Author Topic: 1942 Stillbirth  (Read 1051 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1942 Stillbirth
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 October 20 22:19 BST (UK) »
Certs are issued by GRO  , you need to give as much info as possible, they have separate registers

Louise Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 October 20 22:33 BST (UK) »
Stillbirths can be caused by trauma such as the placenta detaching before the baby is born so has not yet breathed and the blood supply to the baby’s lungs therefore oxygen is cut off.
Strangulation by the umbilical cord getting around the baby’s neck.
Nowadays with scans that would be seen and can be acted upon.
Neonatal deaths through a particularly  difficult  birth.Womenwho suffer calcium deficiency ie Rickets, have deformed  pelvises and the baby can
not pass through, often it is too late for a Caesarian section to save the baby even if the mother can be saved so the baby  dies
Girls married far too young not even in their teens ,also have deformed pelvises so the same story.
Forceps could cause brain damage to a baby ,trauma can cause a baby not to breathe hence the tradition of smacking a baby so  the  shock of that caused a sharp intake of breath ,exactly what is needed .
Too high a dosage of painkilling drugs get into the baby ‘s blood as well as the mother’s .So an overdose given the baby’s size and weight.
Most of the foregoing if not all pertain to births in much earlier times when poor women just had a neighbour who delivered babies,not qualified at all ,,,sometimes skilled but with no real medical knowledge .
Sadly with all the modern equipment and qualified Nurses and Midwives it still happens .Very very sad, and sometimes no real reason is found.

Viktoria.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 October 20 23:12 BST (UK) »
I believe you will find that only the parents are allowed access to a still birth registration, or a sibling if the parents are deceased. I stand to be corrected.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 October 20 08:20 BST (UK) »
It might have changed but about 5 years ago I ordered one for a friend, it was her sisters birth certificate I wanted, I do believe I rang and spoke to a very helpful person, I did the dealings not the sister

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 October 20 09:03 BST (UK) »
I applied for the certificate of my mum's twin sister about 6 years ago.

Had to ring Southport GRO, and explained what I wanted and the reason why.
They sent me forms to fill in.
Sent these back by snail-mail, together with a cheque.
Also had to explain in writing why I wanted the cert.

Certificate duly arrived a few weeks later.

No cause of death - only a live birth can have a subsequent death?
No forename on cert - in all other respects it is similar to a Birth Certificate.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 October 20 10:18 BST (UK) »
Would a certificate have been issued to the parents of a stillborn baby born in 1942?

Officially yes, whether this always happened in practice, no. Numerous parents of stillborn babies even up to the 1960s have found the stillbirth of their baby has not been recorded.

If the event had to be certified in 1942 are the certificates held locally or/and in the Central Registry?

All stillbirths from first day of July, nineteen hundred and twenty-seven had to be registered and a stillbirth certificate supplied. The Stillbirth Register is held by the GRO.

Could I apply for copy of the certificate - the parents of the child were my uncle and aunt?

Yes, any person in the world is entitled to apply for a copy of a stillbirth certificate for any stillborn. Parents of the stillborn and siblings of the stillborn, if the parents are deceased have an uncontested right to be supplied with a certificate on payment of the appropriate fee.
All other people must give the Registrar General their reason for wanting a copy of the certificate and it his/her duty to decide whether to allow or disallow their application.

Are details - possible cause of stillbirth? - recorded on the certificate and would place of burial be included.   Thanks.

If the cause is known it should be recorded on the certificate, however in many cases the cause is not known, the place of burial is not recorded.
See http://anguline.co.uk/cert/birth.html for examples of a 1931 stillbirth certificate and a later redacted stillbirth certificate.

Cheers
Guy
PS the cost used to be £15, I am not certain of today's cost
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.