Author Topic: Lewis's Department Store, Argyle Street, Glasgow - info requested.  (Read 2764 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis's Department Store, Argyle Street, Glasgow - info requested.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 October 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking, please, for info and/or memories of Lewis's department store which was situated on Argyle Street in Glasgow ( not to be confused with John Lewis).
I'm writing a short article for my writing group on the store and any info would be very much appreciated. The article is unlikely to be published ( I'm a hobby writer)
My own memories include :
a basement record dept which I think had listening booths?
a wonderful Food Hall - remember buying broken biscuits and warm doughnuts.
creaky lifts.
an in-store hairdressers?
beautiful Christmas display windows.

Thanks for reading,

Looby  ;)

In addition to the Christmas windows the actual grotto where there were displays along the way as you queued, made it more magical. 

Was terrified of the lifts.  Loved the food hall.  When it was my Gran's birthday we used to get the train to Central, walk along to Lewis's get stuff for tea from the food hall as a treat then get the low level or bus to my Gran's.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 October 20 14:11 BST (UK) »
Lewis's did superb big Vienna rolls packed with assorted fillings!  ;D

Skoosh.

Sounds good, Skoosh. Could fair go one right now. The Foodhall was always popular.

Looby  :)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 October 20 14:16 BST (UK) »

Skoosh.

Sounds good, Skoosh. Could fair go one right now. The Foodhall was always popular.

Did they not do lovely iced buns too, or am I misremembering?
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 October 20 14:18 BST (UK) »

In addition to the Christmas windows the actual grotto where there were displays along the way as you queued, made it more magical. 

Thank you, pharmaT.
That memory supports one of my own - I can recall standing with my Gran in a queue for Santa looking at beautiful Chrissmassy scenes...snowmen, elves etc. I wondered if I'd imagined that  ;D!

The lifts were a bit dated.  And the foodhall was always busy - lots of lovely stuff.
Thanks again
Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 October 20 14:22 BST (UK) »

Skoosh.

Did they not do lovely iced buns too, or am I misremembering?

They probably did ! My clearest memory is of sugar doughnuts , still hot and in a brown paper bag. We used to buy them for the car journey home to Ayrshire. Simple pleasures.

Offline fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 October 20 17:42 BST (UK) »
I too remember Lewis's and being a country bumpkin it was a marvel.  There were escalators and Mum would have a firm grip of our hands.  The lifts were operated by an attendant.  Did he rhyme off what was on each floor?
The basement had a large food hall and the choice quite staggering to me.  A firm favourite was the ham on the bone cut to order and of course the biscuits. 
There was a bit which sold records and it had booths for listening to your chosen disc before buying. Bought my first LP, Tom Paxton's Ramblin Boy and still have it! Had others given as presents buy something special about buying with your own money.
If memory serves me I think you could buy everything you needed there.  Ah memories.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 October 20 21:54 BST (UK) »

Thank you, pharmaT.
That memory supports one of my own - I can recall standing with my Gran in a queue for Santa looking at beautiful Chrissmassy scenes...snowmen, elves etc. I wondered if I'd imagined that  ;D!

The lifts were a bit dated.  And the foodhall was always busy - lots of lovely stuff.
Thanks again

Definitely real and my Mum agrees, she said the grottos aren't as fun these days.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 October 20 09:32 BST (UK) »
The doughnuts, as I remember, were even bigger than Fanny Craddocks!  ;D

In one of the railway arches between Lewis's & St Enoch's Station was a wee pub called the Old Eagle Inn complete with a stuffed eagle!

Skoosh.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 October 20 09:52 BST (UK) »
I too remember Lewis's and being a country bumpkin it was a marvel.  There were escalators and Mum would have a firm grip of our hands.  The lifts were operated by an attendant.  Did he rhyme off what was on each floor?
The basement had a large food hall and the choice quite staggering to me.  A firm favourite was the ham on the bone cut to order and of course the biscuits. 
There was a bit which sold records and it had booths for listening to your chosen disc before buying. Bought my first LP, Tom Paxton's Ramblin Boy and still have it! Had others given as presents buy something special about buying with your own money.
If memory serves me I think you could buy everything you needed there.  Ah memories.

Thank you fraser1,
We travelled through from Ayrshire and I think we spent the entire day in Lewis's !
Oddly, I don't remember the escalator....maybe we always used the lift ( novelty factor).
Thanks for confirming listening booths in the record dept.
Great memories of great days !