Author Topic: Trying to trace medals  (Read 386 times)

Offline zeebra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to trace medals
« on: Friday 09 October 20 21:47 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather, William Millsopp joined the Royal Artillery 5 December 1900 (Number 3949). He eventually returned to Britain 10 January 1908 and placed on the Reserve List.
(Listed by the Army 11/1/1908 to 10/4/1914 Home)
He was called up 11 September 1914 and eventually sent to France. He was awarded the Military Medal in 1915 and I was able to buy it last year from a dealer.
The problem is that I have no idea what other medals he was entitled to. I have seen a copy of a medal card and it mentions the MM but not much else.
Can someone tell me what other medals he would possibly have been due, and if it is possible to get duplicates!
(I am also hoping I can get details of the circumstances relating to the MM at some time in the future)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Bill Crossan
Crossan - Lanarkshire,
Millsopp - Armagh - Lanarkshire,
Carroll - Sligo - Glasgow,
Donnelly - Donegal - Fort William - Glasgow, O'Donnell - Donegal,
Graham - Donegal - Renfrewshire - Lanarkshire, Gilchrist - Portobello - Lanarkshire - Whitehaven, Scott - Portobello - Lanarkshire

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace medals
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 October 20 22:10 BST (UK) »
The Medal Index Card should give details of his medals and the date he went on active service.  It should also give the date active service commenced.  These are abbreviated and not always easy to decipher.

Depending on when he was sent on active service he should have been entitled to:

EITHER 14 Star - the 1914 Star (the "Mons Star" issued to regulars and volunteers on active service in 1914)
OR 15 Star - the 1914-15 Star (issued to regulars and volunteers on active service in 1915 - before conscription began in 1916)
AND BWM - the British War Medal
AND VM - the Victory Medal

Philip

ADDED - it is not possible to buy official duplicates of Great War medals, but replicas are readily available on sites such as e-bay.  The original medals were engraved with name, number, and unit - these come up on e-bay but I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a named serviceman's medals and attributing them to my relative.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zeebra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 October 20 22:37 BST (UK) »
Philip
Thanks for the information. Points me in the right direction.

Bill
Crossan - Lanarkshire,
Graham - Donegal - Renfrewshire - Lanarkshire, Gilchrist - Portobello - Lanarkshire - Whitehaven, Scott - Portobello - Lanarkshire

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 October 20 10:49 BST (UK) »
His medal card is top right.  Top left is also his and has his enlistment date

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D4067831  in his case the 1914 Star (he actually went to France on 11 Sep 1914) plus the other two as Philip describes.

The notations on his card about issue and reissue relate to the initial misspelling of his name and initial and the return of the Star for amendment (this comes from the award roll).  He went with 2nd Brigade RFA on 11 Sep 1914.  Some of the men of 2nd Bde applied for the Clasp and Roses https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/the-british-campaign-medals-for-the-great-war/ but he hasn't done although I believe he could have.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 October 20 10:53 BST (UK) »
Adding - he was still in 2nd Brigade RFA when awarded his MM.  The MM card has 21 Battery which was one of the batteries of the brigade.  It may be that the war diary of the brigade will give a clue to the MM.http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352310

This can be downloaded free at present.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline zeebra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 October 20 14:43 BST (UK) »
MaxD

Thanks for the links to the National Archive.
I had a read through the war diary for 1915 but couldn't find anything, but it was more of a scan. I will probably go back to it. The medal cards were interesting but also a bit sad. In the left hand column and three down is a James Millsopp, his brother who was killed at Looes in 1915. He was a miner and in a reserved occupation but about 6 months after William was called back James signed up.

Thanks again

Bill
Crossan - Lanarkshire,

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 October 20 15:40 BST (UK) »
Bill

Wrong year.  MM gazetted in Oct 1917 suggests action 2 to 3 months before that.  In Sep 1917 CO 2 Bde RFA sends 6 Div Arty a brief summary of the actions of his batteries around Fosse 7 between Mar and Sep 1917.

The cover note says "There were many instances of individual gallantry in connection therewith, which I have not mentioned, but which received recognition in the shape of immediate awards".

It'd be worth looking through those months.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk