

Judy (ankerdine), I'm so pleased that our posts are helping you, hope we hear from you again soon and maybe that you've taken up your paint brushes again.  :)

Annette, I think you echo the thoughts of many of us in that we want to get back to normal. Most of us had thought that we'd be a lot further forward all these months later and currently we seem to be going backwards. We can only get out and do what we are able and hope for better news soon.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales