Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 7th October  (Read 548 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 7th October
« on: Thursday 08 October 20 00:21 BST (UK) »
Had been thinking of going for a walk on the beach today, when I looked at the weather forecast yesterday it had big fat suns on it. It did start off sunny but there was more cloud later and it was quite windy, likely to be more so on the beach. It knocks the stuffing out of me sometimes when it's like that and as I wasn't feeling energetic enough for a longer walk I decided to stick to my usual walk after lunch.

Found a big enough hook to fasten the washing line to, screwed it into the fence but the wood isn't very strong so moved it to the only post I can get to. It's in a place where NN could potentially unhook the washing line from it, hope she wouldn't stoop that low. Hung some towels out, a good drying day anyway.
Put a couple of chicken breasts in the slow cooker with chopped tomatoes, onion, peppers, chickpeas and hot paprika, enough for tonight and one to freeze.

Tried out the new shoes again when I went out, they're a bit stiff around the ankles but I'm sure they'll soften up. Usual walk, much cooler than yesterday but pleasant.

Started second painting when I got home, still not as planned, think I'm getting out of practice. Some Rootschat, some ironing then it had got round to time to eat the chicken dish. Did some potatoes with it. And that was all the excitement for today!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 7th October
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 October 20 01:20 BST (UK) »
It’s a pity your weather wasn’t better for a walk on the beach....
I can’t believe your NN would unscrew your washing line that would just be the limit....
Exciting days ahead for us all I think not knowing what’s going to happen next...

Today was pleasantly sunny so having set the washing machine last night it was all ready to hang out first thing..
After breakfast I went out to the greengrocers and then to the library to return the book that should have gone back in March! My little local one isn’t open yet so took it to another one... didn’t have to go in there was a box outside to drop it in... don’t quite know how they’re going to work out who borrowed it as didn’t have to leave any info!
Had a conversation  about meal for OH’s birthday and all organised... cut off date Thursday next week so hope Boris doesn’t scupper our plans for daughter and family coming up next Saturday.. be lovely to have a nice meal at home that I’ve not had to cook... I know the food will be good as they cooked our meal for WI do...handy they live in the village too..
OH baking bread when I got home ....
Decided to cut the next lot of 🌈 tops and managed to get 11 out of 12 metres with spare for face coverings... used the V shaped bits from front panels and facings to make more bunting and thought I’d use the scraps along with some plane fabric for some stuffed elephants I’ve got pattern for to go to the refuge or children’s wards...
Lunch was late...
zoom book club meeting ... nice to see others even remotely! One girl lives in France now so interesting to hear how things are there... she’s got a gite and has been busy all summer with French guests leaving 2-3 days between to give good clean. she’s quiet now with just one or two bookings until New Year... things more relaxed there can have more people meeting but have to wear face coverings everywhere and local town has gendarmes patrolling streets to enforce!
Had a good meeting, nice chat and next month my turn to choose a book...
Did some sewing for a while then cooked dinner had cod baked in the oven over vegs and coated in whole grain mustard..
Watched some tv...
Started to rain as we were going to bed.... not sure what tomorrow holds....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 October 20 01:38 BST (UK) »

Tried out the new shoes again when I went out, they're a bit stiff around the ankles but I'm sure they'll soften up. Usual walk, much cooler than yesterday but pleasant.

At the end of WWII my mother joined the local fire brigade and I used to watch her soften the unyielding new black leather shoes every night with some polish rubbed into the leather with the bone handle of a knife.

In later years when I married a forces man, there he was doing the same thing, using the handle of an ordinary kitchen knife
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 October 20 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hope you are doing well

In August 2020 I had an insect bite whilst in the Garden which caused swelling and Redness travelling in 3 limbs after 48 hrs and was prescribed penicillin to use as a last resort and only the penicillin stopped cleared up the redness and infection.

But the August bite triggered my earlier 2020 severe itching again (which began January during my non-stop severe dry cough etc) and today wanting to scratch the skin off my wrist and other very tiny spots on my chest and upper back.

The NHS Doctor prescribed 2 tubes of Steroid Cream. I also have Epaderm made by Mölnlycke Sweden  :)

I was up and about Sunday, then mid morning I couldn't stay awake, thirst, headache, high blood pressure, so had 3 mugs of water and went and lay down until it lowered.

Oh there is some strange stuff going about and if I want a Blood Test to check to see if I have Covid antibodies, I've got to find a private Tester, I'd rather pay the NHS if I have to.

Take care, Mark

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 October 20 20:50 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I really hope your plans for OH's birthday can go ahead without any problems, it sounds lovely. What a good idea to use the scraps for toys, you're so clever. Interesting to hear what's happening in France.

Rena, I don't think I'd better put any polish on my shoes, they're made of that synthetic material that looks a bit like suede! And 'breathable mesh', I can hear it inhaling from here.  ;D
Your reference to a bone handled knife made me think of my mother, she had some of those, I think they'd probably belonged originally to my grandmother. My mother used to tell us not to leave them in the bottom of the washing up bowl or the handles would come off. A couple of them were passed on to me, I've not only forgotten about not leaving them in the washing up water, I even mistakenly put one in the dishwasher once. The handle didn't move any inch. I can hear her telling me off from here!

Mark, that all sounds dreadful, I sincerely hope you're feeling better now. I've found steroid cream very useful for mozzie bites when I've been abroad, hope it's done the trick.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 October 20 21:57 BST (UK) »
Rena I found the boot / shoe polishing and other posts interesting  :)  ;D

Thanks Roobarb glad you got a walk, it is so important to keep the usual functions going like a walk and a good meal, especially some exercise  :)  :)

We'll have to keep a bit of the old British determination going, putting one foot forward (in safety mode of course) and saying ... this is not beating us without a fight!  :)  :)  :)

If we get short, Louisa's got that £10 note, although I presume she'll either have an iron grip on it (like my elderly Mum)  ;D  ;D or spent it already  :o probably on Dark Chocolate (good for her circulation apparently), we know ... any old excuse for a square of chocolate :D

Caroline I can smell the freshly baked bread  :P , well imagine the bread smell at least.

Viktoria, I hope something moves the neighbour to be more polite and sociable  :)

You all take care and anyone else contributing and reading these Diaries.

All the best Mark

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 October 20 21:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mark, you too. It's good to have you joining in.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 October 20 23:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear you’re under the weather Bushinn ... doesn’t sound particularly pleasant...hope you’re feeling better soon..

I still use those old bone handled knives... butter knives... buy them at antiques fairs... OH keeps putting then in the dishwasher I keep taking them out ...😤😤
I have different knives for different uses and he’s always using the wrong ones... used to drive me up the wall.. bit of OCD I think on my part... sure he did it sometimes to wind me up... now I just ignore him. 😂😂

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK