Author Topic: My 3rd G Uncle on a UK Prison hulk ship  (Read 1428 times)

Offline tornado

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My 3rd G Uncle on a UK Prison hulk ship
« on: Friday 09 October 20 18:05 BST (UK) »
Looking for information about my 3rd G Uncle John Drinkwater born 1808 in Bowden Cheshire. Whilst browsing the Ancestry site i found a brief record of my ancestor . It seems he was a "naughty boy" and was a resident on a Prison hulk ship . I am not subscribed to Ancestry so cannot access this full record/  register and letter book. "Could some kind person share the information of this record with me?". John was in residence on the Fortitude ship 29th October in 1841 , in Chatham . I am curious to what his crime was?. Any information is appreciated and will help me to confirm this event . Thank you rootschatters.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: My 3rd G Uncle on a UK Prison hulk ship
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 October 20 18:13 BST (UK) »
He was aged 33 & convicted of larceny on 18.10.1841. Sentenced to 7yrs transportation
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline tornado

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 October 20 18:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks this is a good start. I may be able to track him down in Australia , who knows...

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 October 20 20:48 BST (UK) »
You say in Chatham.  Nearby Rochester has the most amazing and free museum (not sure if open during Covid19, need to check), which has an exhibit of a prison hulk ship with its prisoners, and similar exhibits.  It was very atmospheric and well done. 

I assume the same exhibits are still there.

The museum may have more information.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 October 20 00:16 BST (UK) »
He was sent to Van Diemen's Land on 9 Mar 1842 aboard the ship Surrey
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01pxk/
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 October 20 03:38 BST (UK) »

Stealing a duck property of Wm BOLTER of Cheshire, convicted Cheshire 18 Oct 1841.

(also shows several previous convictions for poaching and fighting.)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 October 20 05:22 BST (UK) »
He died in Victoria

DRINKWATER  John   
Mother Ann 
Father William   
Born    CHES   
Aged 57   
year 1868 
Reg 1722

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 October 20 05:49 BST (UK) »
He was sent to Van Diemen's Land on 9 Mar 1842 aboard the ship Surrey
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01pxk/

Ticket of leave, 1846, 2nd column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66270519

1848, sentence ended, 1st column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article36255971

A man of that name - there was another there - left TAS 1846, 3rd column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8758303

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 October 20 06:49 BST (UK) »
The County Sessions at Nether Knutsford opened 18th October with upwards of 170 prisoners to be tried and the Chester Courant, 26 Oct 1841, published the "results ... up to 4 o' clock yesterday". John Drinkwater was not listed.
FindMyPast has court records where the Governor of Knutsford Jail is instructed 25 Oct 1841 to transfer prisoners to the Fortitude. John is amongst those listed. Wonder why he didn't make the newspapers which can have details of the offence.

At the same sessions a Thomas Drinkwater, age 18, was tried and sentenced to 4 months imprisonment for "stealing a quantity of earthenware, the property of James Leslie, of Anderton". This is possibly the Thomas, bap 18 Jul 1823, Middlewich, parents George and Esther.
Your John may have had a brother Thomas, bap 8 Jul 1821, Bowdon, parents William and Ann.

John did make the papers when the Manchester Courier, and General Lancashire Advertiser, 5 Jan 1839, reported an assault on a constable at Altrincham. Wm. Drinkwater and two others were committed for trial - John Drinkwater "the principal offender" had absconded.
Nonetheless, FindMyPast has a court record for the County Adjourned Sessions, Knutsford 2 January 1839 where a John Drinkwater, age 30, received a sentence of 12mths imprisonment with sureties for assaulting a peace officer.