Author Topic: Diary - Friday 9th October  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Friday 9th October
« on: Friday 09 October 20 23:27 BST (UK) »
Well looks like me up first tonight!

Today was supposed to be a wet and windy day... looking out of the window when I got up it looked quite sunny!.... Come on weather forecasters get your acts together.....if I’d know that the washing machine would have been set last night so quickly put it on... one lot out next lot in! ...opps that duvet cover has seen its last... great big rip in it.. already repaired once but now completely had it...sure I’ll be able to find a use for it....
Had a look at Dunelms... found a suitable one ordered and delivery going to be free...
Next up I’ve finally bitten the bullet and ordered a new vacuum 😬😭😭... got lots of JL vouchers so that takes the sting out of the ridiculous cost.... not going to be buying another  one ever this ones going to last!!! Free delivery for that too...
Had a coffee and a sit down ... should have had a stiff drink after those purchases...
Had paperwork to do took rest of the morning...
After lunch we played scrabble... I won so now we’re all square...
OH new golf clubs arrived... he really wanted to test them out but as they’re for his birthday told him he’d have to wait!
Having spent next to nothing in the last six months we’ve out done ourselves this last month! Oh well it’s only money and we can’t take it with us...
Thought I’d do the ironing as both lots of washing dried well in the breeze....
Dinner was venison meatballs in pesto sauce with spaghetti and broccoli...
Watched tv ... started another blanket in pale yellow ...
Looks like things are going from bad to worse around various parts of not only UK but in Europe too... I hope the right decisions are taken but can’t bear thought of being in lockdown again.... but if needs must....quite a sobering thought....

Hope others have had a better day...
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Friday 9th October
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 October 20 00:36 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I'm sure it'll be lovely to have your new duvet cover and no doubt you'll put the old one to good use, maybe for toys or bunting. Sounds like the new cleaner is a corker of a price but at least delivery is free!

My day:

Woke to a wet day but it had cleared by ten and the sun came out.

Art class Zoom lesson this morning, I so wish it was in the afternoon. My friend L and I didn't get together today as she had been away for a week- her travelling and mixing with other people made us both think it was best to miss this week. Got some good advice from the teacher on current project and did some work on it. Doing this on Zoom is fine and much better than not having a class but I have to admit that some folks get on my nerves! Some just waffle on and of course when you do that on Zoom it focuses on that person. And then there are others who take a phone call and don't mute themselves so we're all treated to them telling the caller that they're in a Zoom meeting and will go in the other room. Or they don't mute when they get up and put the kettle on..... I could go on forever. It's new to us all but some people don't make any attempt to find out how to use it properly.

Was hungry after class finished so left all the stuff I had out until after lunch, eventually got round to tidying it up. Went for a walk mid afternoon, was bright but the wind was stronger than I expected and quite chilly.

Back home, made changes to Tesco order for tomorrow before I forgot. Then had to ring about something I'd been trying to sign into yesterday that locked me out. I know the enhanced security is necessary but this particular one is quite a challenge. After I was given access again I had to wait for a text with a new number, that proved futile so I phoned again and on and on it went. Still haven't got in.

My friend L phoned for a post mortem on the art class, seems it wasn't just me getting frustrated with people.

Couldn't decide what to have for tea, made a frittata (omelette with spuds in! ), it was tasty. Had a message from friend B, she lives in the local lockdown area but it hasn't made a lot of difference to her, she's working at home anyway and her partner is still going out to work.

Proper chilly out this evening when I went out to the bin,  brrr.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 October 20 09:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, most of us just pootle along doing what we do most days, and lucky that nothing worse is happening I suppose.  Well done on drawing level with Scrabble Caroline, and well done on sticking with the art class Roobarb. Next week hopefully you can double up with your chum again.
Our main line telephone system (2 handsets) has let us down several times lately, (it might be 15 years old,) so we ordered a new one.
Click and collect from Sainsbury's.... spent £30 while collecting!  If every customer does that, what a good return for a small counter space in the back corner of the store!
I bought a pair of leggings for winter wear around the flat, and some other bits of groceries* on offer, plus 10% of total on one real impulse buy, which is some halloween cake toppers to post to my grandaughters in mid-Devon. :D
Stopped off at a different beach for a walk on the way back. What a lovely sunny morning and I really enjoyed the different perspective of Torbay.
Currently there are 3 Dutch cruise ships at anchor, so we postponed our evening meal, (a couple of ready meal curries*), and walked down past the pier before dark.
Surprising what a difference it seemed to make to my mood simply taking a slightly different walk!!
Hope everyone has a reasonable day.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 October 20 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hello All

I've got a Grandson  :)  :D The Births  ;D still keep happening despite difficult times.

My Chauffeur (Mrs P) and I both went for our food shopping yesterday.

We went for an afternoon walk (despite a patch of angry looking dark grey clouds overhead), a few rain spots then dry to the village centre and back.

Distancing has seemed very odd in a sociable place where we spoke face to face previously before February.

Take care all, Mark

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 October 20 13:04 BST (UK) »
Congratulations on the new arrival Mark.  :D
A bright spot amongst everything else.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 October 20 13:34 BST (UK) »
Yes indeed, what a lovely event.

Well folks I cut my own hair today, good job I was not planning on going anywhere in the near future except Eye  Clinic at Rochdale next Monday all being well ,for laser treatment .
They are looking after me.
Daughter sent some special  seasoning she thinks I will like and a pretty mask with poppies on it ,Remembrance Sunday will not be the same this year so the masks are it is hoped ,a way of raising funds .
Flash Harry’s parents had a virtual Parents’ Evening ,all is well and school are impressed with how much he can explain.
He is receptive so get all sorts of info from lots of people in his immediate circle .Remembers well too.
Sunny here after a dreadful stormy night , water water everywhere!

Chicken for tea ,new potatoes, roasties ,green beans and cabbage .
Apple sauce and stuffing .
Then boring yogurt for dessert but with a nice banana .

Got my art stuff out ,just watercolours ,but thought I might do some cards .
I have a stock of Christmas cards but like special ones for the family .
We will see,Eyes will be the determining factor !
Envelopes will be the problem.

Hungry now ,so some cream cheeses, olives, tiny tomatoes, chutney grapes, Ryvita black pepper etc.
Cheerio , Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 October 20 14:12 BST (UK) »
If you do any internet shopping Viktoria, you should be able to get a packet of envelopes on-line to fit your largest card.
(The W*rks or Amaz*n)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 October 20 14:17 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Mark for the birth of a new grandchild... such joy in days of gloom...

Mowsehowse looks like you had a spending spree too!
It’s always nice to do something a little out of the usual these days...can’t imagine seeing three large cruise ships all at once...

Wow Viktoria cutting your own hair that was brave but well done you!
Glad to hear you’re being looked after by the eye clinic and hope your trip is successful wearing your new poppy face covering you’ll look a treat.
Is there anything you can’t turn your hand to.... painting your own Christmas cards now too... a lady of many hidden talents!

Roobarb- I know just what you mean with zoom calls where there are quite a few people... there were only six of us for our book club meeting the other day and have to take turns in talking or it gets impossible...sorry your experience wasn’t good... wonder how it could be handled to make it a better experience for all...

I shall certainly be making use of the old duvet! Nothing goes to waste in this house!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 October 20 15:37 BST (UK) »

...can’t imagine seeing three large cruise ships all at once.....Caroline

There is a sea peep from about 2 miles inland we can glimpse driving into Paignton.... one of the ships is directly in that peep, above the house roof tops!!