Author Topic: "Barchild" on baptism record - see image  (Read 815 times)

Offline SteveKNS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: "Barchild" on baptism record - see image
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 October 20 21:35 BST (UK) »
I checked for a dozen pages or so in both directions from Henry Powell's baptism record and the closest I can find to "Barchild" is "base child" - see image. It's in different handwriting, so not very helpful for comparison purposes, unfortunately.

I did find a few other illegitimate births but none were marked as such i.e. the only indicator was the absence of the father's name.
Rhodes, Laycock, Dennant, Maturin, Denson, Johnston

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 October 20 21:50 BST (UK) »
It must be a slightly blotched "base child" - there's nothing else that would make any sense there.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 October 20 22:20 BST (UK) »
I agree with Mike and others. It is base child.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 October 20 22:58 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering whether Barchild could have been the father's surname, the mother not knowing his given name (if perhaps she had been seduced by her employer). That surname is not unknown.
Alternatively could there be a connection with the heraldic bar sinister which I believe was the indication of illegitimacy.
It would be instructive to look elsewhere in the register to see how other illegitimate births are recorded. You don't usually have to look far to find one!
I once mentioned the ” bar sinister” denoting illegitimacy , in a reply to a post.
Someone with more knowledge than I,corrected me on that point .
Can’t find the posts now , but it seems I was mistaken.
Just a point, as I said I am not really informed enough but had gone on what used to be the accepted explanation.
Viktoria.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 October 20 23:08 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering whether Barchild could have been the father's surname, the mother not knowing his given name (if perhaps she had been seduced by her employer). That surname is not unknown.
Alternatively could there be a connection with the heraldic bar sinister which I believe was the indication of illegitimacy.
It would be instructive to look elsewhere in the register to see how other illegitimate births are recorded. You don't usually have to look far to find one!
I once mentioned the ” bar sinister” denoting illegitimacy , in a reply to a post.
Just a point, as I said I am not really informed enough but had gone on what used to be the accepted explanation.
Viktoria.
You weren't entirely mistaken, as you do see "bar sinister" used as a euphemism for illegitimacy, but it doesn't make any sense as a heraldic  term. A bar is a horizontal element, so can't be either sinister or dexter, unlike a "bend".

In this birth record, it would make no sense at all.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 October 20 23:11 BST (UK) »
I agree with Mike and others. It is base child.

Yes,  I agree.  And I recall that on Church of England  parish registers for baptisms that that particular column heading does not allow for details about the parents... Afterall, Parent/s details are for the column/s immediately to the right, so it is not a surname for baby's parent/s.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 08:20 BST (UK) »
Yes in that register there are a number of base born children with base being spelt in various ways including base, bas., bar.
Perhaps the main clue that ties in all these different abbreviations/spellings is there is no father's name given.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 10:18 BST (UK) »
Viktoria.
You weren't entirely mistaken, as you do see "bar sinister" used as a euphemism for illegitimacy, but it doesn't make any sense as a heraldic  term. A bar is a horizontal element, so can't be either sinister or dexter, unlike a "bend".

In this birth record, it would make no sense at all.
Thanks Mike.
Viktoria.