Author Topic: searching for information on 5th great grandmother Martha smith  (Read 981 times)

Offline Kandi Burns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
searching for information on 5th great grandmother Martha smith
« on: Wednesday 07 October 20 06:16 BST (UK) »
Hello I am hoping if i could please get some assistance with some information on my 5th great grandmother all i know is that she was born in Pennsylvania united states in the circa 1765 and died in Ohio united states circa 1851. I know this is an old one but im hoping that their is someone out their that can help.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: searching for information on 5th great grandmother Martha smith
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 08:16 BST (UK) »
Do you know her husbands name and maybe we can find them 1850 census

ADDEd
Where in Ohio did she live?

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 17:23 BST (UK) »
Can you also please post everything you know about all her spouse and children? -  where and when they were born, married, and died. and to whom they were married.

This might help trace her backward. For example, if some of the children were born in PA and others in OH, then at least we would know when she left PA. Also some of the children's records might mention their specific place of birth. Even the grandchildren's records might have that information.

If she married in Ohio, where? Her parents would probably be in the area.

Offline Kandi Burns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 October 20 01:41 BST (UK) »
This is every inch of information that i know about my 5th great grandmother.
In 1789 when she was around the age of 24 she gave birth to a child on the 20th september 1789 in Kemback, fife, Scotland united states child was margaret barclay 1789-1878. Then when was around 29 had another child william barclay 1794-1855 in Pennsylvania. In 1799 at around the age of 34 had another child John Barclay 1799-1865 in Perry Pennsylvannia United States. In 1802 at the age of around 37 on July 8th 1802 had another child in Pennsylvannia had another child James A Barclay 1802-1864. At the age of around 40 in 1805 in Perry Pennsylvannia, PA, usa Martha Barclay was born 1805-1881 then at the age of around 41 had another child Andrew Barclay 1806-1872 In Perry, PA,usa. At the age of 64 in 1829 in April she lost her spouse William Barclay 1769-1829 at Saville, Perry PA, usa.
At the age of 86 in 1851 on the 9th of october in Tuscarawas, Warwick Township, Tuscarawas Ohio United States my 5th great grandmother passed away.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 October 20 07:32 BST (UK) »
William Barkley/Barclay wrote his will 7 February 1829 probated  6 April 1829 Perry County PA.
He was a Yeoman.
Paraphrased
To his wife Martha 2 cows 6 sheep plus 1/3 of the hay, an allowance for the rest of her life, household and kitchen utensils, and she can live in the Mansion House if she wishes.
Son John gets the house and most of the land and he must pay the bequests and allowance to his mother.
Son Andrew 50 acres in Liberty Valley next to John Black's heirs 1 bed and 4 sheep.
Daughter Margaret (intermarried?) with Jonathan English 50 acres, 1 bed, 1 cow? and 4 sheep. Son William 50 acres and one dollar.
Son James 50 acres and one dollar.
Daughter Nancy 1 bed 1 cow and 4 sheep.
Daughter Martha $50  to be paid out of his estate, 1 bed, 1 cow and 4 sheep.

Executors are his son John Barkley and his son in law Samuel English.
Witness' are William English and John Bard   

Son in law may mean the brother of his daughter Margaret's husband Jonathan English, and not as we use it today.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 October 20 10:00 BST (UK) »
Here is the christening of Margaret Barclay 20th September 1789, Kemback, Fife, Scotland

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYCT-429
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 October 20 17:02 BST (UK) »
This is every inch of information that i know about my 5th great grandmother.

Thank you very much, that should help. Do you know where William Barclay (1769- c April 6, 1829) was born? If in Pennsylvania, then I can't see them going back to Scotland for the birth of one child. See next post.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 October 20 17:04 BST (UK) »
Here is the christening of Margaret Barclay 20th September 1789, Kemback, Fife, Scotland

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYCT-429

That baptism was in Kemback, Fife, Scotland. Is it the same as this one? I don't know enough about the area to tell. If so, then it is not the daughter of Martha Smith and William Barclay.

baptized 20 Sep 1789, Cere Associate Congregation, Ceres, Fife, Scotland
Margaret Barclay, daughter of William and Ann (Pearson) Barclay
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY9G-4FD

and familysearch also has a baptism of Ann Barclay, daughter of William and Ann (Pearson) Barclay, same place, 17 April 1791.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY9G-Y38

-
Or were there enough Barclays in the area that it could be a coincidence, and are Fife and Ceres far enough apart to rule out them being the same child?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 October 20 17:21 BST (UK) »
The two places are close and could be two different records of the same event.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/FIF/Ceres

I was just wondering where the birth information came from as Kandi writes,
In 1789 when she was around the age of 24 she gave birth to a child on the 20th september 1789 in Kemback, fife, Scotland united states child was margaret barclay 1789-1878’
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk