Author Topic: Margaret Titterington born about 1776, Clapham help please  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Titterington born about 1776, Clapham help please
« Reply #36 on: Friday 16 October 20 08:49 BST (UK) »
Oh Kit what a lovely message.

I think Jon's find is the icing on the cake with this case. Not only does that Will reveal the existance of wife 'Ann', but also mentions in particular, son Christopher - who was clearly alive at the time the Will was written.

Good luck with your ongoing research.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 17 October 20 19:46 BST (UK) »
I quite agree Pennines - John's find was brilliant! And it just goes to demonstrate the excellence of the help offered by fellow Rootschatters!
I've been looking at the Inventory and Will for Richard Titterington, 1757, and I have tried to download that too, but have had problems-
I have either been able to save a portion of the image/page (on a magnification that I can read), or if I minimise the image to get the full page in, and save that, and then enlarge, it is very blurred.
So, I assume that I need another image viewer? My hubby and me have spent ages trying to sort this out but have failed!
So, please John, can you tell me how I go about getting/using an image viewer for other records on family search? (I have found other Wills in the same record set!)
Sorry to be a nuisance,
Thanks,
Kit

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 17 October 20 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
Well it starts really with the inventory here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3VC-J9NB-Y?i=301

Make a note of the image number (302)
Above that on the screen is "Film # 008868117"
Highlight and copy that number, which is the DGS number

Click on the "images" option (above the DGS number and under" FamilySearch")
Takes you here
https://www.familysearch.org/records/images/

Click on "Show More Search Options"
Then on "Show Advanced Search"

You then get a box to paste (or type!) the DGS number, 008868117 (don't really need the zeros at the beginning!) and click search
And you should then see 1 Result
Cumberland, England, United Kingdom / 1749–1770 / Will Record / 983 images

Click on the 983 image count
You are then here
https://www.familysearch.org/records/images/image-details?dgsNumbers=008868117&rmsId=TH-7763-97487-42386-99&imageIndex=0

Change the image number in the box to 302 and hit enter, click on the image, you should then be able to see the inventory you want to save
https://www.familysearch.org/records/images/image-details?dgsNumbers=008868117&rmsId=TH-7763-97487-42386-99&imageIndex=301&singleView=true

Ready to download via tools on the left (or shift and d?)
Forward to next images and download also.

Can't really tell for how long we we will be able to do this, but it's a boon at the moment
John

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 18 October 20 12:51 BST (UK) »
Jon --- I am sure you could be employed by 'Family Search' as a Tutor! You certainly seem to know the site inside out.

Some years ago I actually took a course entitled 'So you think you know Family Search' -- run by a really lovely lady who actually works in their centre in Utah. However the site has evolved SO MUCH since then, that I feel I know nothing at all!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 18 October 20 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi John and Pennines,
Once more many thanks for your kind replies.
John, I am truly amazed by what you have found re these wills - it is an absolute treasure!
I spent a little time getting to grips with your instructions, but oh was it worth it - not only have I got a beautiful copy of Richard Titterington's Inventory 1757, but I have also managed to download 3 other Lancashire/Cheshire Wills, which I was really keen to have.
You are brilliant, not only to find these wills, but to be able to help a muddlehead like myself access/download them. I am thrilled!
One final thing, you wrote:
"Well it starts really with the inventory here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3VC-J9NB-Y?i=301"
Since there is no index, I assume that you manually searched through the appropriate record set? If so, then that was extremely kind of you.
Well, I'm off to search for other Wills, but I can only thank you both once more for your amazing kindness, efforts on my behalf, expertise and patience,
You have both been brilliant!
Kit

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 18 October 20 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks to you both for the kind words.
Yes, the bottom line is that you have to find the will yourself, but I think those ones are arranged alphabetically, so not so much trouble.
Don't forget that inventory goes with the administration.

The big problem with their "Explore Historical Images" is that is not very easy to find the film you want by searching. You can put a place in, but the results are complicated and the descriptions of contents rather vague. If you want something like wills, it is even harder.
So find the details of whatever film you need via the catalogue, and then you can put put in the DGS number to get hold of it on images.
Good luck
John