Author Topic: Frederick James BOND  (Read 1371 times)

Offline llamedoso

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick James BOND
« on: Wednesday 07 October 20 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hello, My great uncle Frederick James Bond was born in Chadlington in Oxfordshire England on 12th February 1908.
He emigrated to Australia in 1925. He left on the ship Hobsons Bay. This departed on 21st March 1925
he was heading for Brisbane and his occupation was a Carter. He is down on the passenger list as Fred.J.Bond he was 16 years old. He sent a postcard home with a photo on his 21st birthday in 1929 and he was living in Cairns NSW.
After this we have no track of him. We can not find any information on him. Can anyone please help?
his parents were Joseph Bond and Polly Bond nee Ward. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick James BOND
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hello, My great uncle Frederick James Bond was born in Chadlington in Oxfordshire England on 12th February 1908.
He emigrated to Australia in 1925. He left on the ship Hobsons Bay. This departed on 21st March 1925
he was heading for Brisbane and his occupation was a Carter. He is down on the passenger list as Fred.J.Bond he was 16 years old. He sent a postcard home with a photo on his 21st birthday in 1929 and he was living in Cairns NSW.
After this we have no track of him. We can not find any information on him. Can anyone please help?
his parents were Joseph Bond and Polly Bond nee Ward.

Hi,

Do you have a scan of that postcard? If so perhaps you could share a snip of the sentence mentioning Cairns NSW.  Does it have a street address?  Cairns would usually refer to Cairns in Far North Queensland.  There is a town in regional NSW ... Culcairn. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline llamedoso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Majm,

Thank you for the reply. I can not scan in the original tonight. I have in my notes: Charles Street,  Cairns, N Queensland.

You were right it is Queensland and not NSW. I was going by memory.

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 October 20 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there is a Frederick James BOND who died in Tighes Hill NSW  1985 aged 77 yrs

Details from NSW BDM  BOND  FREDERICK JAMES 109893/1985 DIED NEWCASTLE  077
there are no parents recorded on NSW Death Index so I dont know if it is your fellow

find a grave has a

Frederick Bond    BIRTH   1908   DEATH   4 Dec 1985 (aged 76–77)
Newcastle Memorial Park   Beresfield, Newcastle City, New South Wales, Australia

from Ancestry Elect Rolls looks like this chap was a minister of religion and had a wife Isobel Deborah,  there is a marriage NSW BDM index in 1962

13412/1962 BOND FREDERICK JAMES NIPPER ISOBEL DEBORAH  married at  HAMILTON a suburb of Newcastle

I have no idea if it your fellow, good luck with the search

Cass
added looks like Isobel is buried with first husband George Nipper in the Sandgate Cemetery
http://sandgate.northerncemeteries.com.au/index.php/search-our-virtual-records/conduct-a-search
Isabel Deborah Bond buried 15.9.1978

Offline llamedoso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 October 20 09:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you. This is a lot to look into. How can I find out if and how many Frederick James Bond were born in Australia in 1908? I am wondering if I can track them then I can eliminate them from my search?

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 October 20 11:32 BST (UK) »

"Re: Frederick James BOND
Frederick Bond    BIRTH   1908   DEATH   4 Dec 1985 (aged 76–77)
Newcastle Memorial Park   Beresfield, Newcastle City, New South Wales, Australia
from Ancestry Elect Rolls looks like this chap was a minister of religion and had a wife Isobel Deborah,  there is a marriage NSW BDM index in 1962"

I'm not sure that this man as quoted above is your Frederick James Bond. To be a minister of religion he would probably need a university degree in Theology which although possible doesn't really fit with a young lad who emigrates on his own. Also he marries at age 54.. not unheard of but less common.
Australian records are by state and not national ( as in UK) so it takes a lot more searching to trace a person who could have moved to any state other than Queensland. And privacy laws mean that there are restrictions on the records available.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline llamedoso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 October 20 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information. So as he could have literally moved anywhere for work it could be impossible to track him. I know he was headed for Brisbane when he travelled to Australia and then made his way to queensland. But who knows if he stayed there? He came from a farming background so probably just went where there was work.
My mum is 85 and she has always wondered what happened to her uncle. I fear I may never find out.

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 October 20 12:07 BST (UK) »
He could have moved to any state for work which makes the task harder but not impossible.
I have checked the newspapers available on www.trove.nl.gov.au which is a free resource but his name doesn't appear even as Frederick Bond. I also thought he may have enlisted in WW2 but nothing there in the Archives.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 October 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The information on a NSW Marriage certificate (or on the less expensive official transcription) includes information provided by the bride and groom about themselves and about their parents.

So for around $Au20 you could learn what info a minister of religion provided about himself and his parentage when marrying in 1962.  Cass has kindly provided the reference details for that marriage.    It would be a way of learning if that chap was your elusive chap.  The questions include the name including maiden surname of the groom's mum,  his own place of birth,  age, occupation, usual address, and are of course given by him, first hand.   The info on an official transcription is same as on an official certificate.

There are eight jurisdictions that are the federation of Australia.  Each has their own bdm system, just like the United Kingdom where for example Scotland has its own bdm separate from the England and Wales GRO.

JM

"Re: Frederick James BOND
Frederick Bond    BIRTH   1908   DEATH   4 Dec 1985 (aged 76–77)
from Ancestry Elect Rolls looks like this chap was a minister of religion and had a wife Isobel Deborah,  there is a marriage NSW BDM index in 1962"

I'm not sure that this man as quoted above is your Frederick James Bond. To be a minister of religion he would probably need a university degree in Theology which although possible doesn't really fit with a young lad who emigrates on his own. Also he marries at age 54.. not unheard of but less common.
Australian records are by state and not national ( as in UK) so it takes a lot more searching to trace a person who could have moved to any state other than Queensland. And privacy laws mean that there are restrictions on the records available.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.