Author Topic: James Blake SMITH & Rose Charlotte SMITH of Catford, London  (Read 215 times)

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Blake SMITH & Rose Charlotte SMITH of Catford, London
« on: Wednesday 07 October 20 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi!  I'm having a couple of problems trying to locate my relatives James Blake Smith (DOB abt 1871, Reigate) who was married (1893, Walworth) to Rose Charlotte Fisher (DOB abt 1871, Southwark).

James and Rose moved to 96 Barmeston Road, Catford, London between the 1901 census and the 1911 census.  James was a bricklayer/builder/labourer.

In the Electoral Registers, Rose is LAST listed at 96 Barmeston Road in 1930. 

In 1931 James is listed at 96 Barmeston Road without Rose but with daughters Rose Maud Smith (DOB 22 Oct 1894, Southwark), Lily Victoria Smith (DOB 12 Dec 1902, Lewisham) and Violet Edwards nee Smith (DOB 08 Dec 1908, Lewisham) and husband William G Edwards. 

In the following years he is listed with just Rose Maud and Lily Victoria until 1937 where they appear to have left 96 Barmeston Road. 

I have found Lily Victoria in the 1939 Register living with sister Violet Edwards nee Smith and husband William at 69 Bradgate Road, Catford.

I cannot find James Blake or Rose Maud anywhere in the 1939 Register.

I have found a possible death for a Rose C Smith Q3, 1937, 1d, 787 in the Borough of Lewisham, and a burial on Deceased Online for a Rose Charlotte Smith on 13 August 1937 in the Borough of Lewisham.

So where was Rose between 1931-1937?  Where was James in the 1939 Register?  Can anyone help?  We know James was alive in 1939 as he was visited by family members in the mid 1950s down in Croydon where he was living with his brother.

Many thanks, Nina

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Blake SMITH & Rose Charlotte SMITH of Catford, London
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin - thanks for that but I'm afraid that's not him! 

James had a son called William James who was born in 1893 - his first born.  In the 1939 Register William James Smith was living at 25 Engleheart Rd, Lewisham, with his wife Annie and 3 children.

Thanks anyway!  Nina