Author Topic: SUSAN/SUSANNAH Roberts Buckeridge St. ST. GILES  (Read 228 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SUSAN/SUSANNAH Roberts Buckeridge St. ST. GILES
« on: Tuesday 06 October 20 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
    I'm not really expecting to find anything on my above convict ancestor BUT I thought I would try and find more on the area/place she was living when she was charged with Larceny in 1801, just to add a bit of interest to her story.

Susannah was tried for stealing from Mary HAMILTON 1801, 3rd of April who I believe she was boarding in her house!  at Buckeridge St.  St Giles.

Susannah was tried at the Old Bailey, she was an 18 year old born in we believe Mullingar Ireland, ROBERTS is her married name apparently and he was left behind. 
421. SUSAN ROBERTS was indicted for feloniously stealing, on the 3d of April , a deal box, value 2s. a silk handkerchief, value 3s. a muslin handkerchief, value 1s. a cap, value 1s. a child's hat, value 6d. a flannel petticoat, value 6d. an apron, value 6d. and a bed-gown, value 6d. the property of Mary Hamilton , widow .

MARY HAMILTON sworn. - I am a widow; I live in Buckeridge-street, St. Giles's : On the 3d of April I lost a deal box, containing the articles mentioned in the indictment; the prisoner lodged with me five weeks; on Good-Friday I got up at five o'clock in the morning, and found the door open, and the prisoner gone; the watchman stopped the prisoner with the box; I saw her and the box at the watch-house.

ARTHUR O'LEARY sworn. - I am a watchman: I stopped the prisoner with a box, about five minutes past three o'clock in the morning, in Church-street, St. Giles's, she was standing at a door; I asked her what she had got behind her; she said it was a box belonging to her brother; she told me she had brought it from Buckeridge-street, and she did not know rightly what house it was; I took her to the watch-house; she went very quietly to the watch-house, and carried the box upon her head; I have had the box ever since. (Produces the box, which was deposed to by the prosecutrix).

Prisoner's defence. She pawned my gown, and I afterwards saw it upon her daughter's back; and I afterwards called to see her, and she gave me the box.

GUILTY , aged 18.

Transported for seven years .

First Middlesex Jury, before Mr. Common Serjeant.

I have all of this which is great but very interested in finding out if there is anymore information out there!!  Did she marry to Mr. ROBERTS in England, could he have been a Soldier?? No mention of him at the trial though.  Anyway maps of the area in 1801 would be good to have I think, just to add some "Illustrations" to Susannahs story.  Thanks so much Kind regards Dianna

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SUSAN/SUSANNAH Roberts Buckeridge St. ST. GILES
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 05:59 BST (UK) »

According to this, “The ground covered by the Rookery was enclosed by Great Russell Street, Charlotte Street, Broad Street, and High Street, all within the parish of St. Giles-in-the-Fields. Within this space were George Street (once Dyott Street), Carrier Street, Maynard Street, and Church Street, which ran from north to south, and were intersected by Church Lane, Ivy Lane, Buckeridge Street, Bainbridge Street, and New Street. These, with an almost endless intricacy of courts and yards crossing each other, rendered the place like a rabbit-warren...Both sides of Buckeridge Street abounded in courts, particularly the north side, and these, with the connected backyards and low walls in the rear of the street, afforded an easy escape to any thief when pursued by officers of justice” (Henry Mayhew, London Labour and the London Poor, ed Robert Douglas-Fairhurst, 2010)

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bloomsbury-project/streets/bainbridge_street.htm

Bainbridge and Charlotte streets exist today

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16.458206522608922&lat=51.51884&lon=-0.13392&layers=1&right=BingHyb

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 07:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank you for that information and the map/s are great. Good to have a bit of a visual.  Shame there was a census back then. May have been interesting. Kind regards Dianna

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 08:37 BST (UK) »
Horwood’s Plan 1792-1799 shows lots of detail, and is fairly contemporary with Susannah’s conviction in 1801:

http://www.romanticlondon.org/horwoods-plan/#18/51.51634/-0.12888

I hope this link takes you to the right part of the map. The area is NE of Soho Square (which is fairly easy to locate), and just N of St Giles Church. Written on this map as Buckbridge Street.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you that's great I can see Church street as well where she was actually arrested at 3 in the morning.  So good to have this imagery. Don't know how long my Susannah was living there but so interesting to see where she was even for a short time.  Wonder did the Mrs Hamilton run a boarding house!  That may be worth looking into, could have advertised in the local paper.  Always fun finding these extra bit's and pieces.  Kind regards Dianna