Author Topic: Looking for information on ??? Carter & Son William Carter  (Read 390 times)

Offline MazzyStar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for information on ??? Carter & Son William Carter
« on: Monday 05 October 20 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

looking for help on a ?? Carter I'm unsure of the DOB so I've guessed approx 1700- 1730 but could be even earlier than 1700!

Firstly: His son William was born 1749 and died 1814 age 65 in the district of St Alphege, Greenwich, Kent (London) (I can't find his actual Baptism index in records of that Parish in 1749- so was he born there?)
William married Amey Halfpenny/ Haffpenny in 1771, but I can't find any information on his father .

Secondly: This is where I get even more confused! Looking on ancestry and many peoples family trees, a lot of them have put down his father was called William Carter born between 1700-1710 in Ightham in sevenoaks.  However, I'm unsure this is the correct father. All of his children were born in areas in or surrounding Ightam, and even those born after William ? SO according, to people's ancestry trees they randomly moved to Greenwich to give birth then move back out to Ightham to have more children?  ??? I've found image sources on their ancestry trees stating both William's are buried in Ightam, but I've got the (correct) William's burial in 1814 Greenwich. So i think they've gotten confused themselves as it does not make any sense!

So i can't find where William was actually born and what his father was called!

Your help will be much appreciated as always!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on William Carter Snr & Jr.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 10:48 BST (UK) »
If you have not found William juniors baptism how do you know that his father was also called William.  The marriage indicates that he was 'resident' at St Alphage but that does not mean that he was born there.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MazzyStar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on William Carter Snr & Jr.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 14:02 BST (UK) »
Well, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure! I was only going off what the other had on Ancestry! I just didn't understand their timelines

I did find two William Carters born in 1749 local to Greenwich
1- 1749-1817 Born & Buried in St Giles Camden (Incorrect as my William was buried in St Alphege's)
2- 1749 Born St Sepluchre Newgate London - Father Thomas Carter  from here to Greenwich is not very far at all, couple of hours walk.

but God knows, he could have been born anywhere in the UK! I would of thought though, not many people would have emigrated so far across the country. And most would of moved only a few miles ?