Author Topic: Harriett THOMAS nee SALT completely vanished after 1901. Driving me crazy!!!  (Read 1516 times)

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harriett THOMAS nee SALT completely vanished after 1901. Driving me crazy!!!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 October 20 13:19 BST (UK) »
And yet...it seems to be her!

From British Newspapers:

OCTOGENARIAN'S DEATH. The death occurred on Tuesday last of Mrs. Harriet Currie. wife of Mr. J. W. Currie, Wardellle.(Westville) Abertysavrg. Mrs. Carrie was the oldest person is Abertyeswg, and she died on birthday ...” goes on to list mourners-RW,H and G THOMAS  Mrs.OSBORNE(daughter) and Mrs W.A. DAVIES (Abert*) grand daughter.

April 13, 1935 - Merthyr Express - Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan, Wales

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harriett THOMAS nee SALT completely vanished after 1901. Driving me crazy!!!
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 October 20 13:29 BST (UK) »
Well done!! Marvellous find. Still living in the same place as in 1911.

So she married someone whose surname was Currie, but he’s calling himself Bishop in 1911?

He appears to be in Rotherham in 1901 RG13/4395/185/15
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 October 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
Merthyr Express, 18th May 1935.

Abertysswg.  Mr J W Currie's death

The death occurred on Tuesday last of Mr J W Currie of Westville. Mr Currie who was 66 years of age had resided in Abertysswg for many years and his wife predeceased him five weeks ago. The funeral took place on Saturday at Rhymney cemetery the Rev M.F. Williams B.Sc. officiating. Among the mourners were Messrs H and G Thomas, Worcester (stepsons) Mrs G. Osborne, Mrs W.A. Davies (granddaughter)..............

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 October 20 13:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks,Jen. :)

I wonder why he was going by BISHOP? Oh well-at least they're found again.

Both buried in Rhymney Cemetery.

Maureen

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 October 20 14:20 BST (UK) »
Great detective work

Are the Bishop couple definitely the Currie s too the 17 year age gap seems to fit .

Glad Harriet was found Before you tore all your hair out .

Maureen
[/quote]
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 October 20 17:48 BST (UK) »
Crikey! I've been out this afternoon and come back to all these wonderful posts to read and digest! I've struggled with this one for ages and yet in the space of such a short time you've sorted it out for me! I can't thank you all enough! Marvellous! Brilliant work! Very very pleased!
I haven't studied it yet, or the implications, but it sounds like this chap might have been a  bit of a wrong 'un! Why all the deception? Its really odd!
That's me sorted this evening, looking at all this.
Fantastic work and thanks again!

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 October 20 18:23 BST (UK) »
 :) :)

It's a good thing you made mention of the Harriet BISHOP in Wales. I would never have looked there.

Maureen

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 October 20 18:46 BST (UK) »
And yet...it seems to be her!

From British Newspapers:

OCTOGENARIAN'S DEATH. The death occurred on Tuesday last of Mrs. Harriet Currie. wife of Mr. J. W. Currie, Wardellle.(Westville) Abertysavrg. Mrs. Carrie was the oldest person is Abertyeswg, and she died on birthday ...” goes on to list mourners-RW,H and G THOMAS  Mrs.OSBORNE(daughter) and Mrs W.A. DAVIES (Abert*) grand daughter.

April 13, 1935 - Merthyr Express - Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan, Wales
Does this mean she died on her own birthday? That's what it reads as, of course, but just thought I'd double check the details there.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 October 20 18:48 BST (UK) »
Yes, the article says '....she died on her 84th birthday.....'