Author Topic: Notation in Graves Register Gateshead East Cemetery  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Notation in Graves Register Gateshead East Cemetery
« on: Sunday 11 October 20 12:11 BST (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3VC-8B1R?i=536&cat=825277

In the column headed If Purchased, Number of Entry in Register of Purchased Graves, there are lots which seem to say out

I don't want to email the cemeteries dept at the moment as they will have many other more immediate duties to attend to, probably with reduced staffing levels.

Has anyone ever seen an explanation of this notation?
I am leaning towards perhaps rights to burial could be purchased for x amount of years and if not renewed then this could mean it was out of lease so available for other burials - but that is just a wild guess, not based on any knowledge :-)

Boo

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Notation in Graves Register Gateshead East Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 October 20 12:25 BST (UK) »
In municipal cemeteries there are Purchased Graves where the applicant purchases the Exclusive Right of Burial in this grave, effectively forming a private grave and giving the family of the deceased control of any future burials in that grave. The owner of the Right must give written permission before any burial can take place in a purchased grave. The Exclusive Right has a fixed term - usually 100 years after which time control of the grave is returned to the relevant authority.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 October 20 12:48 BST (UK) »
In municipal cemeteries there are Purchased Graves where the applicant purchases the Exclusive Right of Burial in this grave, effectively forming a private grave and giving the family of the deceased control of any future burials in that grave. The owner of the Right must give written permission before any burial can take place in a purchased grave. The Exclusive Right has a fixed term - usually 100 years after which time control of the grave is returned to the relevant authority.

Stan

Thanks Stan, I do know about purchasing  rights of burial and the purpose of the column.
I am just trying to ascertain what this 'out' may have referred to.

Boo

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 October 20 13:34 BST (UK) »
The first entry here says
"Out of date"
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3VC-8B28?i=51

I am also Out...of my depth!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 October 20 13:45 BST (UK) »
The first entry here says
"Out of date"
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3VC-8B28?i=51

I am also Out...of my depth!

Thanks jonw65 :-)

Ok, Boo's straw clutching wild guess no 2 then :-)

Maybe, you had an option to purchase the rights for x amount of time after the burial.
If the option wasn't taken up by the relatives of whoever was last interred, then it was classed as 'out of date' and regarded as an available space.

lol I can keep the theories up for ages, again based on no knowledge - but at some stage the world will get back to what passes for normal and I'll ask the cemeteries dept - though they too may not know all these years later :-)

Boo

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 October 20 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am sure you are right Boo, broadly speaking. Hopefully the cemetery people will be able to fill in the fine detail when things get back to normal.

Looking at your example pages it seems to be about 20 years and then appx 15 when the graves might have become available again? It doesn't seem very long.
John

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 October 20 14:04 BST (UK) »

Looking at your example pages it seems to be about 20 years and then appx 15 when the graves might have become available again? It doesn't seem very long.
John

Thanks. Yes, that thought did occur to me after I posted - which is where straw clutching wild guess 2 came in :-)
Wondering about the 'possible' explanations keeps me occupied while I search for the definitive or, 'on balance the most likely' explanation :-)

Boo

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 October 20 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am sure you are right Boo, broadly speaking. Hopefully the cemetery people will be able to fill in the fine detail when things get back to normal.

John

The relevant authority retains control of the burials in these graves. Burial Law used to require a 14 year interval between successive burials in one of these graves, (unless the deceased were from the same family), but this law has since been repealed.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 October 20 14:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Stan
14 years. That's very interesting.
I think now that I can remember you mentioning it before. I must read up on those burial laws!
John