Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 10th October  (Read 406 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 10th October
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 October 20 15:10 BST (UK) »
Please don't spell check Caroline, little things like that give me a much needed laugh!  ;D ;D 

Thanks for all replies re the phone problem.
Pat, my home broadband has done the same sometimes, ie drops out at about midnight but it hasn't done that for a while and certainly not during the time frame this problem relates to. I had most of the apps set to only update over wifi (each app has individual settings, no wonder it took me so long to set the phone up!) and as a precaution I've now made sure that all are wifi only.

However, the point is that if it was due to the apps updating I would have encountered this problem before. I've had the phone for a year now and have been with Vodafone for many years. If this was due to apps updating in the background it would have happened every month. I only turn off the mobile data when I'm abroad and I've never had this problem before. I don't particularly want to turn it off. Last year I'd forgotten to turn it back on when I returned from holiday and when I was trying to use satnav on it I couldn't fathom at first why it wouldn't work!

Looking back at my data usage, the highest was the March bill (for Feb mostly) at 69MB, from April through to August it was between 6 and 12MB per month, then the September bill (for August) was 21MB.

The latest bill shows that in September there were entries for around 1MB until the 25th when it started to sky rocket, 68MB for one entry, another for 92.77 and on it goes with large numbers each day.

I use my tablet or laptop at home, very rarely use my phone for internet access.

The Vodafone woman didn't have a clue, she was just grasping at straws.   
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 October 20 22:26 BST (UK) »
Roobarb I find the young people in our local Vodafone shop very helpful, I usually head there with any queries.

I know you're wary of too much general contact but last time I passed our local shop there was a big sign outside, I think it asked people not to come in if they could see all the staff were occupied, but to queue outside.

I've got a problem with my phone battery at the moment but I dread ringing them as it's so longwinded & I don't always hear well on the phone.  ::)

What you describe sounds very strange & they should be able to explain it.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 October 20 22:41 BST (UK) »
Their technical people are supposed to be looking at it Pat, my bill date is the 18th, if I don't hear from them shortly after I'll ring again. I intend to turn mobile data on again after that and see what happens. There's definitely a rabbit away somewhere!  Makes me wonder if it's a ruse to get me to buy more data  ::) Maybe just my nasty suspicious mind!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales