Author Topic: Margaret Titterington born about 1776, Clapham help please  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Titterington born about 1776, Clapham help please
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 October 20 20:50 BST (UK) »
To be honest I am still a bit frustrated with this search. We haven't found a marriage for Robert Titterington (and hence a mother for Margaret).

On the death record for the Robert who died in 1806 (with a birth year of c 1733) -- no wife's name is shown - whilst at that time in those registers, it was amazingly showing occupation, wife's name and cause of death.

Also who was the 81 year old Nanny Titterington of Keasdon who died in 1815? Had she been Robert's wife - theoretically she would have been shown on his death record.

Nanny is a nuisance of a name - it may have started as Nanny, Ann, Anne, Annie, Anna, Hannah, Nancy. So things aren't fully solved unfortunately.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 17:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for all that lovely data, Calverley Lad - that was very kind of you and although I cannot link with "my Titteringtons", who knows what will turn up.
Pennines, once again, thank you very much again for your latest post.
I have spent a little time looking at all the data that you and the others have so kindly provided me with. I've also looked at Trees - I'm usually a bit wary of some of the information on these, as I think that some of them are wrong.
Now it seems to me, looking at the baptisms with Robert as the father, that after the 5/11/1757 marriage, there is a stream of children baptised in Clapham, starting with John in 1758. The worry is is the gap between Mary in 1769 and Margaret in 1775, but according to Trees, there was also a Christopher bap 25/10/1770 and died Nov 1791; I wonder if there were others too.
Then we come to the 2 Margarets, (and of course the second marriage on 1/4/1775). But look at the abodes - Keasdon features on the 1775 one (and on the subsequent baptisms of 3 of Margaret's children) - I think that this is the really vital information that differentiates the baptisms from the 2 Roberts.
I think that "my" Robert is the one who died in 1806 and I think that there is a good chance, that his wife (Agnes), was the Nanny Titterington buried on 7/4/1816). I couldn't agree more with you, re your comments on the name Nanny - it's caused me trouble with other lines too!
I'd very much value your opinion on this,
Thanks once again, Kit

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 18:45 BST (UK) »
Kit - this is just a preliminary quick reply before I study your message properly.

In 1806 - and around that time - the details of burials in the Clapham register are quite remarkable in view of the detail they include.

I have attached a copy of the page heading (it's crooked because that's how it has been filmed).

As you will see there is a column for 'Wife's name' and in Robert Titterington's case no wife is shown in that column - it is blank.

Like you - I would have thought that Nanny could be the Agnes - as her birth year, from her age at death - is just one year younger than Robert.

It is also feasible that Agnes became 'Nanny'. I am just concerned that there is no wife's name on his burial entry.

I will re-look at your message to see what other points you have made (My befuddled brain can sometimes only concentrate on one thing at once!!)

By the way -- following Calverley Lad's input - I did notice quite a lot of Titteringtons in Giggleswick
(Just apropos of nothing, Russell Harty used to teach at Giggleswick School - not in the 1700s though!!)

I am not getting the option to attach! Hence page headings in the burial register at that time are;

Burials in 1806.  Profession.  Wife's name.  Died.  Buried.  Aged.  Disorder.

(In the case of a deceased female it gives her relative's detail in the same column of her name.
In both male and female cases the 'abode' is given against their name).
Places of interest;

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 19:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Pennines - I completely concur with the points you have raised re Robert's burial record in 1806 and Nanny's burial in 1816, particularly the latter. That's why I would really value your input!
Kind regards,
Kit

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 20:09 BST (UK) »
Kit -- I have been checking the actual filmed pages for Clapham regarding the other points raised;

5/11/1757 -the marriage to Agnes Hardy at Clapham by Banns. Shows Robert as a Webster. Both bride and groom are 'of this parish'.

1/4/1775 - the marriage to Mary Thistlethwaite by Banns. Robert is a Husbandman no confirmation whether he is a bachelor or a widower. Mary is a Spinster and they are both 'of this parish.'

1775 Baptism of a Christopher Titterington.--- there are none in Clapham (or anywhere else in that year coming up). I have looked through the actual pages around the date given.

Burials;

Christopherus 1709 no age but of Light Birks?
Christopherus 1732 of Keasdon, Agricola.
Christopher, son of Robert, 1791 no age, of Clapham.
Christopher 1812 of Ingleton, aged 48 - Accident.

I am not sure if that clarifies anything or not, to be honest.
I am really tempted to think the Nanny who died was the Agnes who married a Robert in 1757 - but we are always taught 'not to assume!' In addition, at marriage that Robert was a 'Webster' -- which is a Weaver. Maybe he was and only became a Farmer later.

It is a bit 'iffy'!

Have you by any chance checked these on Family Search? Just to confirm these findings please.

According to Family Search Wiki they should be on the site, but probably only the transcribed versions.

If you search for a surname of Titterington with a father's name of Robert - location Clapham - you should hopefully clarify whether I have missed any (I would hate to have done that).

Places of interest;

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Pennines, thanks very much again for that.
I've been trying to do some more "digging"!
Re: Christopher bap 25/10/1770 - I got this from a Tree, but then I have also got (from family search and Ancestry), a bap for a Christopher Titterington in Clapham on 25/12/1771, with father Robert!
I suspect that the latter is the more reliable! Trees also state that he is the one buried in Nov 1791, but it could also be the one born in 1788!
I've also found a record (Transcript) for a Robert Titterington of Ceasden Lane in the parish of Clapham, died in 1806, Yeoman, in UK, Death Duty Registers.
So, this ties in with several of the bapts after the 1757 marriage, (which mention Keasdon).
Also, I have found the following bapts in Gigglewick:
Ann Titterington bap 30/3/1783 with parents Robt Titterington + Mary Thistlethwaite
and similarly there is a bap for a William on 22/4/1781. (It would be interesting to see the details).
So, it feels to me that the Robt Titterington + Mary Thistlethwaite couple were "more mobile" than the Robt + Agnes Titterington; I think that the latter were the ones who had children baptised in Clapham, with abode Keasden and buried in Clapham in 1806 and 1816. BUT I CANNOT BE SURE!
The other couple, I feel had different abodes for the baptisms of their children, with some being baptised in Giggleswick. The main sticking point is that I cannot, as yet, find a burial for the other Robert, but Trees have Mary Titterington (nee Thistlethwaite) , buried in Clapham in Oct 1837.(Again, It would be interesting to see the details).
I'd once again very much value your opinion,
Thank you very much again for all your tremendous help,
Kit

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Kit -- I hope I have picked up all the events you have mentioned - but if I have missed any - just let me know.

25? Dec 1771; Christopher, son of Robert Titterington of Green Gill (baptism) (Surname had been transcribed as Fitterington on Find My Past hence I won't originally have picked this one up).

1770; -- I could not find one baptised in that year.

1791; -- Christopher son of Robert Titterington of Clapham - burial, no age given for Christopher.

-------------------
GIGGLESWICK.

These registers are on the lines of Dade Registers - named after William Dade who believed more family details should be included in Parish Registers. Sadly not everyone agreed - many vicars thought it gave them too much work!
As it is - where these types of records WERE used - it was just for the latter part of 18th century and early part of 19th century.

30 March 1783;  (Baptism)
Ann, daughter of Robert Titterington of Bridgholm?, son of Richard Titterington of Dubgarth in the parish of Clapham,by Mary his wife, daughter of William Thistlethwaite of Bantree Top in the parish of Clapham.

22 April 1781 (Baptism)
William, son of Robert Titterington of Knight Stainforth, son of Richard Titterington of the parish of Clapham, by Mary his wife, daughter of William Thistlethwaite in the parish of Clapham.

MARY TITTERINGTON, death 1837

Kit are you sure about this one please? There are no burials in either Clapham or Giggleswick in 1837 for a Mary Titterington. In addition, if she was buried in October -- Civil Registration of BMDs had started in July 1837. She is not listed in the Civil Reg Index, either on Ancestry or on the GRO website.
Places of interest;

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 20:57 BST (UK) »
Bless you Pennines once more for your tremendous kindness - I just hope that I haven't caused you too much trouble/work!
Thanks very much indeed for the data on Christopher - at least that has cleared up one thing, and really brings home to me, (again!), that not all Trees are reliable!
I've come across Dades Registers before (in Kirkburton); they are simply HEAVEN, but unfortunately the system was not adopted very much at all.
Thanks also for the 2 Giggleswick baptisms - these have been particularly useful; I cannot find Bridgholm, but Knight Stainforth, I think was in Little Stainforth, which again, to me, would indicate that Robert and Mary seem to have lead a more nomadic life than Robert and Agnes - would you agree? I think that this is a crucial point in trying to differentiate the baptisms for the 2 Roberts.
(I'm really struggling with the place names - I think that some of them are individual farms/homesteads etc and I cannot locate most of them on modern maps!)
Now according to one Tree Mary was buried in Oct 1837 in Clapham - like you I checked with www.gro.gov.uk BUT COULD NOT FIND IT.
But interestingly, I have just found the following burials in Caton, Lancs:
Mary Titterington buried 18/3/1836, aged 85, abode: Caton (therefore born abt 1751)
Robert Titterington buried   14/7/1797 - no further information. So, I'm wondering if these are Robert and Mary (Thistlethwaite).
Thank you once again for all your kindness,
Kit

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 21:26 BST (UK) »
The Caton Registers, which are on Ancestry under 'Lancashire Burials' give absolutely no additional information. They are also on the Lancashire On Line Parish Clerks site.
www.lan-opc.org.uk

In fact in the same year (1797) that Robt Titterington was buried -- there are 2 more Marys!!

At the moment -- if it was me - I would tend to concentrate on the Keasdon records, as I am assuming your ancestor was Margaret (although we should never assume should we!!)

There is a danger of widening this search too far with all the Roberts who are around.

My major concern is that, no wife was shown against the Robert who was buried in 1806 - whereas a wife was shown in many cases at that time, of the men who were buried at Clapham.

On the face of it you would tend to think that particular Robert's wife had already died. In which case 'Nanny' may be a red herring!

Let's face it -- if the wife's names WEREN'T shown in that register - I would certainly think that Nanny of Keasdon was probably Robert's wife, with the location and birth years fitting.

I am glad it's not my decision and can wimp out!

Places of interest;