Author Topic: Martin Brothers of Radersburg, Broadwater, Montana  (Read 585 times)

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Brothers of Radersburg, Broadwater, Montana
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 October 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Oldohiohome

Thank you very much for your notes and those links.

Yes, John and Michael did indeed have a brother called Hugh Martin who settled in Iowa, and they all were from Doagh (also spelt Dooagh and Dooagha) in the parish of Magheracloone, Carrickmacross, County Monaghan  ......... where my family are still alive and thriving to this day!

Also, yes, the boys' parents were John Martin and Ann Crosby.

Hugh, Michael and John were part of a larger group of young male and female Martin cousins from Doagh (my paternal grandparents included) who all emigrated to the States in the late 1890s and early 1900s, the majority settling around New York City and New Jersey.

Some of the family stayed in the States, some returned home to Ireland - my paternal grandparents went home to Doagh after just a couple of years. 

Hugh, John and Michael Martin took very different paths to the rest of the clan by venturing out into Montana and Iowa.

I'm particularly keen to learn more about John and Michael's experiences in Radersburg, so thank you for this information and any more you may have!

Regards
Gabrielle (Runner55)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 October 20 17:29 BST (UK) »
John is just not showing up anywhere.  :(

While looking I found:
a reference to "The Club", Radersburg, Martin & Martin, proprietors

http://montananewspapers.org/lccn/sn85053284/1907-11-14/ed-1/seq-1.pdf

and their passenger manifest information. Here it is in case you don't have it:
SS Germanic, arrived NY 14 September 1900
Michael Martin, 24, laborer, from Carrickmacross, headed to his uncle Michael Crosby, 515 North Wyoming St, Butte City, Montana

-------
SS Baltic, arrived June 16, 1905
John Martin, 23, laborer, from Carrickmacross, headed to brother Michael Martin, East 3rd, Anaconda, Montana [Helena was scratched out but was in the column for general destination]

------
There are a lot of John Martins, but none with those parents' names. Parents' names often are on US records after about 1900 or so, which is why I posted them from the death record - to aid anyone else searching.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 October 20 19:00 BST (UK) »
There's a John Martin with the same parents born 17 Jan 1880 in Carrickmacross, County Monaghan, Ireland.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP8D-C85M

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGXJ-N9N

In the naturalization record, John in Montana gives his birthdate as 2 Jan. 1885.  I don't know if the first John died young and the name was reused or if John in Montana is confused about his date of birth or making himself younger.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 October 20 21:44 BST (UK) »
There's a John Martin with the same parents born 17 Jan 1880 in Carrickmacross, County Monaghan, Ireland.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP8D-C85M

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGXJ-N9N

In the naturalization record, John in Montana gives his birthdate as 2 Jan. 1885.  I don't know if the first John died young and the name was reused or if John in Montana is confused about his date of birth or making himself younger.

Deaths, Carrickmacross
20 March 1880 in Dooagha, John Martin, bachelor, age 9 weeks, child of farmer, cause unknown, informant: Ann -her mark- Martin, of Dooagha, present at death

edited to add:
and
Births, Carrickmacross
28 June 1881, in Dooagha, John Martin, son of John Martin, a farmer, and Ann Martin, formerly Crosby. informant: the father

still off by a few years, but close to the age at immigration. I didn't find any more deaths of John Martin, a child, 1881 to 1885 in Carrickmacross.

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Shellyesq and Oldohiohome

Hmmm, very interesting about the death record of the John Martin in 1880.

I have built a very extensive family tree around the Martins of Doagh on Ancestry and thought I'd exhausted all the records on irishgenealogy.ie. but I've just checked the death record out and realise that I've never come across that one before.

I do know that in Ireland back in those days, it was common to name a later child after an older sibling who'd died, so it wouldn't be unrealistic for that to have happened with 'Radersburg John'.

Equally, I also know from experience that dates of birth in these situations are very 'flexible' to say the least, certainly in my family from that era!

Incidentally, the other John Martin born in 1880 in Doagh was actually my Dad's father, who's mother was also called Ann (but married to my great grandad, Terence Martin). 

Looking around my family tree, there is yet another John Martin of Doagh with a mother called Anne who was married to Frank Martin, but their John was born in 1882.

So, thank you for that - a great find!  I'm now going to explore this because it looks like there is a gap amongst his siblings in 1885 for 'Radersburg John' to feasibly have been born then. 

Can I also say huge thanks to Oldohiohome for the cutting about "The Club" in Radersburg, owned by Martin & Martin.  That is not at all what I was expecting from the brothers - I thought they'd just be working on farms, but it does explain why John's occupation on his US naturalisation petition is given as a 'merchant' - a liquor merchant I guess ..... or maybe The Club was also a saloon of some sort.

This is pure gold in terms of my research because in a town of about 60 people, The Club must have been a prominent business and this may explain why, according to the earlier cutting you sent me,  Michael Martin's funeral in 1908 was allegedly the biggest ever seen round those parts!

Maybe it had something to do with the whiskey they sold that guaranteed "no headaches"!!!!

All I can say is, you've opened up some great research avenues for me that I never expected.

Massive thanks again.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 15:37 BST (UK) »

The Club was also a saloon of some sort.

It appears the Martin & Martin saloon burned down in 1910. From the article, Martin & Martin was both a saloon and a pool hall.

The Broadwater Opinion
December 22, 1910,
Page 4

RADERSBURG NUGGET

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi RJ137

That's absolutely fantastic.  Thank you so much for those cuttings.  This is a really fascinating avenue of research for me that I really never expected to be following.

I am now going to see what I can find out about the M&M Saloon and what happened after the fire.

Much appreciated!