Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 10th October  (Read 678 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 10th October
« on: Saturday 10 October 20 22:11 BST (UK) »
Got a text message at 01.10 this morning that was apparently from Vodafone, it said that I'd used nearly all of my data allowance. I thought that was odd and wondered if it was spam. Another one arrived at 01.14 saying I'd now used all of my data allowance! Would have to query that much later.

Out for a walk late morning, wasn't sure if it was going to rain but luckily it stayed dry. When I got home I rang my network to ask if they'd sent these messages – if so there was something very wrong. Yes they did send the messages. I spent half an hour on the phone to a woman who came up with every excuse – Did I have mobile data turned on? Yes, I only turn it off when abroad. Oh well it must be that. No it isn't, if it was this would have happened before. My wifi wasn't connected, the apps run in the background etc etc. At one point she said that 1gb was a low amount of data and did I want to increase it – no I don't, I don't need it. My phone is connected to my home wifi, I know that there's no problem with my wifi, I've hardly been away from home for seven months and I use my other devices at home, very rarely use my phone to connect to the internet.. I kept telling her that I use very little data and this was why I was phoning – I know I haven't used 1gb of data. She said that my billing date is next week and she could phone me then and we could look at the details of the data usage together. I asked her what the point of that would be, I'm perfectly capable of looking at that myself. If it tells me that on such and such a date I used however much data at 3pm, where does that get me? She actually said that it doesn't show the time of the usage. Wrong! Eventually it seemed to penetrate that something was wrong here. Hooray! If she'd listened properly in the first place we could have reached this point much more quickly. She said she would contact the technical team and did so while I hung on, she returned and said they would look into it. When I looked later at the data usage there were entries on consecutive days at 11.23, 11.24, 03.24, 13.24, 23.24, 11.24, 07.24. 01.24 etc. I hope they have enough sense to see the pattern here.
The whole conversation put me in a bad mood for ages.

I was then foolish enough to look for a cheaper quote for my car insurance and breakdown cover. No problem with that as such but when I rang to cancel the 'auto renew' on my existing policy I waited through all the usual stuff you get at the beginning of the call then the message said that if you're calling about a renewal that's not within ten days, call back. Grrr! I'd just about had enough when I rang to cancel the breakdown cover, I wasn't going to put up with all that trying to persuade me shenanigans!

Spent the remainder of the afternoon cleaning in the kitchen, it's amazing what grubby marks I could see with my reading glasses on. The sun came out at one point so did a bit of deadheading in the garden, I think the cosmos are on their way out now, they've been glorious.

Tesco delivery arrived about fifteen minutes early. In my eagerness to get some decent bread I'd ordered it twice so I now have two loaves and no room in the freezer! I might separate it into two slice bags and see where I can squeeze it in.

Had my own cheese and wine party tonight – a large glass of Pinot and some cheese and crackers, that's about as exciting as life gets these days.

Hope tody has been less frustrating for everyone else.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 10th October
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 October 20 23:31 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness what a saga.... these phone companies think we’re complete idiots at times.... I’ve been with Vodafone for 20+ yrs now and generally have had a decent rapport with them but just occasionally I get some silly idiot trying to tell me all sorts of rubbish! Hope they sort it out for you Roobarb...
You certainly have had a frustrating day... hope tomorrow proves a better one for you...

My day
Woke quite early and had a read before getting up to nice sunshine... bit breezy but otherwise ok..
After breakfast I amended my Waitrose order for Monday...
Not too sure what I did after that... oh blimy short term memory going south...
We decided to go out in the garden...  OH mowed the front lawn while I swept up round the front of the house ...we edged the drive where grass gradually been growing and creeping over the tarmac at the bottom of the drive... quite amazing how much ground was recovered either side... hopefully now vehicles coming up will see the edges clearly and not drive over the lawn! Swept all the gravel off the tarmac up the drive...
Had lunch....
Wandered down the village to where our friend, who lives up the lane behind us, has a large building he’s doing up to spend time doing up old vintage cars... he had to buy the house the building belonged to so he could then do up the house, sell it and keep the building.... bit long winded and extreme to have to go to to get what he wanted in the village... still house now sold so he’s happy!...
A nice day to be out and to take a walk... something we’ve not done together since OH returned to playing golf!
Once back home we had a cuppa and a game of scrabble.... which I won so hallelujah I’m now in the lead..... don’t suppose that’ll last for long!
By this time it’s nearly 7pm so OH cooked dinner... streak and chips and vegs... few glasses of Rose very nice...
Watched tv...

Felt good to be outside in the sun ...no sewing today!

Hope others had nice weather to enjoy...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 October 20 09:16 BST (UK) »
Caroline , do you take all your clothes off to eat the STREAK and chips? :-[
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 October 20 09:24 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, I have a low amount of mobile data too, (it used to be 500mb so I've always been very careful) I tend to keep mine switched off unless I'm out & think I will need it - which is very seldom.

I don't sleep well so often look on my phone in the night - sometimes I've seen a message 'switching to mobile data' - for some reason my Internet has a habit of dropping out in the early hours & that's when all the apps update (most of which are pre-installed & I don't use eg Google music). So if I've been out & forgotten to switch off mob data, all those updates use that rather than my sleeping WiFi.

My recommendation is you switch off your mobile data & switch it on only when you need to use it. On our recent caravan holiday I was shocked that I used up most of my 2Gb allowance in a week  :o

Pat

Added - I'm with Vodafone & when I got this phone about 18 months ago there was a Vodafone home page which is always on & shows exactly what my mob data usage is & when it renews - maybe you can have that?
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 October 20 09:33 BST (UK) »
I just checked, the 'My Vodafone' app is pre-installed. This is the page I get
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 October 20 10:31 BST (UK) »

;D ;D ;D ;D
Well spotted Jeff.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 October 20 10:47 BST (UK) »
Well done Caroline, winning at Scrabble and Streak to celebrate!!  ;)
I can imagine your frustration Roobarb, this sort of thing drives me to distraction.  The recorded message I have to endure at the start of every call takes longer and longer, and presumably costs me more money every time.
Having been woken twice in rapid succession in a hotel room last year, by someone hacking into a friends Fb a/c, I make a point of turning off my mobile every night, and leaving it another room when possible.
Yesterday, walking through the woods at Dartington we were charmed by 2 little boys absorbed in trying to entice a green and hairy Tussock moth caterpillar, onto a miniature skateboard toy. Their delight on achieving their objective was infectious.
Tree decorations for Oz progressing. 2 finished including noses, mouths and whiskers, and the third one could be finished today hopefully. Really need to post them in the next couple of days.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 October 20 10:56 BST (UK) »
H tells me there is a SETTING (software update) which allows apps only to update when connected to a wi-fi.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 October 20 12:29 BST (UK) »

😳😳😂😂 didn’t spell check that one did I!
In mitigation it was late in the evening when I posted and as I’d said I’d had a few glasses of Rosè! That‘S my excuse m’lord......

Caroline

Added- re phone data usage...I just go to settings and set it for only use of data when actually using the app... can’t say I’ve ever had a problem with excel excessive use... lucky perhaps!
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK