Author Topic: Missing records  (Read 839 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing records
« Reply #27 on: Monday 19 October 20 17:31 BST (UK) »

I have a similar problem with missing marriages in Lancashire in the early - mid 1700s, some of the families were Catholic or non-conformists (they're in the 1767 papist list) and I've had a wee bit of luck linking people using Lancashire Wills (freely available online via Familysearch). It's a bit time consuming but quite good fun...
This is a good link to start with (can also be checked against Lancashire Archives catalogue)

http://user.xmission.com/~nelsonb/lws.htm

Same here, mostly with one line who were property holders and business owners. I've just looked for them at that link again. There's a will for the wife of one (he was her 2nd husband) and I noticed that he styled himself "gent.".  He and his brother-in-law (husband of the wife's sister) were sued for debt the following year and he had to sell his house.
No will results for my R.C. lowly ag. lab. ancestor with a locally common name. However there are other wills which may or may not have been relatives and which may provide information to help build up family groups.
Marriage licences, leases, manorial records and quarter session proceedings are other sources to try.   
Cowban