Author Topic: Thomasina Edmond Kilmaronock  (Read 2022 times)

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
Thomasina Edmond Kilmaronock
« on: Thursday 08 October 20 05:05 BST (UK) »
My brother was recently buried in the 'family plot' in Kilmaronock churchyard. After the funeral the family discovered that the plot was full while all the time we thought there should be one space remaining. There are two graves 81 and 82 and five burials. Unbeknown to all of us there was a sixth according to the Dunbarton 'graves department' - one Thomasina Edmond who died in 1918. Of the 38 Thomasinas who died in Scotland in 1918 none of them was an Edmond or died in Kilmaronock.
What am I missing and where should I go next?
All help greatly appreciated.
Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Thomasina Edmond Kilmaronock
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 October 20 09:49 BST (UK) »
There is a death for a Jeanie Muirhead(age 71) , 1918 , Kilmaronock Dunbarton , who was married to a Thomas Edmond.
Can't so far see anything to indicate that Jeanie was ever known as Thomasina  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 October 20 12:44 BST (UK) »
She may have been buried with her maiden name which was traditional then.
Have you looked for a marriage of a Thomasina to see if it links with someone in your tree ?

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 October 20 17:15 BST (UK) »
Jeanie is one of mine her husband Thomas was a son of James/Janet Paterson and they were at Balfron.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 October 20 00:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Don and ev,
Jeanie is also in my mix, her father William Muirhead is my 2g grandfather and grandfather of the Williamina in the grave! Thomas was a different Edmond although well known to my forebears.

Thankyou Oldfashioned girl, I will try the wedding search although as the burial was 1918 I would be surprised if the tradition of using a maiden name was still prevalent.
Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 October 20 05:30 BST (UK) »

Which of the people named is buried in plot 81?

Which of the people named is buried in plot 82?

When was the headstone put in place?.

".. Dunbarton 'graves department' - one Thomasina Edmond who died in 1918."

Can you please give the exact record entry relating to Thomasina.
Have you sighted this graves department record?
Does it give no clue to the month or day?.

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 October 20 06:38 BST (UK) »
Good questions wivenhoe.
According to my local source who was also the person that spoke to the Dunbarton 'graves department' Thomasina, Norman and Helen are buried in 81 and George, Wilhelmina and NG Buchanan are in 82.
You will gather from that I never spoke to the department and all my local source could glean was the above.
Maybe I should attempt to find out where the graves department is and email them a request.
Thank you for your help.

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 October 20 06:42 BST (UK) »
I can't be sure when the headstone was put in place but I would guess sometime between 1955 and 1970. That is after Wilhelmina and before Norman, but I am guessing!

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 October 20 06:51 BST (UK) »
Following oldfashionedgirl's recommendation I checked all births, marriages and deaths for a Thomasina with no success.