Author Topic: Diary - Friday 9th October  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Friday 9th October
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 October 20 15:52 BST (UK) »
Dull and chilly - Asda delivery arrived a little later than usual (although still within allotted timespan) with a nice cheery driver. 

My brother in law finally got his knee op yesterday (previous 3 dates all cancelled).  He has some pretty complex health issues and last time in hospital 2/3 years ago got sepsis.   Had to be in at 7am but operation wasn't until 1.30pm.   He texted just after 5pm to say he was feeling okay but knee numb.   Not sure how exactly they did it because I know they were concerned about giving him anaesthetic but he did mention he'd had 2 epidurals!   Said he fancied a sausage roll and a cup of tea but all he could have was a little water. (Wonder how he's feeling today - will hear more about it tomorrow as dining out with my sister (saves us both cooking).

More knitting and sewing up (hate doing the latter).   

Potato skins with cheese and bacon for meal, and evening spent between knitting, sudoku and watching tv.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 October 20 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mowsehowse for the pictures... lovely blue sky there... at least they’re quite far out...I had visions of them closer..
When we stayed in The Rocks area of Sydney we could see from our balcony the roof top pool of The Hyatt hotel... in front of that was a docking station for cruise ships.... one morning it was empty the next the whole space was filled up with a ship... so the people on the upper decks could look right down at close quarters to the Hyatt’s roof top and pools.... couldn’t believe the space it filled... massive...

Annette - Good to hear your BiL had his knee op, I’m sure he’ll make a good recovery... nice to hear that these sorts of ops are now taking place..
Well done keeping up with the knitting!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 October 20 16:36 BST (UK) »
It is difficult to say how far out they are..... the beach is considered very safe as it has such a gentle slope for such a long way.
The tide sometimes goes out as far as the harbour entrance on the right.
Also, with my little camera it was hard to get all 3 ships into one photo. The 2 pictures were taken within about 30 minutes of walking, trying to get all 3 in at the same time.
What a memory of The Rocks in Sydney..... we were only there for one afternoon. Most amazing.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 October 20 16:43 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Mark, must be a boost you and your family

Everyone sounds busy today, can't say I have been so busy,  had to return a really nice anorak type coat,  disappointed as it was hood attached,  will keep looking, lunch out and a look around a hobby shop, needed new card for a notice board, was interested to see a certain tape in really pretty designs, plus a  thinner one named after the babies of the bigger one, does make sense  but not sure if I  can advertise , also bought a glue gun, not sure what I  will do with it yet,  plenty of ideas, just got to put them into practice

I bought a new cleaner, was very disappointed as it was no better than a carpet cleaner, so still looking for a replacement.

MH, my brother will be interested in the ships in the bay, when we were there recently there were 4 in the bay.

Take care everyone , keep your chins up

Louise Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 October 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say for those who are interested about the saga of  my wedding ring, have been without it for 2 weeks,  have been to see the jeweller today and he has agreed to stretch my ring, 4 sizes, well I was staggered to be honest but it is my knuckle that is much larger, got to decide what to do with my engagement ring but I will be so pleased to get my ring back, I don't like being without it.

Louise Maud

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 October 20 17:02 BST (UK) »
As Vac cleaners go, Miele's been really good after guarantee ran out on repairs, etc.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 October 20 17:09 BST (UK) »
Had one of those for years but I want a cordless now, don't feel happy with an electric flex but it has been a good machine

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 October 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
Mowsehowse - yes The Rocks area and the harbour with the ferry’s going hither and thither was a wonderful place to be... memories eh... all we’ve got at the moment!

LM - good to hear you’ll get your ring back soon, I’m sure you’ve felt bereft without it I know I would....

Vacuum I’ve gone for is cordless Dyson... hope it lives up to expectations... keep you posted once I get it!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 October 20 17:30 BST (UK) »

...can’t imagine seeing three large cruise ships all at once.....Caroline

Paignton.... one of the ships is directly in that peep, above the house roof tops!!

Thanks, yes a bundle of joy, wore a mask just in case, he was quiet here earlier and we can hand him back too  ;D  ;D

My Great Aunt (lived to age 95) took my family, also her Sister (dec'd) and Brother (my late Grandfather) to Goodrington in the 1970s twice, for Summer holidays. The row of B & B facing the park (adjoining the Steam railway and sidings) mostly seem to be Lets a few years back.

A historic Inn I helped to save from demolition many years ago, was once owned by Mr W. F. Adams (Brewer) and he lived at Mentone, Tor Vale, Torquay (Mentone, a Listed Building since 1975 it seems).

Be a shame if any further Covid restrictions damage it. A gap in the Licences c.1712 to 1751 stop me confirming a Licensee before 1752. The building belonged to the Right Honourable Henry Lord Paget the [First] Earl of Uxbridge in 1746 and his Tenant was in Arrears earlier in the 1730s .

Annette, I hope the knee operation went well and good progress is made.

Take care all, Mark