Author Topic: Martin Brothers of Radersburg, Broadwater, Montana  (Read 584 times)

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martin Brothers of Radersburg, Broadwater, Montana
« on: Monday 05 October 20 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters

Two of my grandfather's first cousins - brothers Michael and John Martin - emigrated from the little village of Doagh in County Monaghan, Ireland to the town of Radersburg, Montana in the early 1900s.

From my Ancestry research I see that Michael (a farmer/carpenter) died unmarried in 1908 aged 31 of peritonitis in St Peter's Hospital, Helena.  His brother John (documented as a 'merchant') applied for US citizenship in 1912, but I have no further records beyond this for him. 

I'm just guessing that John Martin probably stayed on in Radersburg until his own death, but I don't when that was ..... or if he ever married and had children and there might be descendants.

I live in England, so have zero knowledge of Montana, but I have learnt that Radersburg had a population of only about 60 people back then, and not many more today, so wondered if anyone might have any pictures, documents, newspaper articles, street directories or personal knowledge and stories of either of these Martin brothers, or can kindly point me in the right direction to find those things.

Thanking you in advance!
Runner55

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Brothers of Radersburg, Broadwater, Montana
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 October 20 12:49 BST (UK) »
I don't see him in any later census records in Montana, but you can check for yourself at www.familysearch.org.  Given his age, unless he joined the military, he should have completed a WWI draft registration card if he was alive in 1917/1918.  I didn't see one of those either, but they are at familysearch.org. 

I didn't see him in the Montana death index, which goes to 2018, so he probably died elsewhere.

There are some mentions in newspapers of John Martin of Radersburg visiting places, but earlier than 1912.  http://montananewspapers.org/lccn/sn86075288/1909-07-10/ed-1/seq-3/#date1=1873&city=&rows=20&words=John+Martin+Radersburg&searchType=basic&sequence=0&index=0&date2=2018&proxtext=%22john+martin%22+radersburg&page=1

http://montananewspapers.org/lccn/sn85053286/1910-12-29/ed-1/seq-3/#date1=1873&city=&rows=20&words=John+Martin+Radersburg&searchType=basic&sequence=0&index=1&date2=2018&proxtext=%22john+martin%22+radersburg&page=1

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 October 20 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Shellyesq

Thank you for your reply. 

That's really great information because I've learnt for the first time that there was a business under the name of Martin & Martin in Radersburg (the brothers John and Michael) which I'm presuming might be something to do with carpentry and now at least gives me something to follow up on with other local history sources.   Brilliant!

It makes me smile though to see the 'Local News' column in the old papers which reports what individuals were up to that week - who's visiting who, who's away on vacation, who's in hospital and why etc. 

Just like Facebook but without the selfies!

(Not sure if everyone would particularly have wanted their personal movements reported in such detail - and some of it seems a bit intrusive to our 21st century sensitivities - but that's just how it was back then!)

Thanks once again.
Runner55

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
Townsend Star
May 23, 1908
Page 4

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 October 20 15:38 BST (UK) »
Wow!  Thanks so much for that RJ137.  That's amazing to see that tribute to Michael Martin.

Wonderful to add to our family tree album.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 October 20 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters

From my Ancestry research I see that Michael (a farmer/carpenter) died unmarried in 1908 aged 31 of peritonitis in St Peter's Hospital, Helena. 

The image of the death record says his parents names were John Martin and Ann Crosby.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 October 20 16:12 BST (UK) »
I forgot this, a tree with more info on Hugh:
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LTK9-QCW

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 October 20 16:14 BST (UK) »