Author Topic: The Winter Months can be the hardest  (Read 759 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The Winter Months can be the hardest
« on: Monday 05 October 20 15:52 BST (UK) »
Our Ancestors coped through many difficult times, famine, disease etc, it’s now our turn to face a difficult challenge and come out the other side

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com/2020/10/05/i-get-by-with-a-little-help-from-my-friends-selfisolation-part-3/
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

guest189040

Re: The Winter Months can be the hardest
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 October 20 16:03 BST (UK) »
Excellent.

Very well done.

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 October 20 16:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Biggles,

I have two elderly Aunts who live alone and 200 miles away, I try to phone them every other day, they see neighbours etc who help with shopping and things like that and have got them up to speed with technology so seeing a friendly face for people isolated is so important.

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks,

I have a circa 1840s Notice from a Notice Board for Cholera. Some of our families must have survived similar!

My late Grandparents and Great Aunt lived through the 1918 to 1920 Influenza outbreak and told me bits

Dad was told the following regarding 1918
Keep your distance from everyone
Wear a Face Covering
Wash Hands frequently, after handling anything from outside including the post, when returning home or when arriving elsewhere.

So 1918 to 1920 was similar (for my Grandparents and siblings) as we are being instructed to do now.

My Dad over 85 has been wearing a Surgical Mask on Public Transport long before they were mandatory.

He was a Korean Veteran and a mysterious outbreak occurred on his ship and the Captain and his Army Unit put the whole ship under similar Quarantine Rules, including flying the Yellow Q Flag.
 ----------
Some in 1918 - 1920 had a good proportionate immune response and got better, whilst in others it was like their body reacted out of proportion and the person became sicker with other ailments (complications).

They had huge warehouses with rows and rows of beds with canvas screens between (a primitive Nightingale) and it returned again in waves over about two years.

Mark

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 12:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mark for sharing, interesting to read that the instructions 100 years ago have barely changed for this current pandemic. Even to the extent of a primitive Nightingale arrangement, I wonder if this information was a blueprint for what we are seeing today?

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 14:09 BST (UK) »
My grandparents were both born in the 1880s.  My grandma had been a domestic servant to a council officer and my grandpa due to no work, had moved northward from Norfolk, where he was born, looking for seasonal work on the docks.   They married 1911 and had four children.

"Sing a Song Of Sixpence A Pocket Full of Rye, Four And Twenty Blackbirds Baked In A Pie":

They were so poor that my grandfather used to catch ordinary garden birds by snaring them in a loop of string and my grandmother would bake them in a pie.   I remember asking her if she removed the bones before she put them in the pie and learnt she just plucked the feathers off, cleaned the innards but didn't remove the bones because they were too small.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 14:56 BST (UK) »
What great accounts Rena & Chiddicks!

My word, hard times!

Some are using Food Banks and receiving Charitable Food Parcels in the County currently.

Mark

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 11:38 BST (UK) »
That does sound a pretty hard time Rena

My grandparents were both born in the 1880s.  My grandma had been a domestic servant to a council officer and my grandpa due to no work, had moved northward from Norfolk, where he was born, looking for seasonal work on the docks.   They married 1911 and had four children.

"Sing a Song Of Sixpence A Pocket Full of Rye, Four And Twenty Blackbirds Baked In A Pie":

They were so poor that my grandfather used to catch ordinary garden birds by snaring them in a loop of string and my grandmother would bake them in a pie.   I remember asking her if she removed the bones before she put them in the pie and learnt she just plucked the feathers off, cleaned the innards but didn't remove the bones because they were too small.