Author Topic: Missing 1881 census , Familysearch/SP ?  (Read 572 times)

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
Missing 1881 census , Familysearch/SP ?
« on: Saturday 10 October 20 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone advise please, I’m obviously doing something stupid, but I can’t find the 1881 scotland census on family Search. On SP the 1881 option is not available, the tick box being shaded out with (LDS). Yet I can’t find it on Family Search. The area I was looking for is not available in ‘81 On FreeCen.
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Missing 1881 census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 October 20 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone advise please, I’m obviously doing something stupid, but I can’t find the 1881 scotland census on family Search. On SP the 1881 option is not available, the tick box being shaded out with (LDS). Yet I can’t find it on Family Search. The area I was looking for is not available in ‘81 On FreeCen.
FS doesn't have it.

Try clicking on the shaded out box on SP and see if it accepts a tick. It does on my screen.

If that fails PM me with all the details and I'll check the CD-ROM version.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 October 20 16:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian. Am I correct that FS did used to have the LDS transcriptions? I managed to find it on Ancestry though (I think).

If it’s not too much trouble I was looking for the Sutherland family Donald and Ann(e) of Latheron, Caithness in 51 and 71 he was born Kildonan, Sutherland, in 61 it was Ragnan, Caithness. Various dates of birth 1817 to 1819. Ann is reported born various Caithness. If I have found the correct family It looks like Donald is now on his own, but now born 1814?

Thanks
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 October 20 16:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian. Am I correct that FS did used to have the LDS transcriptions? I managed to find it on Ancestry though (I think).
I don't know. I have a set of the LDS CD-ROMs so have never bothered to look at any other transcriptions.

If it’s not too much trouble I was looking for the Sutherland family Donald and Ann(e) of Latheron, Caithness in 51 and 71 he was born Kildonan, Sutherland, in 61 it was Ragnan, Caithness. Various dates of birth 1817 to 1819. Ann is reported born various Caithness. If I have found the correct family It looks like Donald is now on his own, but now born 1814?
There are a Donald Sutherland, aged 66, crofter and fisherman, born Latheron, with wife Ann, 63, born India, in Lingland, Latheron, in 1881.

However in 1851 there are two Donald Sutherlands of roughly similar ages with wives named Ann in Latheron. Which one are you looking for?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 October 20 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for looking. The 1851 family I believe is correct is the one in Bruan Mission, that is working back from the 1871 where I found one of their children who is my ancestor. From 71 I found out Donald was born Kildonan, Sutherland.

I believe that the 81 census has Donald alone, age 67 (dob 1814 in Kildonan) a crofter of 3 acres.

Cheers
Caithness; Sutherland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 October 20 18:52 BST (UK) »
The only 67-year-old Donald Sutherland I can find is in the LDS transcription on SP and on the CD-ROM, and indexed in the 1881 census on SP. He is in Badbea, Latheron, with wife Barbara, 69, both born Kildonan, and adopted son Alexander McLean, 14, born England.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 October 20 20:40 BST (UK) »
Well.

There were actually 4 Donald Sutherlands in Latheron with wives named Ann.

Donald Sutherland and Ann McDonald were in Occumster in 1851, Newlands in 1861 and 1871, and Lingland in 1881. Their children included Donald, 24 February 1844; Jean, 1845/6; Johan, 1847/8; George, 1850/1; Catherine, 1851/2; Ann, 1853/4; Jamesina, 1 May 1857; and John, 16 May 1860. Ann McDonald or Sutherland was born in India/the East Indies. Donald's age was 35 in 1851, 46 in 1861, 54 in 1871 and 66 in 1881, so his DoB was between 1814 and 1817. Ann McDonald or Sutherland did not die in Latheron.

Donald Sutherland and Ann Paterson were at Bruan in 1851 and Roster in 1861 and 1871. Ann was a widow in 1881, still at Roster. Their children included Mary Ann, 1847/8; James, 1850; Isabella, 1851/2; Donald, 1853/4; Christina, 2 July 1856; James, 1 January 1860; Williamina, 11 April 1863. Ann Paterson or Sutherland died in Latheron in 1887 aged 64. Donald was 34 in 1851, 42 in 1861, and 53 in 1871, so his DoB was between 1816 and 1819. As the other Donalds were living in 1881, he must be the one who died in 1880 aged 61.

Donald Sutherland and Ann Calder's children included: James, 25 February 1867; Donald, 3 January 1869; Elizabeth, 6 May 1871. Ann Calder or Sutherland died in Latheron in 1887, aged 52. This Donald was aged 40 in 1871 so is too young to be yours.

Another Donald Sutherland and Ann were at Dunbrae in 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1891. Their children included: Ann, 1844/5; Daniel/Donald, 1846/7; John; Janet/Jessie, 1850/1. Janet/Jessie is listed in 1871 as Jessie Wilson, married. I think she married Archer Fortescue Boswell Wilson in West Calder in 1871. I think this must be Anne Gunn or Sutherland, who died in Latheron in 1888 aged 74. Donald was 34 in 1851, 42 in 1861, 54 in 1871 and 65 in 1881. So DoB 1815/1819.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 October 20 21:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian, appreciated the help. Through your advice I tried SP again, and I believe Donald Snr is perhaps deceased as I think I’ve found wife Ann with Children that were there in 71. Now to find Donald’s death cert.

Cheers,
Caithness; Sutherland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 October 20 21:25 BST (UK) »
As I said upthread, I think he must be the one who died in Latheron in 1880 aged 61.

Happy hunting!