Author Topic: Tom Wood Ash Lane  (Read 425 times)

Offline stephen spencer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tom Wood Ash Lane
« on: Sunday 11 October 20 04:25 BST (UK) »
I am a member of a local History Group, Upton and North Elmsall History. A long running question locally is how a street got its name. Wondered if anyone has any tips or suggestions what routes are available to solve how places came by their names. TomWood Ash Lane is Upton, Pontefract, West Yorkshire. The map attached is from 1850 it as it’s name on this

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Wood Ash Lane
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 October 20 08:35 BST (UK) »
My initial thought, having looked at the map - there are two Halls in the local area (Upton and North Elmsall) so a possibility of a "celebrated" owner/occupier  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline stephen spencer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 October 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
was my thoughts I have checked census records for Upton Hall back to 1841, think it must have been tenant farmers living there because there was no continuity with different families' living and working there  from 1911 to 1841. When current issue with covid is past will probably have a look in Wakefield Archives to check actual ownership. Local wood is called Walton Wood and on the 1850 map shown it has the same footprint as it does today. Can see no other Woods in area, so my thoughts are same as yours it is probably named after a person

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 October 20 09:39 BST (UK) »
Here's a better map https://maps.nls.uk/view/102345103#zoom=5&lat=6205&lon=3422&layers=BT

I wondered if the "Ash" part (or possibly the "Wood Ash" part) was something to do with the old limestone quarry.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stephen spencer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 October 20 10:04 BST (UK) »
I was thinking of Ash and the tree, didn't spot the quarry at the top of the lane, if Quarry belonged to Tom Wood the lane may have been the place were he tipped his ash from making lime, thanks

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 October 20 10:14 BST (UK) »
I expect the ash would blow around and hang in the foliage either side of the lane and would cover  the lane itself - hence Tom Wood's ash lane perhaps. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 October 20 17:12 BST (UK) »
It’s important to remember that when the military sent their surveyors round in the years after 1850; gathering info. from which they produced Ordnance Survey maps, they simply asked the locals what things were called. Many of the resulting place names, therefore; unless they were fixed with some sort of sign, depended upon who the surveyor asked. Ask the local vicar and get one answer, ask the vilage idiot and get something completely different!